OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In action

and a still photo

I went with the 17 and it has a faster cyclic rate than the 34. I was originally going to build it on a 22 put then decided against it due to mag capacity

post-34420-0-86806300-1334750032_thumb.j

Edited by Pizzim

shovel_doctor, why did you go with the G35 and not a 9mm?

thats what i had. i bought it with no intent of building an open gun. i like it and it shoots good but if i had to do it all over i might of went with a g17. i know a lot of people do not like the 40 for open, its not ideal but i don't have any real big complaints. i started shooting uspsa about a year ago so for a starter gun it works just fine for me. runs like a top.

thats what i had. i bought it with no intent of building an open gun. i like it and it shoots good but if i had to do it all over i might of went with a g17. i know a lot of people do not like the 40 for open, its not ideal but i don't have any real big complaints. i started shooting uspsa about a year ago so for a starter gun it works just fine for me. runs like a top.

Shovel,

Do you reload for your gun? If so, how flat does it shoot?

OK COOL

Shovel,

yes i reload for my gun. i shoots pretty flat. not as good as a custom 2011 but also not as expensive. i have been using 155gr bullets with 7.5gr longshot.

Shovel,

yes i reload for my gun. i shoots pretty flat. not as good as a custom 2011 but also not as expensive. i have been using 155gr bullets with 7.5gr longshot.

Have you tried any other powders besides Longshot? I heard HS6 and VV3n38 were great powders...

I used a pound of winchester auto comp. I liked it. HS6 and 3N38 are both a little faster burning powders than longshot. I want to try some 135gr bullets. From what i have been told and read on here a lighter bullet and a slower powder for a comped gun.

I used a pound of winchester auto comp. I liked it. HS6 and 3N38 are both a little faster burning powders than longshot. I want to try some 135gr bullets. From what i have been told and read on here a lighter bullet and a slower powder for a comped gun.

I guess I'll give that a try as well. Just waiting on my barrel and comp to get here.

post-25458-0-47373900-1334806280_thumb.j My 17 upper on a 22 frame

post-25458-0-42452000-1334806863_thumb.j The original G22 .40 cal upper

post-25458-0-90631300-1334806904_thumb.j Both uppers

post-25458-0-22549000-1334806941_thumb.j G17

post-25458-0-76518400-1334806966_thumb.j The rig she rides in.

The particulars-

(G17) Lone Wolf G17 slide with cutouts by Bobby Carver, Lone Wolf SS solid Guide rod, Lone Wolf 10-11-13# springs, KKM match fit barrel, Jager skeletonized extended striker, Glockworx comp spring kit, Carver comp.

(G22) Stock slide, Jager skeletonized extended striker, KKM Barrel, Lone Wolf solid SS guide rod, ISMI flat springs in 11-13-15#'s, Carver comp, Glockworx comp srping kit.

Frame- G22 stock frame, Carver trigger, trigger undercut/grip reduction/stipling done by Carver, Glockworks extended ejector, Carver slide racker, SJC mount/magwell/mag release, C-more slide ride sight.

The rig- CR Speed inner, DAA outer, Guga Ribas mag holsters, Manny Bragg/USA race holster, stock mags with Taylor Freelance +8 extensions.

Edited by Noximus03

Noximus03, That is a really nice set-up. Is the reason why you have a 17 slide on a 22 frame is because of the 22 can take more of a beating as far as power from the loads or is it because you just want to switch between 9 and 40?

How do they both shoot? Any real difference between them?

I see that you live in Middleburg, I use to live in Orange Park in Fleming Island when I was stationed down there at NAS JAX.

Noximus03, That is a really nice set-up. Is the reason why you have a 17 slide on a 22 frame is because of the 22 can take more of a beating as far as power from the loads or is it because you just want to switch between 9 and 40?

How do they both shoot? Any real difference between them?

I see that you live in Middleburg, I use to live in Orange Park in Fleming Island when I was stationed down there at NAS JAX.

Originally, I bought the "Impala" (he's naming his custom builds after classic American muscle) and had it done in .40 on a G22 based stock gun. I also wanted the lower done with SJC parts so I could run with a wider variety of holster that fit me better (me and the CR Speed's dont click). The reasoning for the 17 and 22 uppers is that I wanted the flexibility of shooting whatever I wanted for various types of matches like IPSC, Steel, etc. I got the .40 so I would never have to worry about making major, and the 9 for speed/steel/its cheaper to train with.

About a month after I had the 22 upper, I asked him to build me a 9mm upper that would fit on my 22 lower, and voila...its in the pics. I dont reload my rounds, and it actually runs really good on factory rounds. Both uppers do get flippy on me when my grip isnt right, but I have no complaints. Obviously, I get a little more recoil out of the .40, but not enough to make me notice to be honest. I do know that I could have a much flatter shooting gun regardless of upper if I just reload, but I dont have the time for the right now. Its on the list of things to do, though.

