Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

I'm contemplating the purchase of SJC "Open" 9mm Glock pistol. This pistol would be used exclusively for use in steel matches, so power factor isn't an issue.

While I have reloaded ammunition for 40 years and much of that experience has been for auto pistols in 45 ACP and 9mm, I have never loaded for a pistol with a comp.

Despite the current bullet shortage, I am fortunate to have a significantly large inventory of Montana Gold 124 CMJ and 124 JHP bullets on hand, so those bullets will be used (at least initially and until bullet supplies return to "normal").

Can anyone provide me with advice regarding preferred powders for use in a 9mm comp'ed pistol with a 124 gr. bullet? Recommended charge weights would also be appreciated.

Currently I use 4.2 grains of TiteGroup under the aforementioned bullets and shoot them in Glock, STI, and Springfield 1911 and XDm pistols.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm contemplating the purchase of SJC "Open" 9mm Glock pistol. This pistol would be used exclusively for use in steel matches, so power factor isn't an issue.

While I have reloaded ammunition for 40 years and much of that experience has been for auto pistols in 45 ACP and 9mm, I have never loaded for a pistol with a comp.

Despite the current bullet shortage, I am fortunate to have a significantly large inventory of Montana Gold 124 CMJ and 124 JHP bullets on hand, so those bullets will be used (at least initially and until bullet supplies return to "normal").

Can anyone provide me with advice regarding preferred powders for use in a 9mm comp'ed pistol with a 124 gr. bullet? Recommended charge weights would also be appreciated.

Currently I use 4.2 grains of TiteGroup under the aforementioned bullets and shoot them in Glock, STI, and Springfield 1911 and XDm pistols.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't specifically speak for minor PF ammo since all I load is major PF ammo for USPSA. I'm sure some other guys might have some specific loads they can share with you for minor PF. I can say that slower powders are better for major and vice-versa for faster burning powders. If I had to say one powder to try, see what Winchester WSF or VV N320 will do for you. I think they should both work great for your needs.

Here's a link to the VitaVuori online reloading manual: http://www.eabco.com/VihtaVuori01.pdf

Edited by Blcksmk

I use 6.8 grains of auto comp for my major loads. MG 124 JHP , OAL 1.150, federal match small pistol primers.

G17 open with a KKM barrel. 1365-1370fps. Shoots flat with my 10 port sjc comp.

13 pound spring.

Minor loads 5.2 grains auto comp, same components, 10 pound spring.

Edited by Mac38

What would you guys recommend for .40 minor loads?

Also, I was able to go out and shoot my loads for my open Glock this weekend and found some decent loads. Tried HS6 with 155GR and 180GR bullets. Also tried VV3N38 with 165GR bullets.

The 180GRS with 6.7GRS of HS6 shot great. I don't own a chrono but I will soon. Overall the dot movement was little but still moved up toward the top of the glass and back down with a little bounce. I could deal with this.

The 155GR with 8.5GRS of HS6 had a lot more movement. This is the max recommended load for the 155GR Bullets and it rough and not very flat. I would rather stick to 180's when using HS6 personally.

The 165GR with 9.6GRS of VV3N38 was very snappy and quick. Dot went completely out of the glass and I was unable to track it. I feel that if I could load the bullets longer for more powder then it would be a great powder to use. However, Glock mags don't like long OAL's.

I am looking into trying Winchester AutoComp with a 155GR bullet next week when I can get the powder. I keep seeing 6.7 GRS of AutoComp works very well with .40 Open Glocks.

I'll let you know what his experience was like after Pro-Am, lol.

LOL I bet you will. LOL :)

Joe I may shoot my 17 there. I think it's better suited to the fast transitions. That 34 is fast but I'm starting to think the 17 is just a little bit faster.

I kinda am in between on the 34/35 17/22 slide thing

If you can have only one? Get a 17. The 34 shoots flatter but if your transitioning from target to target with alot of movement you're gonna want that lighter shorter 17. For GSSF I think an open 34 is best. There's not alot of movement and the gun runs flatter so taking plate racks down (minimal movement) is gonna be a cinch. However if you're gonna shoot Steel Challenge, USPSA, etc. I would definitely go with a 17.

Ok that makes sense. My biggest reason for wanting the open gun is the proam (even though I'm missing this years :-/)

I hear ya. I own and have owned open Glocks built on 17s, 34s, 35s, and 22's. I keep coming back to the good old 17.

Both have pro/con aspects to them. It's slightly easier to make major with a 34 because of the longer barrel...but only slightly. Plus, it's a tad bit heavier. The 17 it's a nice shorty, and once you get it tuned up the way you like it, and your load tailored right, it'll run like a Singer.

Since we are talking about G34's, my question is; has anyone had any experience with using a ported

barrel in a G34?

Since it has the cut out in the slide, I was wondering if it would work as good as a compensator?

A 6 port, ported barrel, slide ride dot, competition trigger sounds like a sweet package....