Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made in USA

Iggy42

In the market for a 4" 1911 and while I have my eye on a couple one of the factors will be where the gun is made. I really want it to be Made in the USA, and frankly I have no idea who does anymore. Add to that I know some people make some models here and have others made elsewhere (STI comes to mind).

If it helps my budget is roughly 1000, although to be honest I only have 650 (possibly 775, depending on if an offer for my current 5" 1911 stands) set aside but I am thinking ahead to Christmas/birthday since both are soon.

So anyone got any ideas?

I may be mistaken, but I think all Springfields and all STIs except for the Spartan are made in the US. I think the Ruger is too.

Springfield uses Brazilian frames (currently own a SA Loaded) although thanks about the STI. I knew they had some that are made in the Philippines and QC's here but I was not sure which ones.

Sadly Ruger is only making a 5" 1911 as far as I know, but SHOT Show is not that far away so they may have something new next year.

Not exactly what you are looking for but The Itacha Gun Company located in Upper Sandusky, OH makes a beautiful 45acp 1911.

http://www.ithacagun.com/1911.html

Yeah they are on my wish list to own someday. Doesn't met my current need for something a little more concealable, but I would like to own one at some point.

Too bad they don't make a good multigun shotgun. Could probably modify one to work, but something tells me it would be more hassle than its worth.

Edited by Iggy42

Define made in USA.

NM Springfields are assembled here, parts are not made here.

I know Colts are all US Made, as are I think Smith and Wesson.

I would guess Kimber is, but no idea of the source of there forgings.

In your price range I would find a Springfield NM or an STI.

Define made in USA.

Basically I want Made in the USA stamped on it. I know not many do these days (other than its all over the S&W website) but in general I want a gun that could fit that mold.

So by that definition I would say US forgings, US assembled

Define made in USA.

Basically I want Made in the USA stamped on it. I know not many do these days (other than its all over the S&W website) but in general I want a gun that could fit that mold.

So by that definition I would say US forgings, US assembled

By that you are eliminating one of the best forgings of slides and frames, Springfield Armory. The current NM prefixed guns are machined and assembled in the US. For other companies in the US I don't know where their raw steel is coming from.

Rich

Kimber

Smith & Wesson

Dan Wesson

Sig Sauer

Colt

Les Baer :)

I was recently in a similar hunt. I ended up with a Kimber. The fact that S&W writes "read owners manual" on the side of the frame is a major turn off for me. I wanted a Sig but between a goofy sight cut in the traditional models and the extra weight of their standard models I decided against it.

Think I would cruise the gun shops in the area for a used Kimber four inch, there's enough of them out there that a clean one should pop up in your price range. I've bought several five inch Kimbers at good prices.

The last was a Kimber Gold Match one of the best shooting 45's I've ever had.

Just spend a little time looking they are out there.

don't forget about nighthawk custom and wilson combat. probably er... definitely out of the 1000 price range but they are also made in the US of A.

Yeah if I had 3k I would be all over a Nighthawk T3 like dead on Elvis, sadly I'm not

• 2 weeks later...