Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckmark or Ruger

cuzinvinny

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Buckmark's. I have 4 - one open, one integrally suppressed, a micro and a rifle.

I have 2 currently. My heavily modified open rimfire gun and an iron sight one with a long barrel. I won a 22/45 at one event, spent over $150 in parts to try and make it shoot like my open Buckmark and could never get it to feel as good. Sold that and my old S&W 22S also. Now I only have Buckmarks.

I shoot a Ruger that's full of Volquartsen parts and a C More scope but tell new shooters to look hard at the Buckmark.

Think out of the box it's a little more for the money.

Starting from scratch I'd start with the Buckmark and a good optic.

C More is money well spent. Shooting open sights they sell a Buckmark with fiber optics installed at the factory.

Either way you go these little 22's are a lot of fun.

I have a buckmark and when it was out of the box, it will eat any ammo...then when I tried lightening it up and got me a Tacsol barrel, it became picky but still runs with CCI mini-mags without problems. On the other hand, my friend has a Ruger and he had a hard time tweaking it to run without malfunctions.

I shot both the Buckmark and Ruger before deciding to purchase the Ruger. The ONLY modification I wish I could make is to extend the safety. A little more meat on it would be nice when transitioning from the low ready to the first target. I am worried I will not fully disengage the safety. Haven't had a problem yet but its always in the back of my mind.

Maybe a dumb question. Are you required to have the weapon on safe at low-ready? I couldn't find anything in the rules about that. Only that the finger must be outside the trigger guard. I have to admit, I never once put my buckmark on safe at the 10 or so steel matches I shot over the summer. It simply stayed pointed downrange from the time it was loaded until it was declared safe at the end of my turn.

I shot both the Buckmark and Ruger before deciding to purchase the Ruger. The ONLY modification I wish I could make is to extend the safety. A little more meat on it would be nice when transitioning from the low ready to the first target. I am worried I will not fully disengage the safety. Haven't had a problem yet but its always in the back of my mind.

Maybe a dumb question. Are you required to have the weapon on safe at low-ready? I couldn't find anything in the rules about that. Only that the finger must be outside the trigger guard. I have to admit, I never once put my buckmark on safe at the 10 or so steel matches I shot over the summer. It simply stayed pointed downrange from the time it was loaded until it was declared safe at the end of my turn.

From Low Ready - No. From the holster - Yes.

I prefer the buckmark!

That gun is perfect...care to share the build sheet?

Buckmark URX

Tac Sol 5.5" barrel w/ comp

Slide racker custom built and milled/tapped the slide

C More RTS red dot

Heggis Flip

Trigger from Rusty22 from Rimfire Central (He builds lots of awesome parts for a buckmark)

I agree that it is the perfect 22 pistol. This gun is awesome to shoot. It is very light and shoots very flat and fast. I play with Federal bulk from Wal-Mart and it shoots them great. For matches I shoot Federal Match from Wal-Mart. As long as I keep the gun fairly clean, it does great. I strip it down and clean it completely after about 1500~2000 rounds. Before each match I clean out as much gunk as possible and relube it.

what do the top dogs shoot?

1911's with 22 conversions

How do them get them to run. The 22 conversions I have seen at steel shoots choke. I have owned both and kept the Browning Buckmark. Both are good but the Brownings controls are easier to operate and take down is easier. On my guns the Browning has had better trigger pulls.

Pat

IMGP3333copy.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

thanks....how is the stock trigger on a buckmark? what is a Heggis Flip?

I prefer the buckmark!

That gun is perfect...care to share the build sheet?

Buckmark URX

Tac Sol 5.5" barrel w/ comp

Slide racker custom built and milled/tapped the slide

C More RTS red dot

Heggis Flip

Trigger from Rusty22 from Rimfire Central (He builds lots of awesome parts for a buckmark)

I agree that it is the perfect 22 pistol. This gun is awesome to shoot. It is very light and shoots very flat and fast. I play with Federal bulk from Wal-Mart and it shoots them great. For matches I shoot Federal Match from Wal-Mart. As long as I keep the gun fairly clean, it does great. I strip it down and clean it completely after about 1500~2000 rounds. Before each match I clean out as much gunk as possible and relube it.

