Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers

Mrdwayne0405

I found a deal on a bunch of Wolf Small Pistol Primers. I am not a fan of the bullets, but I know nothing about these primers. Should I consider buying them for reloading 40 S&W? I'm new to reloading, as in I'm loading my first rounds when my bullets come in. I already have my cases primed for my first loads, this is just for future use...

I bought some when they were the only thing available a year or 2 ago. They have been completely unreliable. I was getting failure to fires on the rate of 1-2 per stage. Nice solid strikes. No bang. Extended firing pin etc. didn't help.

I found a deal on a bunch of Wolf Small Pistol Primers. Should I consider buying them for reloading 40 S&W?

A year ago, we had a giant thread on Wolf -

bottom line is that they work in some guns

and not in others:(

They are close to 100% in my STI, but about 60%

in my BHP.

I bought a million of them (price:) and use

them for practice rounds, not match rounds.

Jack

I don't have any problems with them as long as they are seated REALLY well. I have a failure to fire rate of about 1 in 20 with them in my lightly sprung Glock's since I started loading on a Hornady LNL. When I used to use a Lee turret which I think seated them much better, I had almost zero problems.

With stock Glocks they're fine. My personal experience... I have had I think, two true duds in about 7000 of them.

I shoot them in my 9mm single stacks (17lb hammer spring) and .40 Eagle loaded on the LNL with no problems. I have m2i extended firing pins in them though. I have a few thousand left and use them for practice.

I bought 10K back when I couldn't get my normal primers. I might buy them again for practice if I could get them cheap enough.

I initially had some issues with them, and it turned out to be a seating issue. For whatever reason, they were very hard to seat correctly. It really required MUCH more effort to seat them than any other primer. Heck, when I got some CCI primers, they seated so smoothly I checked the first 20 rounds or so after the upstroke because it didn't even feel like a primer was there. The feeling was that different.

Yes, I checked my press (650) to make sure there were not any issues. It also didn't matter which brass headstamp, either.

When they were all I could get and used them in matches, I did get an extended firing pin and beefed up my mainspring by a pound or so to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Now that other primers are available, I have set the Wolf aside simply because they are difficult to seat and it's easier to load with other primers. I'll save them for the next big primer shortage.

Just my experience. Other may have different stories.

I had a lot of good ones, then they switched the cups. The ones I have leftover from that disaster are so unreliable that I won't give them away. I had a squib that hardly cleared the barrel. The only thing to blame is the primers.

I have had no problems in large pistol, large rifle, or small rifle magnum. I do not and will not use the small pistol again unless they change the cup back to the former, softer, safer design.

Fortunately I got a full refund. I use only name brand primers now and I keep enough in stock to last me for a few years.

I think they are the hardest primer out there. They work in my Caspian and AR (SRMs) just fine but they are a no go in my M&P. They also don't run as smoothly in the press and seem to require more seating pressure. I have to admit that I also got mine back when there wasn't anything else and the price is sure tempting. But as soon as they are gone I'm not buying anymore. I'm stockpiling Federals for the upcoming election year drought. :devil:

I've only used small pistol and small rifle magnum, however, no problems with either. Work well in S&w 38 and 357 as well as 40 in glock and sig. Also work well in Marlin Carbine in 357 and JR carbine in 40 with glock magazines. The JR has a real light fireing pin strike and they seem to work just fine.

I've loaded over 30,000 of them on a Dillon 650 with two they didn't fire the first time. Both were due to seating issues on my part. Sooooooooo, what the heck, good price since no haz mat or shipping. Use them for practice and don't worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

I got 5k a couple years ago,LP and shot 2k last yr without any issues..load on a 650.BUT I've had more issues with 4yr old,Winchester,that seems like the darker colored primers are out of spec and crush easy..

So, basically, the general consensus is that they aren't the best. Mostly go bang... better for practice. Don't bet your life on them.

I read on another internet forum, so take it for what that's worth, that David Tubb used them and found that they produced a lower SD and better accuracy than any other brand of primer. Now that could be just internet folklore but I found that they delivered reliable results. I'd use them in match ammo without any worry.

So, basically, the general consensus is that they aren't the best. Mostly go bang... better for practice. Don't bet your life on them.

I read on another internet forum, so take it for what that's worth, that David Tubb used them and found that they produced a lower SD and better accuracy than any other brand of primer. Now that could be just internet folklore but I found that they delivered reliable results. I'd use them in match ammo without any worry.

Interesting, I have chronoed loads with them 2 weeks ago, and am geting ready to chrono the same loads with magtech and winch primers, so I will have some data.

But to answer the post, 10K of them bought when components were not available, I have used them all with 100% reliability in my S-I guns, but a friend shooting a Glock with a light striker spring had 10% not go bang on the first try, but did on the second. They have harder cups, but work in my guns.

Edited by fastarget

I've been using the LP's with my SS and they have all worked. Also tried Tula's for 9 and 40 and they also worked great. When I find them at local GS I buy them. I use my WSP and WLP for area matches.