Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting games "bone stock"..?

ck1

Switched back to Glocks again recently from tricked-out CZ's as I may transfer to a different division of my agency where I'll be commissioned and carrying full-time, and also partly because CZ doesn't offer a gun in a very carry friendly smaller/lighter package that can be set-up the same way (DA/SA & safety, non-decocker) with a similar trigger as my Shadows and Shadow-likes...

Thing is, in the past (with G17/19's) I've always ended up changing to a 3.5/4.5 connector, and optionally, sometimes a heavier trigger-spring and/or reduced power striker block safety spring... But with the one I've got now I find myself leaning towards the feel of the stock connector/springs after just a quickie 10 minute polish job. The trigger is so different from what I've become accustomed to with the CZ's, that for whatever reason the crispier (though heavier) trigger in stock form just seems to feel more "right" to me with the Glock now (vs. the lighter but more mushy 3.5/4.5 connector & aftermarket springs)...

Anyways, anyone running their Glocks pretty much "bone stock" (of course I changed the sights, IMO that's a must and doesn't really "count" vs. "stock"...) and actively shooting USPSA/IDPA with it in "stock" form..? Curious of what any guys have experienced vs. shooting one "modded"..? Or has anyone actually seen any gains..?

Guess I'll find out for myself, but I'd be curious to hear from those who've already gone this route..?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ck1

I bought an M&P pro 9mm from Phil Strader (USPSA president) that he had been shooting matches with. It was bone stock with grip tape. I shot it that way and later put Apex trigger parts in the M&P. I cant say that I shoot any better. Jerry Miculek shoots a revolver better than any one in the world and that is a long heavy trigger. It all comes down to trigger control. Short pre travel and short reset do equal faster splits, and if you are like me you get sloppy with the trigger and then having less trigger pull makes for less error.

I shoot an M&P 9Pro in Production that is 100%, absolutely bone-stock as delivered from S&W.

The guns I shoot in Limited and Single Stack, I've changed some things with them and I like tinkering, however, I've never seen the need to mess with the M&P, and I seriously doubt that there'd be any significant improvement from doing so.

A buddy of mine just bought a Gen 3 G17, and I have to say that I'm absolutely shocked (and jealous) of how great the trigger feels. I have an old Gen 2 that I've done all the polishing and spring weight changes to, and his makes mine look sick. If I had his gun, I'd change the sights (and maybe the recoil spring--have to shoot it with the proper ammo to determine that) but otherwise I'd leave it bone stock.

I used to shoot a bone stock G34 for production. That was until I discovered skateboard tape. :)

Ha, I've got an RTF2, so the skateboard tape is already built-in... :)

Good to see some replies, really think there's a lot of luck involved with what stamped parts end up in one's Glock, for whatever reason mine seems GTG as-is, it's on the heavy end of the scale for a game gun but the break is pretty nice, maybe I just haven't been as fortunate before...

i have a friend that shoots his G34 completely stock and kicks butt left and right north to south putting open shooters and limited shooters to shame , i tried his pistol once and once amazed at how heavy the trigger was i tought the gun was all tricked out but to my surprise was all stock not even the sights were changed , he told me once that all those changes will make you relay in what the gun needs to make you a better shooter instead of what you need to do to become a better shot , since then i've been a believer of the indian skills not the arrow type

I shot one of my best classifiers with a bone stock G19 after shooting a G35 for a couple of years. It's funny, but I like the heavier, crisper trigger of the G19 for carry and I now shoot a cz custom shadow for competition.

I run my Glocks (at most) with:

- 3.5 connector

- 25 cent trigger job (polish)

- replacement sights

- grip tape

Yeah, this is pretty much where I've ended up too.

