Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN GLOCKS

fuentesd99

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to cut into a G17 I had, but seldom shoot. I melted the Burris about as low as I could and cut some slots in the front. I still need to make a slide racker for the sight dovetail. I'll play with it as is for now with minor loads, but if I start loading major again will add a barrel and comp.

snakeandG17006_zpsccb4a3cc.jpg

snakeandG17007_zpsffaa5f24.jpg

post-48029-0-52192600-1369340177_thumb.j

Here is my G17 Open gun.

I had Bobby Carver build the slide for me.

10 port SJC comp, KKM barrell, and the usual striker and spring changes. I love the SJC big stick magazines. I use Dawson extensions on my other ones.

I installed the SJC mount, trigger, and other parts in my lower.

I love the edge trigger from glocktrigger.

I have 2 of them. One in my G17 Open, the other in my G17L Open built to shoot minor power factor in 3 gun and steel challenge.

post-48029-0-52192600-1369340177_thumb.j

Update:

Went and shot some loads out of my open gun today. The load I tried was: 155GR Montana Gold Hollow Point loaded with 8.0GRS of HS6. Dot moved up out of the aperture but returned quickly. I feel that maybe a little more powder might help.

I do have some VV3N38 that I would like to load up with those 155GR Bullets. As for as data I can't seem to find any. Any suggestions on where to start?

Dan, I toyed with that idea once, then realized I'd give up mag capacity, and stuck with 9. As far as tips, set it up the same way you would any .40/G35 open polymer gun. Don't see that there would be much difference other than caliber. You'd never have to worry about someone else snagging your brass, though, lol.

If the capacity thing is a non-issue, then go for it. KKM does make a threaded barrel for the G31, and I'm sure it's likely to be in stock. Other than that, I think everything would be the same thing parts wise as a G25/22 rig.

I'm thinking 357 sig for my open build

Anyone have tips?

I ran one for a while and it worked quite well. I made all my brass from .40 by necking them down. I know theoretically you can't do that, but if you adjust the sig die slowly and make the cases headspace on the shoulder all is good. I never had an issue doing it that way. I was using Longshot powder, but there is a good variety of others that will work.

About two issues ago in Front Sight, they had an article on Limited and Open Nationals where they showed the top three guns used in Limited and Open...pictured for KC Eusebio was a Glock 34 - the narrative said it was a Glock 17, but it clearly is marked 34 on the slide and it was a 34. I don't know why I felt like posting this - seems like everytime Open Glock is brought up it is assumed the 17 is the best choice...still might be. Always seemed to me like the 5"+ barrel would be very similar to the barrels used by the 2011 shooters.

Frame mounted obviously keeps the optic from moving unlike a slide mounted optic. Personally, I would much rather a frame mounted optic because the dot has less movement now. You still will have a bit of movement but not much if your load is done right. Slide mounted you still have the little dot wiggle with your load but now it's moving front to back and I feel it would be harder to acquire now. On the other hand, slide mount optics allow for more of a natural point and shoot as where you will have to adjust how you hold the gun and its re-learning it all over it again.

Side Note: The 90 Degree mount from SJC really fixes this problem and is still frame mounted.

Messed around a little with the gun today. Noticed that when I insert the magazine the trigger feels like it's making contact and rubbing something. Sure enough I found that the trigger bar is rubbing the corner of the magazine and giving is a dragging feeling as you pull the trigger and resets. I'm going to try and find some cheaper magazines and tune them so I don't mess up my 22 round Glock mags for right now until I'm comfortable filing on them.

Yeah they are the factory .40 cal 22 round magazines they have recently come out with. I know that people use to sell Glock replacement tubes but I haven't been able to find any the last few days. I wouldn't mind building a few of my own magazines.

I'm thinking 357 sig for my open build

Anyone have tips?

That's what I did. I have a g22 that I set up with a LW 357sig barrel and a old stock Briley titanium comp. I run mostly resized 40 brass and the best part is you will most likely be the only sig shooter so people will give you your brass back. Also I like that I can make major with many easily available powders.

Right now I am running a Taylor freelance 170 extension and get 24 in that and a glock 22rd mag and can get 23 in that so I am giving up a few rounds to the 9mm croud but I like playing with a handicap it makes it more fun to beat people with "better" equipment.

Mike

Yes,

The mag is the SJC custom big stick. I dont like the look of the Taylor Freelance.

I have tried the slide mounted rear Red Dot mount and hated it. Switched to the SJC frame mounts on both of my open guns and love them.

As far as the 34 for an open gun I can't see why not. I have a 17L open gun and love the long barrell. Some people say the action on the 17 is faster hence using it over the 34.

I use my 17L for matches where they dont score major or minor. Its a small Thursday night match here in Houston.

I specifically built that gun for 3 gun open and steel challenge.

I dont feel its any slower or harder to swing on targets.

I see so many people with the slide mounted optic and maybe if open was to be a primary division would maybe think harder on the optic mount on the frame. But as far as slide moving back and forth that is nill in my consideration as the slide should be moving a lil quicker than the eye could keep up with for the most part

SO IF I DID GO WITH FRAME MOUNT?? whos would you use and why. Carver or SJC? The Cmore Slide ride or the Cmore RTS or STS? if you wanted to go with a gun that would do both major and minor whos comp? also i am in the boat of why not use the 5" barrel of the 34/35? the slides can cycle just as fast if lightened no?