Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had my first DQ today

NicVerAZ

On the last stage I was shooting this morning, which happened to be the qualifier, I got so focused on doing it right that I forgot to remove the magazine before unload and show clear. So when the hammer went down... AD.

This was my 4th match and I actually did much better than the previous times, was hoping for a good score overall.

I suppose there are two types of shooters, those who have DQ-ed and those who will one day.

I am slowly getting over it :)

Just remember, when you're finished you're not on the clock anymore. Take your time and make sure you get the unload show clear part right. I've seen this happen before and it almost happened to a shooter I was ROing last week, he was a newer shooter and I was able to stop him prior to an ND.

On the last stage I was shooting this morning, which happened to be the qualifier, I got so focused on doing it right that I forgot to remove the magazine before unload and show clear. So when the hammer went down... AD.

This was my 4th match and I actually did much better than the previous times, was hoping for a good score overall.

I suppose there are two types of shooters, those who have DQ-ed and those who will one day.

I am slowly getting over it :)

Your quote is correct, the main reason our sport is safe is our procedures, and like the other poster said you are not on the clock take your time, show clear to RO and show clear to yourself, then drop hammer and holster, you will do fine now this misshap is implanted in your mind now you will probally never do it again, be safe and have fun :cheers:

Thanks for the advice. 2 x racking sounds like a good idea, but really it is also about thinking about the steps. You do it until you do not think about it any longer and one day something stupid happens.

I am going to drill it into my brain, over and over, and over...

Although safety is one of the RO's responsabilities, he is not the one with the finger in or around the trigger and it is the shooter's #1 responsability to make sure that everyone including himself is safe.

I am still upset but not because I could have classified well and instead got a DQ. I am upset for embarrassing myself and also doing something potentially dangerous.

I am now adding USC procedures to my daily drill regimen. First and last time.

I almost had my first DQ yesterday. Almost. It was a stage where we start with our toes on the X's, back to the stage to start, gun in holster.

As I was turning I began pulling my gun from holster. The RO didn't call it, but one of the people in our squad said they would have called it on the 180 degree rule, while others said they didn't think I broke 180 rule.

But, bottom line is that even if just one person thinks I might have violated 180 degree rule, then I started pulling too early.

As always, safety first.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I were out practicing the other day, when we practice we do so like we are in a match, when I told her to unload and show clear she did the same thing and had a AD, TWICE, she did it once and was so flustered from her mistake she reracked the slide and did the exact same thing, didn't drop the mag. And that is why we practice like it is a competition. Moral of the story is when you get flustered its time to slow down and start thinking.

I am now adding USC procedures to my daily drill regimen. First and last time.

And that's *exactly* why these things result in a DQ. There is no better way to make you remember it for the rest of your life.

In my case it was an AD while clearing a malfunction. Now one of the things I pay attention to in every dryfire session is putting my trigger outside the trigger guard when moving, reloading, or doing anything except shooting.

If all we got was a procedural or other wrist-slap, we probably wouldn't pay it much attention.

Thanks for the advice. 2 x racking sounds like a good idea, but really it is also about thinking about the steps. You do it until you do not think about it any longer and one day something stupid happens.

I am going to drill it into my brain, over and over, and over...

Sorry to hear about your DQ. I saw roughly similar happen with a very experienced shooter recently so we're all capable of doing it.

My first DQ hasn't happened yet, but I have had one close call on the 180 rule (I think I got to 178.5...).

I practice my show and make ready and my unload and show clear. I've settled into a routine that I use for Production and will use for Single Stack once I move into that division. In fact, I'm keep the front slide serrations off the single stack I'm having built so that I won't be tempted to use them and change the routine that is working just fine for me with Production.

Random tips for ULSC-

After holding the slide open for the RO to inspect the chamber, I will ALWAYS personally inspect the chamber and look down into the frame to make sure I see the ground before dropping the slide for hammer down, holster.