The stock trigger is heavy. The Heggis flip is flipping over the sear spring. It makes the trigger a lot lighter.

Go to rimfirecentral.com and do a bit of searching. There is a ton of info there.

The stock trigger is heavy. The Heggis flip is flipping over the sear spring. It makes the trigger a lot lighter.

Go to rimfirecentral.com and do a bit of searching. There is a ton of info there.

That's right singlestack, there is alot of info. not only on buckmarks but all rimfires. Also, for buckmarks there is a guy named rusty22 that makes some cool parts for the buckmark.

My vote goes for Buck Mark. Had a 22/45 and sold it for another Buck Mark for my girlfriend. She liked how the Buck Mark felt.

Here are our Steel Challenge guns. Mine is on top, hers on the bottom.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

We have very few issues with them. Mine for some reason doesn't like HP ammo. I polished the feed ramps on both barrels. We shoot CCI minimag.

That's right singlestack, there is alot of info. not only on buckmarks but all rimfires. Also, for buckmarks there is a guy named rusty22 that makes some cool parts for the buckmark.

Another thanks for the link! Getting good info for my 10/22 off of that, but also regarding some ammo choices for my own Steel Challenge .22lr, which happens to be my grandfather's 1950's era High Standard... with no modifications and gonna stay that way. (No, don't even think of asking me for my times!!!) Yeah, I think once I get my 10/22 squared up--it's an "ultimate" I'm building up to teach my daughter how to shoot on--the Buckmark is next. I didn't realize the number of modifications I could do till I got involved in this thread. THANKS GUYS! :cheers:

Just FYI.. I was using a Ruger Mark III, and a fellow competitor was using a Buckmark, CCI ammo wasn't the best choice in 20 degree and below weather!! Wax build up on the projectile was gunking up our mags and causing FTF problems. After noticing the problem, I wiped the wax off each individual round and cleaned the build up out of my mags and had no problems afterwards.

Edited by cworks

• 3 months later...

I had a buckmark for 5 months and sold it. Couldn't get it to run and switched to ruger 22/45. Polymer lower weighs nothing. Put a tac solutions barrel on that with volquartson trigger and extractor and it runs like a scalded ape. My 9 yearold grandson loves to shoot steel with it also. But it can be difficult for some to chamber a round into it. The entire weight of the gun with barrel and cmore is unbelievable. I like a light gun for faster target acquisition. I had the hunter mk III target model with stainless lower and it was to heavy, love that polymer lower.

• 2 months later...

I had a ruger for years and thought I was happy with it. A buddy of mine told me to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 22 pistol because he wanted one. Shortly after, a guy at work asked if I knew anyone that wanted to buy his buckmark. I said, "my buddy is looking for a 22 pistol how much are looking to get out of it"? He said, "well, I have the gun, a holster, a case and a few boxes of stingers, I will take 100 bucks for it". I said "screw my buddy, I will buy it tomorrow". My buddy was not to happy but I fell in love with the buckmark and have never looked back at the ruger. The ruger is now gone and I don't miss it one bit. That was about ten years ago and every time I take the buckmark shooting the guy who sold it to me just bows his head and says how much he misses it and wishes he would have never sold it. If anyone else wants to sell a buckmark for $100 just let me know:) Just kidding, that is one of those deals that only happen once in a lifetime.

i went with 2 rugers, and never looked back. i'm sure buckmarks are great, too. but after shooting my 22/45 and mark III target, i really don't see what could be better. Here's a picture of my 22/45. My "local" clubs first steel challenge is coming up, and this is what i'll be shooting.

385504_932206628657_37610855_40140568_62006330_n.jpg