Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckmark or Ruger

cuzinvinny

I took my two nephews out shooting steel plates this summer. Then I told them about our steel challenge style league. They really enjoyed the outing and are interested in more of this type shooting, and may even consider joining the league. Both are junior shooters, 14 and 17 years old. My brother has asked for my advice in choosing an entry level pistol for them. The two pistols that come to mind are the Buckmark and the Ruger. I am leaning toward recommending the Buckmark, due to its being easier to maintain. I have heard horror stories of people who got their Rugers apart and found they needed to get them to a gunsmith in order to get them back together. I believe either model is pretty easy to upgrade with a Tactical Solutions barrel. I shoot a S&W model 41 and am not very familiar with either model. I'm looking for pros and cons of each model.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my two nephews out shooting steel plates this summer. Then I told them about our steel challenge style league. They really enjoyed the outing and are interested in more of this type shooting, and may even consider joining the league. Both are junior shooters, 14 and 17 years old. My brother has asked for my advice in choosing an entry level pistol for them. The two pistols that come to mind are the Buckmark and the Ruger. I am leaning toward recommending the Buckmark, due to its being easier to maintain. I have heard horror stories of people who got their Rugers apart and found they needed to get them to a gunsmith in order to get them back together. I believe either model is pretty easy to upgrade with a Tactical Solutions barrel. I shoot a S&W model 41 and am not very familiar with either model. I'm looking for pros and cons of each model.

Personally I shoot a Ruger in steel challenge and love it! IF you have a rubber mallet or gun smithing hammer disassembly and assembly of the Ruger is not that bad. You just have to get the hang of it. I must admit I went to this website .... http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html .... and clicked Ruger Tech Tips icon, then clicked the Ruger Mark III disassembly and watched the video.

I shot both the Buckmark and Ruger before deciding to purchase the Ruger. The ONLY modification I wish I could make is to extend the safety. A little more meat on it would be nice when transitioning from the low ready to the first target. I am worried I will not fully disengage the safety. Haven't had a problem yet but its always in the back of my mind.

I love my Buckmark.

I liked my Ruger, but I sold it to buy the Buckmark.

I wouldnt switch back.

The Buckmark feels like a real gun, the Ruger felt like a toy (a heavy toy)

The Buckmark was simple to strip and clean. The Ruger was like a Rubiks cube to reassemble.

A TacSol barrel is wonderful and easy to swap. The Ruger requires an entire upper...a serial numbered part.

The Buckmark trigger can be improved in minutes without any permanent modifications.

Did I mention that I love my Buckmark?

I love my Buckmark.

I liked my Ruger, but I sold it to buy the Buckmark.

I wouldnt switch back.

The Buckmark feels like a real gun, the Ruger felt like a toy (a heavy toy)

The Buckmark was simple to strip and clean. The Ruger was like a Rubiks cube to reassemble.

A TacSol barrel is wonderful and easy to swap. The Ruger requires an entire upper...a serial numbered part.

The Buckmark trigger can be improved in minutes without any permanent modifications.

Did I mention that I love my Buckmark?

+1 to everything.

(except I still have the Ruger)

I spent years shooting my dad's Ruger 22-45 while growing up, and when their house burned down that @#$%! Ruger was the only thing I wasn't sad to see go!!! Ignoring the nightmare of reassembling it, it's fine to shoot but nothing to salivate over.

On the flip side, I've shot several Buckmarks, and it's one of the few (honestly!) guns I currently have on my bucket list to own.

Having said all that, the gun I shoot the most nowadays is an original Hi-Standard .22lr Sport King. I've seen them for sale at gunshows for a few hundred bucks, and it's the best buy in the world. Close to a perfect .22lr pistol... though I think if I ever get my Buckmark I may shelf the old Hi-Standard in favor of the Browning, especially if I can tinker with it like my 10-22 with TacSol parts, etc.

Another vote for the Buckmark, was the first handgun purchased when I turned 21. Easy to take apart and maintain. Not picky on ammo, stay with high velocity.

Browning also offers a model now that comes with a aluminum bull 5.5 inch barrel. Friend has one and it nice weight and shooting wise. Comes with fiber optic front sight. Gun comes in green and grey with newer style URX grip. Barrel is Tactical Solutions style(steel sleeve in aluminum) but the flutes are cut in different pattern. Wish they would of had this avaible years ago when I bought my last one!

Haven't ran a Ruger but have friends that do.

The two pistols that come to mind are the Buckmark and the Ruger. I am leaning toward recommending the Buckmark, due to its being easier to maintain. . I'm looking for pros and cons of each model.

Very little difference - both are great guns, and the boys will love either.

BUT, handle them both. I went thru this process last year, and was leaning

towards the Ruger (More familiar with them), but once I handled the two

guns side by side - I had a distinct preference - and my wife agreed.

As you've read, half of the shooters prefer one, and the other half prefer

the feel of the other. Try the trigger pull as well.