I haven't had much time to shoot lately, but last time out ,when I was able to break away for a little while to get some practice in, I ran just a few boxes through the gun trying out a few different set-ups, letting the clock and targets tell me what was working best... (one of the great things about Glocks is how easy and quickly one can switch out connectors and springs)

Seems with the stock set-up I can do pretty well, maybe as well as any other set-up with some more practice and familiarity, that said, I did notice a few things: Aimed-pairs and "bill drills" with the heavier stock set-up resulted in groups opening up by a noticeable margin for me, and my follow-up shots printing kind of "wild" as compared to what I'm used to and what I got with the 3.5 connector installed. This might just be a training/practice issue, but good follow-up shots seemed to require a lot less effort and were easier to call with the lighter trigger set-ups. Also, I found that the "Glock-printing-left-thing" can afflict me with any/all of the trigger clockwork set-ups installed; I tend to pull first shots left with the heavier stock set-up, but the the extra "mush" one gets from the lighter set-ups proves to be just as evil, if not more so, if I don't watch it... The last thing I found was that while I think I tried all the various combos I could get out of the following: OEM 5.5 connector vs. 3.5 connector, reduced power firing pin safety spring vs. stock, and stock trigger-spring vs. 6lb spring... the only set-ups that I ended up liking where either all stock (5.5 connector) or just switching over to the the 3.5 connector. The aftermarket spring options all seemed to exhibit pros and cons when in the gun that didn't really work out while on the clock; they could knock a few ounces off the pull weight but at the cost of weakening the reset or making it feel as though the trigger-bar wasn't moving back hitch-free.

Anyways, thinking it's gonna be the stock set-up (5.5 connector) or the next-to-stock-set-up (3.5 connector) like comes in a G34, it's clear the Indian needs more attention than the Arrow...

Edited by ck1

I just picked up a Gen4 G31, and have the exact same impression coming from CZ Shadows as the OP.

Prior to my CZs, I had Glocks and almost always went with a 3.5 Ghost Rocket connector and the extra power trigger spring. But, after shooting the CZs for the last year or so, the bone stock Glock with a little simichrome fluff n' buff seems subjectively better than the lighter but mushier pulls I remember on the old Glocks.

Some new sights and I think I may be able to go run this just as well as my Shadows. :surprise:

I'm hoping to get it out in the next week or so and see if the timer agrees with me.

The answer is yes for both GSSF and USPSA.

Shoot both a G34 and G35 stock, except for sights. If you ever shoot GSSF, it needs to be stock except for a couple of categories.

Do they let you change the awful plastic sights at least?

My G17 has Glock steel sights, a Glock extended slide stop/release and a mountain bike innertube segment for the grip. The conector is the OEM standard one, and the triggerspring is the OEM battleship gray one.

My first G19 has OEM Trijicon sights, a #5 dot connector, a Glock gen 3.5 triggerbar, the OEM battleship gray triggerspring, and a Glock extended slide stop/release;

My second G19 has Glock steel sights, the Glock extended slide stop/release, a Glock gen 3 triggerbar, a Glock minus connector, and a NY1 spring.

My G34 has its OEM Glock minus connector, a NY1 spring, Warren Tactical sights, and a mountain bike innertube segment for the receiver grip.

My G21 has the upgraded (now standard since the 2006 timeframe) triggerbar, Glock steel sights, a Glock #5 dot connector, a Glock extended slide stop/release, the OEM battleship gray triggerspring, and a segment of a mountain bike innertune for grip enhancement.

All of my Glocks are used for carry, IDPA, GSSF and steel plate competition.

Best, Jon

I run my Glocks (at most) with:

- 3.5 connector

- 25 cent trigger job (polish)

- replacement sights

- grip tape

Can you tell me what it measures on a trigger scale? That is what I wanted to start with, but something is wrong with my gun.....I think.

I run my G34 in everything, and it is run bone stock.

Stock sights, stock 5.5lb trigger (I was told it is a Police model hence the stock trigger)

It mimics my carry gun (G17) pretty well, and I haven't felt that it is holding me back.

So I run it.

Shot a club IDPA match with it and think I'm fine with it just having changed out the sights (using the stock 5.5lb connector and all stock springs). Finished pretty well for the first time out after coming back to the Glock, just went a little too conservative speed-wise on the first couple stages until I got in the groove as usual (my bad habit, not the gun's fault).

I'm now pretty much convinced that the added mushiness and creep from the lighter connectors is worse for my shooting than the heavier (but far more crisp) trigger.

A friend has got a "dot" connector for me to try out which might land about perfect as it should be a hair lighter while just about as crisp, but I've come to the conclusion that it is what it is; pick one and practice...