Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

You'd have much better results with 3n37. 3n38 works a lot better with .38 SC guns, and 37 has more has volume. You'll need it to make major out of a shorty. Autocomp is a great choice.....but it's on unicorn status. I started with 124gr, but my gun settled out big time when I tried some 115's. Had to push 172 PF to get it to flatten out. Anything before that was accurate, but flippy.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. I am on the email lists for about a million different places if they ever get any powder in stock, but hopefully some shows up locally before that. I ideally would like to get a powder that works for both 40 and 9 major, so the 3n37 would be good in that regard (from what I have heard, I don't have any direct experience with it though).

Thanks for all the help so far, once the funds are in place then I will have a lot more questions you can be sure of that!

I tried the 37 for .40 Lim and didn't like it whatsoever. If you're wanting a powder that will handle both, I've heard good things for that purpose about AutoComp. Check the reloading threads, there's tons of subjects about it there. Also, get with the OP (FuentesD99) about Autocomp and open/lim major. He's got tons of info on this powder through Glocks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Need some help with my load:

Firearm: SJC Glock in .40 (built from G22)

Powder: N350/6.5gn

Xtreme 165 RHFP – OAL 1.135

Xtreme 180 HP – OAL 1.138

I tested and started with 4.0gn and she did not even cycle the slide – keep testing/moving up to 6.5gn and now it will recycle 90% (I think I may have to go to 7.0gn). I have not even started any chrono yet (just want the damn thing to recycle first! LOL). :goof:

So I tested today with my 6.5 gn load and found that the recoil with the 180g was much higher/harder than my 165g bullet (similar OAL/same amount of powder).

What is the reason for that? I thought heavier bullet will give smaller flip?

Is there a problem with:

Powder too old (manufacture date 1999) – sorry, I can’t find any HS6 or Autocomp – need to use whatever I have now

Do I need more powder to get more gas (for the comp)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for everyone’s help in advance.

_DSC3586_zps1d974bc4.jpg

Edited by hkfooey

use the crono.

for open you want to use the lighest bullets you can with the most powder (to work the comp) until they go fast enough to make power factor. Open in the one division where it is normal to go over the power facter (I load 9mm to 175ish pf). You are more looking for the dot to stay in the glass and track correctly than what feels soft. My gun is really load but I dont even notice the recoil because it is more straight back into you hand and not as "flippy" like non comped guns. If your new to open (I am) I would find a load that works well, makes pf., and works the comp and then not worry about the load for awhile. There is so much to work on before the load is holding you back.

Im not familiar with your powder where did you get the load data from?

I tested and started with 4.0gn and she did not even cycle the slide – keep testing/moving up to 6.5gn and now it will recycle 90% (I think I may have to go to 7.0gn). I have not even started any chrono yet (just want the damn thing to recycle first! LOL). :goof:

So I tested today with my 6.5 gn load and found that the recoil with the 180g was much higher/harder than my 165g bullet (similar OAL/same amount of powder).

Is there a problem with:

• Powder too old (manufacture date 1999) – sorry, I can’t find any HS6 or Autocomp – need to use whatever I have now

• Do I need more powder to get more gas (for the comp)?

• Any other suggestions?

Is this a joke? If not, you need to read the part of your load manual before the recipes before you blow a gun up.

It's reloading 101 that a given powder charge under a heavier bullet or with a shorter OAL will result in higher pressures and higher momentum (aka recoil).

Normally one REDUCES the powder charge as try increase the weight or reduced the OAL for a given bullet (which you've effectively done by loading a longer bullet to the same length as a shorter one).

The problem is not with your powder or your equipment, but rather your woefully inadequate knowledge base.

The powder is Vihtavuori N350 - too bad, got to use whatever I got. I read in here (and Glock forum) that N350 can use as Open powder (of course, not as good a HS6 or Autocomp) - so I figure I start small (4.0gn) and go up the powder load.

Hopefully I won't blow up my gun (at least not yet) since right now my gun is not 100% recycle after each round.

One question that I asked was the shelf life of the powder - is 1999 too old? when does the powder goes bad (or lose its power)? I don't have much experience with Open powder, most of my Tigtgroup or WST or VVN320 are used up within 6 months after opened used for my Limited gun load.

