Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is a really fast split? What are the GM's capable of?

digby7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magical split at 1:39 - accidentally on purpose :lol: I agree that transitions are the money maker, that's where I put my practice time since all the splits in the world don't do any good if you miss what you're aiming at:

Magical splits, I had one of those with a Glock in a local match, .11. Pretty much an unintentional perfect reset-ride shot on a hoser target. Oddly enough my semiauto splits are no faster than my wheelgun splits, although I haven't clocked myself with a 1911 recently.

Matt

Jerry Miculek is one of the consistently fastest I have seen with a 1911 and his splits, when I've seen the timer, run in the .11-.13 range.

*grumble grumble* trick finger son of a . . . he can do those same splits with a revo, don't ask me how. Though if you know, please for the love of god tell me how.

Matt

I havent shot a match in quite a while but I seem to remeber that, at any range, a .27 with 2 alphas is much faster than a .14 with a alpha mike. As for Jerrys slpits with a wheel gun, look at his hands, trigger finger like most mortals biceps and practice, practice and then some more every day practice.---------Larry

I can count on one hand the splits I've done under .16 and I've won a couple times. I asked Jerry one time how to get faster and he wanted to know why I needed faster splits? I said it was kinda like why I wanted a 10"---- to impress friends of course :)

He commented he didn't think he'd ever heard Rob do better than a .15 in a match. It's all about the time between targets ...

thanks for all the feedback everyone, I posted this topic originally and was mainly curious about what was possible.

At a practice last week, one of the local master level open shooters took me aside and walked me through how to relax enough so that fast splits could happen. I somehow ripped off a .10, .12, .13 in a bill drill. awesome feeling, dont know when i'll ever be able to take advantage of it in a match but it was a cool thing to figure out.

His advice was relax and a 80/20 grip.

you can see it here at 3:30 in this video

• 1 month later...

Just ripping rounds into the berm I can do .16-.17 consistently, as low as .12 when I really get it, but in a match I rarely get as low as even .20. (A class Open.) It's not something I've ever really worked on.

I have splits usually around .14 to .16 on close hoser targets. I recently took a buddy that was pretty new to shooting and i ran him through a couple of stages at my range at home. there were two classic targets 5-6 yards away right off the beep. I shot them as i said with about a .15 split. i let him shoot my open gun and his splits on those first two targets were all .10 or quicker, one was .08. I think this shows that there are some people out there that are just really fast at pulling the trigger 2 times. does that mean he saw the sights? no. Does that mean his transitions were fast? no. Draw? no. while it does have some merit to be able to pull the trigger really fast on hoser targets, considering the whole of the sport it is probably one of the things that you gain the least amount of time on from competitor to competitor

don't need insane splits to be a GM

Unless you can do .XX splits with solid transitions to A zones to the next target it really doesn't matter. Like Mike said It doesn't take fast splits to be a GM.

We had a glock 34 go FA at the range on saturday. owner reassembled it incorrectly.

The lowest split recorded was .11 and the highest was .13. So if you are doing splits anywhere close to that you're really moving.

Needless to say my splits are much slowly then that. If i see one in the .2X i am really moving, .3x is the normal at around 10 yards.

Edited by Seth Long

Glock are a lot faster than that on FA. Watch a video of a Glock 18 it's in the 1100-1200 rpm range

The problem is most timers are not able to pick up splits that fast and will only show every other shot. At 1100 rounds per minute it is firing 18 shots per second which works out to splits of around .05.

A class shooter here.. I can crank out .13-15 splits on demand and have hit .10 a couple times. granted, if the target is outside 5 yards, I probably ain't gonna hit As at that speed, but it is fun to hose from time to time. As many others have stated above, split times don't mean a whole lot in the greater scheme of things USPSA, as long as the split time is not excessively slow.

There is a YouTube video of Robbie for Action Targets. He goes through a drill with a par time of 3 seconds. It will really show the consequences of increasing your splits.

In essence, it shows how increasing the speed of your splits can affect your grouping. A .10 split is pretty cool for bragging rights, but doing 5 shots in a row from a draw in 3 seconds in probably a better indicator of skill. Seven shots is really cool.

• 1 month later...

I'm only a B class shooter but my normal splits are in the .15 range. The fastest I've ever done was a .10 on a couple of rare occasions. I can pull the trigger fast, sometimes I just don't hit anything while doing it.

I'm in the same boat! I can miss fast but I look damn good doing it!