Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chrome?

trp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Metaloy does a great job with fast turn around times, they have been in the game almost from the beginning as far as hard chrome and firearms. If you need both hard chrome and blueing for a two tone Fords does excellent work but as of june 2012 the wait time was close to a full year. I have used them for most of my customers guns that needed two tone or other finishes but not any longer with that long of a wait.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checkmate did really nice work and for a very reasonable price. Wish they were still around. Same goes for Tripp. He always did a nice job on my guns and price was very fair. Seems like most of the market has gone to the spray and bake coatings.

Anyone tried Robar before?

Ray's Caspian open gun was NP3'd by Robar

Thanks Jon. I'll check out his gun next match day. I'm thinking of re-finishing my open gun, probably after the states.

Bryant

The np3ed gun is retired for now

I had the gun plated in 1994, and it has held up amazingly well, especially since I treat it like a tool, just shoot it and put it away, never wiped it down, and never rusted, flaked, or peeled.

The comp I had on the gun was replaced long ago was also mp3ed, I took it off by hitting it with a propane torch until it glowed a dull red. Once it cooled, cleaned it with a little flitz, and the finish looked brand new, it's been sitting in my parts bin for 10+ years and it never rusted flaked or peeled.

The one down side of np3 is it's slippery, don't know if you noticed but I had skateboard tape every place I need a grip on it, including the sides of the rear of the slide just so I could rack it.

If you're using a racker, it's not a problem.

Alternately you can see if any local commercial finishing places do hard chrome. For example, I use a place in Denver for hard chrome and all they charge is tank time regardless of quantity in parts getting done. They charge $90 for the tank time and I get a couple other shooters to jump in on the tank time and it makes it super cheap per person.

You can spend a lot of money shipping stuff around, especially frames via FFL's, to get the same coatings that could be done locally. Do some searching for local metal finishing places. You might be surprised in what you find.

Thanks for the tip - most guns are tools, and I can't justify any refinishing prices based upon the initial cost of the pistol....

Alternately you can see if any local commercial finishing places do hard chrome. For example, I use a place in Denver for hard chrome and all they charge is tank time regardless of quantity in parts getting done. They charge $90 for the tank time and I get a couple other shooters to jump in on the tank time and it makes it super cheap per person.

You can spend a lot of money shipping stuff around, especially frames via FFL's, to get the same coatings that could be done locally. Do some searching for local metal finishing places. You might be surprised in what you find.

• 1 month later...

Just my 2 cents...Sent my old Edge 9mm out to robar for an NP3 finish. Fast turnaround and nice finish, but the gun came back very loose (yes, rattling). Nothing was tightened down. I tightened things down, then 50 rounds later my extractor broke. Nothing unusual with loads, same pf as always. Sent it back and they tuned things up, checked the finish and replaced the broken extractor (still not sure why it broke). Overall, GREAT finish, great turnaround, and very nice people to deal with.

+1 to Robar

Does anyone know the tolerances of Metaloy's hardchroming? Thickness-wise?

Just spoke with Chris at Metaloy. Wow, he's a really nice guy! Took the time to answer all my questions too. Their hardchrome thickness is .0002" on the surface.

Is that the place in Arizona?