Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting games "bone stock"..?

ck1

i have a friend that shoots his G34 completely stock and kicks butt left and right north to south putting open shooters and limited shooters to shame , i tried his pistol once and once amazed at how heavy the trigger was i tought the gun was all tricked out but to my surprise was all stock not even the sights were changed , he told me once that all those changes will make you relay in what the gun needs to make you a better shooter instead of what you need to do to become a better shot , since then i've been a believer of the indian skills not the arrow type

Hell yeah!

All I'm running on my G34 is Sevigny sights, steel guide rod and a grip plug. No plans to change anything else. I will always be of the mind that it's better to mold yourself to the gun rather than the other way around, whenever possible. It'll make you a stronger shooter in the end. This aftermarket trigger work nonsense is just snivel gear :)

YMMV however.

For me, as far as a Glock's trigger is concerned, guess I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that it's pretty much futile/pointless trying to eliminate/eradicate it's "Glock-ness" by noodling around with parts hoping/trying to make into what it will never be. I'm thinking it's better to just figure out what's working best as an individual shooter based on trying the simple and few available connector swaps and then deciding to live with it. Some guys may like the lighter pull of the 3.5/4.5 connectors without even noticing the added mush, while the heavier 5.0 ("dot" connector) or stock 5.5 connector might work for others. There's not a whole lot of choices, and maybe it's better that way.

Things I've noticed though are through the "magic-parts-chasing"(JMHO here):

(1) Reduced power striker-springs mean light-strikes unless one keeps a fairly fresh one installed and rolls their own with Federal Primers exclusively, and also resigns themselves to having their competition gun and carry/duty gun having vastly different triggers (IMHO carrying a Glock with reduced power striker-spring is pretty darn foolish; if it's iffy if it'll go "bang" every time, why the hell carry a Glock?).

(2) They may be a few ounces lighter feeling, but heavier "competition" aka 6lb trigger-springs make the triggers feel like they're outrunning one's finger at or near the break point; live with it or live without it.

(3) Reduced power firing pin block/plunger springs are hit or miss; they might take a bit of weight off the pull, and/or add hitches and snatches as the FPB lifter tab rolls into the hole created by the wimpy spring.

I'm thinking Glocks are just "one size fits most"; there are a few connectors one can play around with to find what they like best, but that's about it, just get over it and shoot the sucker.

I shoot the "wrong" Glock, a model 22 in .40, in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP. Other than some AmeriGlo sights, I leave it alone.

I seem to do ok.

Nice work!

That motivates me to try my "wrong" Glock 31 for Prod/SSP matches that much more. I'm ordering up a holster and some Warren sights for it on Monday. Other than that, I'm leaving it alone.

I took it out yesterday and found I was about as accurate with it as I am with my Shadow, slow fire anyway, even with the stock trigger and awful plastic sights. Did some low ready bill drills and found my split times were about the same too.

5 shots, 12yds unsupported.

IMG_0147.jpg

i have 2 Glock 34's one is stock other then Sevigny sights and grip tape and the other one runs Sevigny sights,grip tape and Vanek classic grand master kit in it..love them both,but i have to use Federal primers in the Vanek gun..Also have a 19 with 10-8 rear sights with Dawson FO on the front.

With the exception of stippling by accurate iron I run my g34 with no mods (seigneur sights) in uspsa production pistol and limited 3-gun. However, I've decided to get a trigger job to help with a trigger jerk issue I have after seeing what my local Glock armorer did with his competition 34. My instructor suggested I consider a trigger job as well ...

I shoot the "wrong" Glock, a model 22 in .40, in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP. Other than some AmeriGlo sights, I leave it alone.

I seem to do ok.

Nice work!

That motivates me to try my "wrong" Glock 31 for Prod/SSP matches that much more. I'm ordering up a holster and some Warren sights for it on Monday. Other than that, I'm leaving it alone.

I took it out yesterday and found I was about as accurate with it as I am with my Shadow, slow fire anyway, even with the stock trigger and awful plastic sights. Did some low ready bill drills and found my split times were about the same too.

5 shots, 12yds unsupported.

IMG_0147.jpg

Thanks! .357 sig is suposed to be accurate... :)

But expensive. :(

I went with the .40 because there were too many choices for bullets in 9mm when I got started. I just got used to chumping it up with this gun, so I stuck with it.

I'm glad reloading the .40 is pretty easy... I do like the new Gen4's much better because they don't treat my hand like a deli-ham on a deli-slicer.

So, after getting a hold of a "dot" connector, I've settled on it being the best trigger option for me. Using all stock springs, with the quickie $.25 polish job using Flitz, q-tips, and an old Cotten t-shirt/rag I've ended up with a very nice (for a Glock) 4.5-5.0 pull. The "dot" connector indeed lands right between the stock 5.5lb connector and the 3.5lb ones in pull-weight, but feel-wise it feels a lot more like the 5.5 connector than the "mushier" feeling 3.5's.

The "dot" connector has a shorter pull-length overall with a crisp break and short crisp reset compared to the 3.5 connector, it just loses about a 0.5-1.0lbs off the "wall" where it breaks vs. the 5.5 connector.

I found that the "wall" with the 5.5 trigger was just heavy enough where I would pull shots left if I wasn't really concentrating, and that the 3.5 connector was just creepy/mushy enough where I'd pull shots left waiting for the break; the "dot" connector seems to be helping me to avoid those issues for the most part and looks like it's the "happy medium" I was looking for.

So, turns out, I have made a few changes which make it slightly different from "bone stock": I changed out the sights, went to the "dot" connector, and added a Glock OEM extended mag release (part# 1981)... However none of these tweaks take it too far away from a box-stock G17 and it works well enough where the fault of any bad shooting squarely lands on the knucklehead pulling the trigger.

i have a friend that shoots his G34 completely stock and kicks butt left and right north to south putting open shooters and limited shooters to shame , i tried his pistol once and once amazed at how heavy the trigger was i tought the gun was all tricked out but to my surprise was all stock not even the sights were changed , he told me once that all those changes will make you relay in what the gun needs to make you a better shooter instead of what you need to do to become a better shot , since then i've been a believer of the indian skills not the arrow type

Hell yeah!

All I'm running on my G34 is Sevigny sights, steel guide rod and a grip plug. No plans to change anything else. I will always be of the mind that it's better to mold yourself to the gun rather than the other way around, whenever possible. It'll make you a stronger shooter in the end. This aftermarket trigger work nonsense is just snivel gear :)

YMMV however.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go the route of the steel guide rod?

Easier to change springs? Downloading ammo??

Hell yeah!

YMMV however.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go the route of the steel guide rod?

Easier to change springs? Downloading ammo??

The spring change thing mostly, and I think it's not only a generally nice upgrade to have but I definitely appreciated getting rid of the dual spring nonsense. I did the same thing on my carry gun - steel guide rod - and lightened the recoil spring by 2lbs. Glock makes some decisions based more on economics than building the best gun possible, such as with the sights and the RSA (same for 9 and 40? please...), which are 2 of the 3 things that I changed.

I shoot factory Federal AE 147gr that makes around 145pf, so definitely not downloading :)

• 1 month later...

I will be starting to shoot IPSC again with my G17, it's a USA made with the Rough Textured Frame, only mods I did was changed the sights to a Warren Sevigny .215 plain serrated front and installed an OEM "-" connector, no polishing whatsoever, all the springs and everything are stock. And so far I had the best trigger set-up I had on my Glock. I can't wait to shoot it on this coming weekend matches :)