Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When your time comes

eerw

I know how you feel,,it hurts,don.t know what you do for a living but when it happened to me,I got off my butt found the best job I ever had making the most Money I ever made,good luck :cheers:

Good luck Stu. I went from a good salary with an expense account, to working at whatever I can do for whomever wants me to do it, for the best price available. I went to everyone locally that I had worked for in the past and let them know I was back on the market. That got me back working doing whatever it was they needed. I finally have a job again, but it took a while. Luckily in the interim I was able to keep busy doing all the things I know how to do.

JZ

Yep, Been there done that just this past April. I did not sleep for days. Lost almost 20 lbs from not eating and worrying. It sucks for sure. I found work right away, not making as much money but 10 times happier at work so i guess it was a trade off.

When I look at the unemployment numbers I don't think of nearly 10% unemployed I think 90% are employed. Shooting matches held me together even though I had plans to shoot more majors and had to scrap them this summer.

Hang tough and best of luck in everything.

The one time I got laid off it was right after a divorce. Stress levels were quite high. I really hated the work environment, but could not see any other solution. Got laid off and found a new job (significantly less money), but really liked the new employer. Being laid off was really in my best interest (healthwise), but you could not have told me that at 2PM the afternoon my boss said "We are going in different direction and your not going".

I know how you feel, but try looking for something positive and it will help.

Maybe try and think of it in terms of shooting. It was a tough stage that just didn't work out. Gun jammed, hit a no shoot, dropped a mag. But now the only stage that matters is the one that's coming up. Try and not dwell on the one that went wrong, it'll ruin the match for you. Step back, breathe, think about what you're going to do, and then do it. I'm sure you've been in that spot at a match before. And I'm sure you've dug in and wound up surprising yourself. Maybe even won the match. For me, those are the ones I remember. Those are the matches that tell you something about yourself. So catch your breath, and make ready. Hang in there!

Good luck! I'm in the same boat. I got my notice in September but I'm in a protected status because of jury duty. Once I'm released from jury duty, I'm history. If I can offer this, the stress will be there. You can't get hung up on it. There is no time for worrying. Decide what you need to do find new employment. It's been my experience that the job change only leads to new doors opening. Network!!! Let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position.

Best of luck!

I know I am not the first and I am not the last.

but this is a first for me in my career.

Got laid off yesterday. went to bed at midnight, up at 2am.

See how many of my posts are at 2:00 or later. I know where you're at.

I appreciate Reid's optimistic perspective, but very much like a USPSA stage, there ain't a do-over. My limited understanding is you have a wife and children. That means you have to do whatever and everything it takes to provide.

Like that's not a mountain of pressure...

Do what you have to do but keep your sights set high. You might have to do some tasks that are beneath you for a time, but don't get too comfortable with that. Remember that you are worth more.

Know your value and others will eventually snap to the same realization.

The first time it happened to me was 2007. It happened two more times before the end of 2008. It's a pretty bad feeling, it definitely affected my outlook on life and employment.

All I can say is keep swinging. No matter what. When you can't sleep, be online looking or reviewing your resume.

My thoughts are with you, good luck.

Kevin

I remember the first time I got laid off. It ruined my 401K--I had some good bucks in Fidelity, had to sell the house at cost, pretty close to ruining my marriage. It took 8 months to get back to work. I had a brand new baby so I was sweating all the time, luckily I had enough cash (in the 401K and serverance package) to barely make it.

Scary times. I made an effort to job search six hours every day. I sent out close to a six hundred resumes. Sold the house and was moving back home with what was left in the money reserves. I got the job offer during the move and did not realize it for three days.

The key was to make looking for the next job a full-time job. I had the self-confidence to know I was going to get another one, it was just a matter of time. It was also during a recession but I tried to keep the faith.

For the last 12 years, I pretty much been an independent consultant. So I have been 'laid off' or project ends many many times. Now I know what to do.

Get my resume on the job boards, contact recruiters (in the olden days they would say only use one recruiter--that is pure bs these days) and go to the range for an hour at least three times a week!

The real key to success is managing the stress. For me that is either trigger time or riding my bicycle. Exercise will reduce the stress.

I have had to do this so many times, I now know the routine. It is still a full time job looking for the next one. Apply for unemployment benefits asap. Now days you might be able to get them to pay you more while you are being re-trained!

Manage the stress in the interim and have faith it will all come together again.

I like what Kevin says about keep swinging, no one remembers how many time Babe Ruth struck out--only the home runs. He kept swinging, that is the key to success.

Edited by pjb45

I've been laid off twice in my working life. In both cases "the grass was greener on the other side". On the last one, the HR lady (who I knew pretty well) called me a couple of years later and asked if I would consider coming back. I told her what I was doing and what I was making. Her reply: "Oh wow! So I guess that's a no huh?"

I know it doesn't feel like it now, but keep your head up and keep trying, you may find it was a good thing. Best of luck to you.

I know how you feel, I was laid off for the first time in my life it sucks. Not really much to choose from in my neck of the woods with the economy the way it is so right now I work at night and I'm back in school to get into the medical field figure job security everyone gets sick. Serving food an going to school seems like I did this 25 years ago "Damn I did". Good luck