At least as religiously as my pre-stage prep, the first thing I do when I'm done with a stage is take a deep breath, and very deliberately relax my shoulders. I use this (but I'm sure many other tricks will do) to separate my brain from the pace of running the stage and change over to consciously performing the next steps with thought and without rushing. My personal little reminder that I'm no longer on the clock, and that I should act like it.

-424D57

It has either happened, or it will. Use it as a lesson. Sorry it happened.

I still think this is untrue. People DQ because of their actions. Those actions are not ingrained in every shooter, and there is no reason to believe every USPSA shooter will DQ at some point in time.

I still think this is untrue. People DQ because of their actions. Those actions are not ingrained in every shooter, and there is no reason to believe every USPSA shooter will DQ at some point in time.
Gary, I agree...it's just that just about everyone will have a brain fart sometime in their shooting history. I have never been DQ'ed. Are there times I should have been? Possibly...I have heard the words muzzle and finger shouted at me before...but my defining moment for firearm safety was at my home, and it scared the bejeezus outta me. Fitting a scope to a 270 Savage, I changed the configuration and was seeing if a live round would eject without hitting the scope. Dropped a round in, finger no where near the trigger, closed the bolt, and blew a hole through my dining room window. There was a piece of metal stuck in the firing pin chamber, and the firing pin was stuck out. When the bolt closed and the lugs locked, it fired. I knew it was loaded, knew what it could do, paid attention to where my fingers were...and still...Not saying that a DQ is all a persons fault, but an equipment malfunction can cause a DQ when the shooter has done nothing wrong.

Gary, I agree...it's just that just about everyone will have a brain fart sometime in their shooting history. I have never been DQ'ed. Are there times I should have been? Possibly...I have heard the words muzzle and finger shouted at me before...but my defining moment for firearm safety was at my home, and it scared the bejeezus outta me. Fitting a scope to a 270 Savage, I changed the configuration and was seeing if a live round would eject without hitting the scope. Dropped a round in, finger no where near the trigger, closed the bolt, and blew a hole through my dining room window. There was a piece of metal stuck in the firing pin chamber, and the firing pin was stuck out. When the bolt closed and the lugs locked, it fired. I knew it was loaded, knew what it could do, paid attention to where my fingers were...and still...Not saying that a DQ is all a persons fault, but an equipment malfunction can cause a DQ when the shooter has done nothing wrong.

Understood. It is the "it will happen to everyone" idea that I have a problem with.

Crap will happen, no doubt. However, not everyone who has tested a live round in a rifle, or other gun, has had a discharge. Might happen to me next time I do it, but it won't happen to everyone.

See ya at the Battle of the Bluegrass. Say Hi if you can.

Edited by Gary Stevens

Upon thought, yer right Gary. It's not inevitable. I tend to believe in the law of averages though

Good point.

Consider this though. I've noticed that year after year about 2-4 percent of a match will have a DQ.

I am sure someone can find a match that had higher than that, but I am speaking in general terms.

So, generally speaking, 96-98 percent of those shooters did not have a DQ.

I had to DQ a shooter at a match for the same reason as the OP. Very experienced, senior shooter, too. It was literally the last shot of the match for our squad. He was tired and not paying attention when he ULSC. He pulled the 1911 slide back, round came out, I looked and saw the mag still in the gun. I yelled STOP, but then he dropped the slide. So I yelled STOP again, but he was on autopilot by then and dropped the hammer. Bang. He almost dropped the gun it surprised him so bad.

It can happen to anyone. This is why we have the piled-on procedures and rules that we do. As I learned in aviation long ago, every accident is a chain of faulty events. Break the chain anywhere along its length, and the accident is prevented.

Exactly. If the 2% don't repeat the DQ, then another 2% does. If you look at it that way it is actually a mathematic probability that a shooter will DQ. Cut it in half. 1% of shooters will DQ. At every match shot....again law of averages.