I guess I need to read more before some other people call out for my stupidity again. LOL.

Did you try starting with a manual??? VV publishes their data online for free.

1999 is not too old if it has been stored appropriately. There is no such thing as "open powder" - N350 just has a slower burn rate than, say, N320.

Yes you need to read more. Reloading can be safe. Developing loads the way you have described is not.

Is there a problem with:

• Powder too old (manufacture date 1999) – sorry, I can’t find any HS6 or Autocomp – need to use whatever I have now

• Do I need more powder to get more gas (for the comp)?

• Any other suggestions?

Is this a joke? If not, you need to read the part of your load manual before the recipes before you blow a gun up.

It's reloading 101 that a given powder charge under a heavier bullet or with a shorter OAL will result in higher pressures and higher momentum (aka recoil).

Normally one REDUCES the powder charge as try increase the weight or reduced the OAL for a given bullet (which you've effectively done by loading a longer bullet to the same length as a shorter one).

The problem is not with your powder or your equipment, but rather your woefully inadequate knowledge base.

++++1!!! You're asking for trouble/injury by trying to make major with a heavy bullet!!! If you can get your hands on them, go with a 135gr bullet and do a swan dive into a reloading manual.

These responses may seem harsh, but believe me when I say that none of us want to contribute to injury, and that we do have your safety in mind. It's imperative that you get into a manual and get a chrono before moving forward.

All right, I'll be #3 to echo the prior comments on safety and using a manual and chrono before doing anything more. Also agree with using a lighter bullet in Open; a heavier bullet does better in Limited. The general object in Open is to generate as much gas volume as possible for the comp/ports, which means a lighter bullet that requires more powder than a heavier bullet with less powder. Your N-350 is fine to use for Open. Of the three (N-350, HS-6 Autocomp), it is the most expensive; however, it is the most stable in changing environments - not a big deal unless you are at a major match with a chrono stage. Stay safe and you will enjoy Open.

To hkfooey. The heavier bullet will usually give less felt recoil at the same Power Factor. With the same powder charge, heavier bullets will give more recoil.

You need to consult the loading manual, as others have said above. I have experience with .40 Open in an STI, and have been looking into doing it again on the Glock 22 platform. I would start with a 135 grain bullet and look at Alliant Power Pistol or Hodgdon CFE Pistol. Based on Vihtavuori's load data, you cannot make major with N350 and a 135 grain bullet, but you can with the 155 grain Rainier bullet. You might not like the way it feels or how the dot tracks. This is personal preference, but I have tried all bullet weights in a .40 open gun. 135 is what I liked best, and that is the general consensus as well.

Be smart. It would be a shame to hurt yourself or the gun that you have invested so much money in.

Read this again and this line stuck out. If the gun is not cycling, I bet the recoil spring is too heavy. I don't know what open Glock guys are running for springs, but my STI needed a 9 lb spring to run right. Do a search for "40 Open" here on the Open sub-forum. We have a nice little thread going where you can get all kinds of advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a Glock 22 built for me for USPSA Open. It has an SJC mount, SJC COmpensatorand a KKM Match barrel. Currently using a 14 pound spring. I have been trying 165 and have been having trouble with cycling gun and stove pipes. Any suggestions for loads that might run better?

Use a lighter spring would be the first thing I'd try. 13/12# should do it, but it'll change your velocity a little. You can also smooth out the underside of your mount. I've got a vid with the mods I made to my SJC mount if you need reference. If you haven't done so already, also look into having the ejection port lowered if it hasn't been already. Good luck.

I almost believed there was no one in this forum in jacksonville fl.

Glad to see i was wrong.

Theres quite a few on here. Most of us are always at the locals. Even the original poster of this thread shows up at SEPSA. Hope to see you around.

I've been campaigning my G22 open gun for 2 years. No issues at all. Runs just like a stock Glock. Never FTE, FTF ever! It's a tank. Shorter slide cycles faster.

Jager comp, Lone Wolf Dist barrel, Lone Wolf connector & trigger stop, C-More STS sight, Mag well, Taylor base.

securedownload-1.jpg

Load Data Please..