Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What NEW product does Dillon need to work on?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a lip on top of the powder alarm to keep it in place when placed upsidedown on powder measure

650 Up grades:

Case activated priming - no primers advancing without a case present. Both the Lee loadmaster and the LNL have this feature.

The spent primer catch should be up graded.

The snapping of the shell plate as it enters into position could be smoothed out

finger adjustment or round knobs on the charge bars

come up with a way to shut off the case feed tube down on the press. I currently use a piece of bent hanger wire to hold closed the spring operated gate (that when open drops a new case into the press)

cheaper caliber conversions

power measurer safety rod and linkage needs improved - I took off mine and just use springs.

switching between small and large primers takes too long - need to purchase additional parts to make it go quick.

use more of the same size nuts/bolts so you dont need 50 different size wrenches or hex keys.

• 2 weeks later...

a better system to catch the spent primers, i have had a sd, 550 and now i have a 650, but on all of these machines the primers are all over the.

do something about the snappy shellplate

the possibility to buy upgrade kits for the old presses.

a primer system that can hold 500 primers instead of 100.

cheap primer tube filler

a light that fits in the middle hole of the toolhead.

the possibilty to swage primer pockets on a 650.

bulletfeeder

+1 on a couple of the ideas here.

I was thinking of some way to swage brass by removing the priming system and have a swage kit.

Edited by djeffers

How about a redesigned primer system on the xl 650? A built-in swager would be nice (on the 650). But, really, no complaints. Every Dillon machine I have used has been far better than the other brands I've tried. Anybody wanta buy a Lock-n-load AP?

On the SDB:

I'd like to be able to buy dies for stations 3 and 4 similiar to Dillon's regular dies; where you remove a 'clip' and can remove the dies/insert and clean them...without having to remove the 'top-end'.

The ball handle is not comfortable for me. The "Mec" style, longer cylinder shape, is better IMHO. Again, I'd buy it...doesn't have to be 'free'. ;)

Adjusting the bell on the casing is difficult without removing the top end.

A SDB style reloader where the priming is done on the same "stroke" as the other functions...is an "automatic" buy for me... :D

We've had great suggestions for improvements to existing products for Dillon, what new product do you think they should introduce? These are things we would actually buy ...

My suggestion would be for a compact loader to replace the SDB, with conventional dies and designed for travel/range use. (maybe set screws instead of lock rings to save space). The Square Deal C?

+1 on the Bullet Feeder...

...also...I would love a 5 station 550b. Prefer the manual shell plate but would love one more station for a powder check (or whatever).

...Don't know about the wet tumbler, seems like a lot more mess than my Lyman. I have tried the Ultrasonic and it did NOT work. Using good range brass I am happy with my corncob and walnut results.

...What about a less expensive primer loader? I can't believe there is no replacement for that Midway vibrating one (forgot name) yet...

...32 ACP Dies?

...Sig .357 dies that AREN'T $150?

That's all I can come up with...I am nitpicking with these....The 550b easily surpassed my previous Load Master press and I am very happy with it...

Undrpsi

Dillon already chimed in on the other thread and said that they couldn't do a bullet feeder because it would somehow prevent them from shipping to international customers. And they also said they don't believe in wet tumbling so that will never happen.

All I want is a clone of the ammo-load presses for a reasonable price ($3-5K). It would be based on linear motion, include additional stations (say 10 or 12) for validation and tolerance checking, and also be easily adaptable to an auto-drive. Commercial loaders would jump on them in a heartbeat and I would too. I don't need 4000 rounds an hour, but I do need reliability and automation.

Dillon already chimed in on the other thread and said that they couldn't do a bullet feeder because it would somehow prevent them from shipping to international customers. And they also said they don't believe in wet tumbling so that will never happen.

All I want is a clone of the ammo-load presses for a reasonable price ($3-5K). It would be based on linear motion, include additional stations (say 10 or 12) for validation and tolerance checking, and also be easily adaptable to an auto-drive. Commercial loaders would jump on them in a heartbeat and I would too. I don't need 4000 rounds an hour, but I do need reliability and automation.

I saw that comment but I don't understand it. I understand the system being export controlled, but the existence of a component? Control only that.

I, too, think some kind of linear press from Dillon would be outstanding.

2 more stations on the 1050, one before and one after powder charging

An INEXPENSIVE primer tube filler

A bullet feeder capable of handling cast bullets (ref. above for need for an extra post-charging station)

A spent primer tube to feed the spent primers to a bucket (that 1050 primer catch is so 1890s)

Dillon clothing in XXXXL sizes

A "Come and Meet your Favorite Dillon Girl" with free food

A posting for tours of the plant

An improved primer pick-up tube to eliminate that stupid plastic tip.

A primer flipper tray that is at least as good as Lee's on their Auto-Prime

A clear notice why a carbide die for a bottleneck case in NOT any thing any reloader needs (though just the word "carbide" gets a lot of people eager to get one).

A summary of all the wrenches and such each press requires for maintenance.

Somebody to re-write your manuals so a normal person can follow them step-by-step

Supplying a DVD with each new press.

Sell sectioned cases so one can set-up the primer swager on the 1050 for those of us without the required saws

If possible, on Dillon's version of the Auto-Disk, adapt the "vernier" scale the Lee has on their totally worthless adjustable charge bar.

1. A case feeder muffler, that thing is like a salvation army greeter in front of the grocery store.

2. A better used primer catch cup for the 650

3. Press delievery and set-up service by the calender girls

4. A better powder baffle, the Unique tek one works very well for being very simple

5. A poor mans primer filler

• 2 weeks later...

First, Dillon makes good presses and has a very good design. The basic machine is what I am talking about as the attention to detail, which makes a product really great, is sorely lacking. They are at fabulous helping you and their customer service is second to none.

The biggest issues on the 650 are exactly what GRIZ says: "On the XL650, the spent primer trampoline and the unused primer ski jump should have never made it into the final product... They are so easy to correct that it's baffling why Dillon lets these warts persist on such a great machine." I hate the snap back of the shell plate. Yes I know, I've called customer service many times; you cut the spring, tighten the center bolt but nothing seems to work for very long. It is really annoying, makes a mess and slows me down not to mention the inacccurate loads. The last advice I got was to hold my finger on the shell plate to provide friction so it doesn't snap back. WHAT !!! How many years has this press needed three grease zirks?? I see they finally have a replacement crank with zirks [two ?] - but what about the zirk needed for the top link arm pin? This is typical American engineering though; once you design and build it why would you want to make it better? or to work properly ? Was it for 20 years the large medallion covering the Cadillac trunk lock hung open ???

I love the design and how the 1050 works but I will NOT buy one as I don't need the grief. I have a few friends that have them and love them. I have far more friends that have nothing but trouble all the time. Some, in an effort to save their sanity, have sold them. They end up taking off this part to get it to be reliable, then that part, then another - reset this, adjust that, file this, bend that. I don't know what happened here but it is almost as though an engineer [not dissing engineers] built it, got it working and then, as far as the company was concerned, the project was finished and they let him go before it was perfected and all the bugs worked out. This may not be the case here but I have seen it happen many times.

Come on Dillon !

Edited by bwit