I was stationed here on the JFK, and never got smart enough to leave, lol.

Noximus03, That is a really nice set-up. Is the reason why you have a 17 slide on a 22 frame is because of the 22 can take more of a beating as far as power from the loads or is it because you just want to switch between 9 and 40?How do they both shoot? Any real difference between them? I see that you live in Middleburg, I use to live in Orange Park in Fleming Island when I was stationed down there at NAS JAX.
Originally, I bought the "Impala" (he's naming his custom builds after classic American muscle) and had it done in .40 on a G22 based stock gun. I also wanted the lower done with SJC parts so I could run with a wider variety of holster that fit me better (me and the CR Speed's dont click). The reasoning for the 17 and 22 uppers is that I wanted the flexibility of shooting whatever I wanted for various types of matches like IPSC, Steel, etc. I got the .40 so I would never have to worry about making major, and the 9 for speed/steel/its cheaper to train with. About a month after I had the 22 upper, I asked him to build me a 9mm upper that would fit on my 22 lower, and voila...its in the pics. I dont reload my rounds, and it actually runs really good on factory rounds. Both uppers do get flippy on me when my grip isnt right, but I have no complaints. Obviously, I get a little more recoil out of the .40, but not enough to make me notice to be honest. I do know that I could have a much flatter shooting gun regardless of upper if I just reload, but I dont have the time for the right now. Its on the list of things to do, though. I was stationed here on the JFK, and never got smart enough to leave, lol.

So using factory 40 ammo you still make major? I would like to build an Open Glock one day but have heard so many stories about malfunctions and problems. I love shooting the Glock pistols. I would really like to shoot a couple open Glocks so I know how they will feel and I would know if I like it or not. Are you shooting Area 6?

What was your rate?

So using factory 40 ammo you still make major? I would like to build an Open Glock one day but have heard so many stories about malfunctions and problems. I love shooting the Glock pistols. I would really like to shoot a couple open Glocks so I know how they will feel and I would know if I like it or not. Are you shooting Area 6?

What was your rate?

Yeah, shooting 165gr I was making major with no problem. I did have a ton of issues with the gun not fully extracting the spent shell and said shell getting cought in between the ejection port and the SJC mount. I took this to Bobby Carver and he tuned the .40 extractor and gave me an extended ejector for the .40 upper and I havent had any issues since. The only issues I've had with the 9mm are self caused. I way overloaded my starting mag and the added pressure caused the gun to jam up on me. Other than that, when I loaded the mag properly, I havent had one FTE. I want to shoot Area 6, and would love to shoot in the Sunshine State games, but I will be leaving for work for 5 weeks this sunday. I'll be shooting my local steel match, then its time to rest the gun. When I get back, if you want to meet up and shoot it for your trial, let me know. I have no problems helping out at all. Maybe I'll talk Bobby Carver into joining us with some of his custom builds for you to try out.

ABE2 (AW/SW/SWCC)

OK, so it seems like that same issue everyone has had and the same simple fix. Sorry you won't be able to make it to Area 6. I will be headed down that way Friday morning. What local matches do you shoot at? I drive down with some buddies from up here to go to SEPSA. I would love to try them out to see if I like them . I take it that Bobby Carver lives in the JAX area? SWCC huh? I was a boat guy myself :D

the next time im home, ill be heading for SEPSA. the have SEPSA, IPSC/Steel Challenge, and USPSA all back to back down here.

Bobby lives here in Jax, and does all of his business from here and Gateway. Good guy, definetly look him up if you decide to go this route.

Edited by Noximus03

I love the dark grey finish on the carver guns.Bobby is building 3 new guns for my self a full open and a steel gun both in 9mm.Hoping to have at least one by mid may.will post some pics.He will then start the build on my 24 limited gun.Cant wait

love shooting some plastic.I would love to try a 40 open. That would be a good idea for my next project.

In action

and a still photo

I went with the 17 and it has a faster cyclic rate than the 34. I was originally going to build it on a 22 put then decided against it due to mag capacity

Guns looks like it shoots well.did you build it or did you have it built,if so who built it.

looks good as well

I've been campaigning my G22 open gun for 2 years. No issues at all. Runs just like a stock Glock. Never FTE, FTF ever! It's a tank. Shorter slide cycles faster.

Jager comp, Lone Wolf Dist barrel, Lone Wolf connector & trigger stop, C-More STS sight, Mag well, Taylor base.

securedownload-1.jpg

Edited by 72stick