Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

I've only shot it at two matches and a couple practice sessions and the build up isn't bad. You will have to clean it more often of course, but the BBI takes less powder to make major than a JHP.

How did it shoot? Dot movement?

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only shot it at two matches and a couple practice sessions and the build up isn't bad. You will have to clean it more often of course, but the BBI takes less powder to make major than a JHP.

How did it shoot? Dot movement?

The gun is pretty flat. The slide mounted optic isn't a problem except for one time when I lost it in a strange position.

I ran factory ammo for 6 months out of mine while I was getting set up to reload. It will be flippy, but when you get it tuned right, it'll run and run. It's no comparison to a proper major load, though. My open minor load is much flatter than a factory load as well.

I was recently told at a match that running factory ammo through a compensator can cause fouling? I would assume any round would cause fouling? The guy said that jacketed ammo and comps don't play well together because the jacket "vaporizes" and fouls the comp. Is this true? If so, can you just clean your weapon really well like you should anyway and not worry about it?

If you're running factory CMJ'S or JHP'S then that won't come into play. Factory loads run at about a 145-160 PF depending on the brand. Not enough FPS for anything to come apart unless you bought a bad batch if ammo. All in all, my answer would be a resounding no. I also say that not knowing the circumstances behind why that guy told you that, and understand that I did exactly what youre talking about doing with zero issue. The only time anything fouled out was early on when I didn't realize that exposed base FMJ's left small amounts of lead deposits in my comp. I got a few picks and cleaned it all out.

Any factory load with exposed lead base (FMJ) will deposit lead in the comp. JHP's will not because base is covered with jacket material. You will get carbon fouling which is easier to remove.

Edited by sweetback

Ok, thanks for the answers guys! I'm really liking the idea of an Open Glock for Steel Challenge, and hopefully USPSA if I can work the loads. Its nice to know that I can run factory ammo through it though. I know it won't be as effective as a handload, but it will still go bang.

Question for Open Glock shooters; I have a Carver comp on my open glock, it has 10 openings, 4 on top and 3 on each side. I shoot in USPSA matches claiming minor power factor @ 148 P/F. I have tried major power factor, but my accuracy falls away along with the group size. Since I am shooting a non-major load, I do not feel that this comp is being as effective as it could be. I have watched other open glock shooters

using SJC comps that do not have all the side ports and I was thinking that this configuration would be

more effective because it keeps the gas in the chambers longer engaging the walls of the chambers.

What are your opinions concerning one brand of compensator over another. I am thinking about changing my compensator, I want to minimize muzzle flip as much as possible.

Another important factor I should mention is that I am running a 10 pound spring, I haven't seen an 8

pound spring anywhere, I am scared to go any lighter due to it might invite failure to feed issues.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

What is your load that your using. 10 pound is as light as they come for a glock. Any lighter and you run a good chance of the gun coming out of battery as the striker spring and recoil spring work against each other.

Edited by EkuJustice

The load I am using now, and it is almost gone, is 5.5 grains of AutoComp.

I am in the process of testing VV N340. I have shot 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 of the VV N340.

Since I do not feel that the comp is giving me what I want, I am trying to lower the power factor to something like 128 P/F to minimize the recoil. To be honest, the difference between 5.0 and 6.0 was barely noticeable, the 6.0 was obviously more loud with a little more slap to the hand..

I have also tried a faster burning powder, HP38 @ 5.0 grns. Actually it was a pretty good load, not too

snappy and accurate too, but I keep hearing that you have to have all that gas to make the comp work, so a slower powder is recommended.

What kind of bullets are you using, what grain? Out of what barrel?

I didn't start getting good results with Autocomp until I got to the 172-174 PF mark. If I remember right, I was running 7.8 to get there.

I got better results with VV 3N37 @8.1gr with a 115 JHP 1.155 OAL.

Edited by Noximus03

I am using Berry's double struck 124 grn complete metal jacket. My Open Glock 17 has a Lone Wolf barrel

with the Carver comp.

Like I said earlier, I shot some major loads, 6.8 grn AutoComp with the same bullet was the last load I

tried and the groups came apart. I backed the load down and the tight groups returned.

I wasn't going to try to make Major P/F with the VV N340 since the accuracy at major P/F wasn't

acceptable.

The 5.5 of AutoComp chrono'd 148 P/F at a Section match back in June. While watching the videos of my

shooting there, I still see a noticeable muzzle flip.

I might be hunting for something that doesn't exist, a flat shooting Open Glock.

The group opened up to around 6-8" at 20 yrds. The groups were fired from sandbags, so I can't blame

myself too much for pulling the shots.

I have some Montana Gold H/P's that I am going to try. Now I just need to find a recipe for VV N340.

Honestly, I haven't had any issues to date, granted I didn't fire many rounds at major P/F. I do have

some Montana Gold H/P's to try for Major P/F.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range to try my 115's at high velocity, probably won't be for

another week till I get to the range.

I've heard that plated bullets are a no-no for Open Glocks. They start shedding the plating at certain velocities according to Berry's reloading expert.

NOT TRUE!!!! All I use is plated bullets as I am sponsored by Rainier Ballistics and I DO NOT have ANY PROBLEMS at all and I shoot Open with my Glock. You can ask Noximus03 about my bullets, he has seen me shoot PLENTY of times and my bullets are very accurate. If you have ANY questions about plated bullets you can always ask me. I am very happy to help anyone out.

I was recently told at a match that running factory ammo through a compensator can cause fouling? I would assume any round would cause fouling? The guy said that jacketed ammo and comps don't play well together because the jacket "vaporizes" and fouls the comp. Is this true? If so, can you just clean your weapon really well like you should anyway and not worry about it?

Come see me at the next match. I've got to know which of our brain surgeons told you that the jacket vaporizes.

Flat shooting open glocks are possible. Just look at KC's gun. Of course, he had to hang an 11 oz brick of a sight on top of it to get it flat, but it is flat now!

The group opened up to around 6-8" at 20 yrds. The groups were fired from sandbags, so I can't blame

myself too much for pulling the shots.

I have some Montana Gold H/P's that I am going to try. Now I just need to find a recipe for VV N340.

Be VERY CAREFUL with the amount of crimp you use on the taper crimp die station with plated bullets. I had the crimp set too tight on some Berry's 180 gr heads and it would strip the plating off the rear of the bullet as the bullet exited the brass. This caused my groups to do the same as you describe above as well as keyhole. I pulled some heads and could see a distinct groove/mark/indentation from the mouth of the case from too much crimp. I pulled those heads, backed off on the crimp, and reloaded the pulled heads. Accuracy went right back to normal.

Pull some heads and see if you have too much crimp....?

Z-

I use a 124 MG JHPS with 6.8 grains of auto comp. OAL is 1.150.

My 10 port SJC comp works great on my KKM barrel.. Flat, accurate, and easy to keep clean. Power factor around 173.....