Go heft them both, and see what you and the boys like better - you'll be

correct.

Good luck,

Jack

I've never shot a Buckmark, but I have owned a Ruger 22/45 for a while now...

One thing you should know BEFORE you buy the Ruger 22/45 (and the other Ruger .22 pistol)

is how hard it is to grasp the bolt-ears and pull the bolt back on the Ruger's. You only have two small tabs to grab-on to, and often people who are unfamiliar with it cannot open it. Especially if the hammer falls on a dead-round, then you have to pull back against the force of the hammer, which is difficult for me and impossible for anyone else in my family.

For a child or other family members this will be a deal-breaker, unless you install a slide-racker or other extended handle to the Ruger, which is also a hassle to get one and install it correctly to where it doesn't break later.

My M&P22 is not a "target pistol" like you are asking about, but by comparison it is much easier to operate and open the slide against the tension of a fallen-hammer, so even my other family members can operate it, load/unload, and clear jams without having to call for help.

I don't have a Buckmark to compare, but if it gives extra area on the "slide" to grasp and force it open, that would be a plus over the Ruger, as far as "ease of operation" is concerned.

When it comes to accuracy, I really like my Ruger 22/45 it is always more accurate than I am. ;)

Edited by SlowShooter

Looking for a gun for the wife and kids I was leaning to the Ruger as I have many Ruger guns, but liked the fit and feel of the Buckmark. It has performed very well and I am happy with the choice. FO front sight, 1911 type controls, accurate, great trigger out of the box, $300 from Sportsmans Warehouse (cheaper than my wholesale price).

Hello: Get them a model 41 :devil: We have 2 Buckmarks and one Ruger 22/45. My sons started with the Ruger but actually like the Buckmarks better. They like the way it feels in there hands and also there is less mass moving under recoil. There is more stuff available for the Ruger but that is going to change since I have heard they are going to start making trigger parts etc. for the Buckmark. I like the Buckmark better also. My sons are 9 and 13 now if that helps. Thanks, Eric

I started shooting rimfire steel this year and bought the 22/45 and 2 buckmarks (slab side, stainless URX, 1 for me 1 for my girlfriend. Both buckmarks run 97% with good ammo and the ruger runs 100% with CCI ammo. I have yet to shoot either buckmark in a match because I cannot afford it to give up on me twice on 1 stage. The buckmarks feel better, recoil feels lighter and they look better than the ruger, I just have not had the be as reliable as the ruger. All 3 guns are stock except for adding FO front sights. Just my experience.

I have both the Ruger and Buckmark. I like the Buckmark better. A few reasons are: the URX grips are great; I've had better luck with reliability; both have a TacSol barrel and the Buckmark barrel does not require a FFL transfer; slide seems to be better to manipulate for me and my daughter; I feel it looks better too.

You really can't go wrong with either but vote would go to the Buckmark...

But now I shoot my M41 for Steel Challenge and my daughter shoots the Buckmark...The Ruger stays in the safe...

Edited by gng4life

Thanks for all the replies, at least now I can tell my brother I'm not the only person who favors the Buckmark.

One of the keys to the Buckmarks is the magazines. They work really well. There is also a lot of aftermarket stuff for them too.

Another plus is that they seem to hold resale pretty well. Not sure why but there always seems to be someone looking for one used.

Like the rugers myself with the 1911 grips. Mine has a Cmore sitting on top, 1911 grips and the mag release is drilled and tapped for an ed brown button. The disassembly really is overrated. If you have any mechanical skills, if you see it done once its easy to do again.

I have all three, Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 and a 1911 w/ a Marvel conversion. To be honest I like them all, but for a kid I would most likely recomend the Buckmark. The slide is easier to rack and the gun is very light with a Tac-Sol barrel.

I have all three, Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 and a 1911 w/ a Marvel conversion. To be honest I like them all, but for a kid I would most likely recomend the Buckmark. The slide is easier to rack and the gun is very light with a Tac-Sol barrel.

I have had the opposite experience with racking the slide on my 2 buckmarks and a borrowed one. If the hammer drops on a round and doesn't set it off on all 3 my girlfriend has been unable to rack the slide on any of them. Sucks on a steel stage when that happens to her. The ruger she can grab the back of the slide the way it's shaped and get enough grip to pull it back. I haven't tried skate board tape on any of them but just using the serrations it it too hard when she has to cock it and eject the round that did not fire.

I have had the opposite experience with racking the slide on my 2 buckmarks and a borrowed one. If the hammer drops on a round and doesn't set it off on all 3 my girlfriend has been unable to rack the slide on any of them. Sucks on a steel stage when that happens to her. The ruger she can grab the back of the slide the way it's shaped and get enough grip to pull it back. I haven't tried skate board tape on any of them but just using the serrations it it too hard when she has to cock it and eject the round that did not fire.

You have 3 girlfriends?? You da man!

You have 3 girlfriends?? You da man!

Yeah. One named Leigh. One named SH, one named WH. :cheers: