Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you reload for friends?

Rugster

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get them hooked on a new aspect of their hobby,invite them over for social gathering and show them how easy it is..

You don't want to live with knowing you almost cost a friend his gun and possible use of hands because you made a mistake,

Ask me how I know...:(BTW Detonics make tough little guns

Also making money by reloading (manufacturing) ammo is a problem with the Feds. there's licenses etc. needed to do that

for me it doesn't pass the risk/reward test. but I will teach any of my friends how free of charge

John

Ok, how do you know? :huh:

Howsabout 9 grs. Unique behind a 230 gr RNL instead of 4.5 ? SS Detonics Combat Master bulged Pachmayr grips blew a magazine out and burn marks at the slide stop hole..

So never again...

I load for my sons, and myself, and for friends who don't have equipment. I've been loading for 35 years and have never had an issue. I do tell my friends that there is no guarantee that the round will have a problem, I tell them to check primers because I have had some in backwards. I put them in 100 round boxes to check primers are seated and correct when I pull them out the ammo can. I also help them learn to load on my equipment so they can eventually get their own and load for themselves.

No way. Liability from a squib or double charge is way too high.

+1 I agree totally. Doesn't matter how good of a friend or neighbor they are, but once their gun blows up and someone loses an eye (hopefully that would never happen) you will probably be hearing from their attorney.

Let them come on over to your house and show them how easy it is to get started but that due to liability you are not going to do it.

No, because of the liability issues. That said...errr...I my SOL gets a fair number of bullets from me and I do help another friend sometimes, but it is a bad idea to load for others.

Edited by sidnal

Actually, from a legal standpoint (excise tax-wise), the question would be "Are you reloading from a supply of brass or are you reloading the customer's brass and returning it to him?".

If I load ammo for you that comes from a bucket under my bench, then Federal Excise Tax of 11% of the retail value would be due. If I reload the 942 pieces of brass that you brought me and you effectively "retain title" of said cases, then the tax is not due. If I throw 58 cases into the bucket to give you an even 1000, then tax would also be due.

Being a cop, I have a bit of a fatalistic attitude about liability. I can be sued for saying "Good Morning" to somebody if they feel that I violated their civil rights...

Risk is still to high. It's not the big boys you have to worry about, it's the family. I have seen it to many times(not with guns mind you)

Now next time you watch tv see how many commercials you see for attorneys

Risk is still to high. It's not the big boys you have to worry about, it's the family. I have seen it to many times(not with guns mind you)

Now next time you watch tv see how many commercials you see for attorneys

Absolutely.

Need ammo? If we've shot and I've got factory loads, no problem. Pay me back when you can.

If I've got reloads? Nope. Sorry. Not unless there's a zombie horde coming across the ridge and they've already gotten the lawyers.

Your buddy might not sue, his family (under normal circumstances) might not sue.

But then along comes an ambulance chaser (or a more distant relative) who says, "Sure, he's gone. But I can get you a Mercedes and a house on the beach.

"That'd be nice too, right?"

I had a friend who went to law school, and you shoulda seen his eyes 'kaching' when he got to the point where he was studying tort law.

The Litigation Lottery is just too tempting.

Isint the uber emphasis on liability just a bit much? The friends I let shoot my reloads are big boys. Besides Ive seen/had KB's over the years and besides some missig meat and simple fractures havnt seen "shattered lives and grieving widows"

Time to utterly flame the new guy? :cheers:

This is not flaming the new guy. If you are fortunate enough to never be involved in an allegation of civil liabilty consider yourself blessed. Anyone who has will tell you it was no fun, even if they were totally in the right and "won". Civil liability, while used as a crutch in many conversations, is very very real consideration when potential personal injury is involved. Laws vary State to State and jurisdictiond with contributory negligence further cloudly the waters of a discussion like this.

One man's input.

:cheers:

Isint the uber emphasis on liability just a bit much? The friends I let shoot my reloads are big boys. Besides Ive seen/had KB's over the years and besides some missig meat and simple fractures havnt seen "shattered lives and grieving widows"

Time to utterly flame the new guy? :cheers:

Welcome mr lucky. you sound like the guy that drives drunk,never killed or harmed someone and still thinks it's ok. reload one bad round that kills or puts someone on disability then sues or mom and dad sues you, you may have a different out look.

No the emphasis on liability isn't overstated. Like others have said, it's one thing if it happens to you, but if it happens to someone else, they will sue. This is why you carry liability insurance for your business and why it's structured as a corporation to protect your personal assets. Generally someone will follow the money, so your insurance company will pay out and you probably won't be personally sued unless you're wealthy.

If you don't have a reloading business with insurance, nevermind the legal aspect of it, you're simply held personally responsible. That means they sue you personally and your assets, both money, future income, and real estate owned are subject to be forfeited to pay for any damages they are awarded. Your homeowner's and umbrella policies will NOT cover this no matter what you think.

Everyone is friends until they are hurt and/or their gun gets damaged. Then the gloves come off and it gets nastier than a divorce. I am not aware of anyone actually being killed by someone's reloaded ammunition, but have seen and heard many stories of injuries and a few eyes were lost.

Chances and statistics tend to illustrate that the majority of ammunition is safe, but even the large factory manufacturers with all their technical gizmos still have ammunition that blows up guns and hurts people. A guy in his home pulling the handle on a Dillon isn't immune from the same failures.

I have, I had a friend with a 30-06 bolt gun that would not hit a barn at 20 yds. He was shocked at the difference a recrown and some nicely loaded bullets made. Now he comes by a few weeks before hunting season for 100 new ones. I will not load pistol rounds, I can watch the powder go in the rifle rounds as the are done on my single stage.

I wouldn't do it for friends unless they either watched me do it, and verified themselves, or they did the reloading while I verified. I would do it for family though. My sense of awareness and competence wouldn't change, as it would essentially be like I was reloading for myself. I load on a Lee LCT, so it's basically a single-stage with a rotating turret, I can watch every step of the process, and it's one-round at a time.

Edited by polizei1

I'm in insurance, that being said I will let them shoot a few with me standing there I watch closely when they shoot to make sure we don't have a squib, and I work on a single stage and weigh charges and visually inspect each so there is almost no chance of doublecharging....almost...

it makes me nervous in the what ifs .....I also advise no rapid firing.

Only for my daughter's boyfriends. :devil::surprise::ph34r:

:roflol: lets see,, i was at home :eatdrink: and in came my daughters boyfriend and i was like :devil: so i said hey bud lets go load for your 300wsm....that is very very funny..this is for you :bow:

see, its the "almost" and for pistol ammo on my progressive I worry about a KB. How does everyone feel about rifle ammo?

Main difference between rifle and pistol ammunition is lube and case trimming. Other than that, the inherent danger is the same.

see, its the "almost" and for pistol ammo on my progressive I worry about a KB. How does everyone feel about rifle ammo?

Main difference between rifle and pistol ammunition is lube and case trimming. Other than that, the inherent danger is the same.

understood, however I do not load rifle on a progressive so for me I know how what goes into each case because I put it in there. On my progressive the machine does it and I can only look an check.