Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Bulk Pack, Yikes!

cajun0007

I was shooting a 3G match this past Sunday and I had failures on every shotgun stage with my Benelli M2. After completely blowing every stage with the shotgun, someone said that I should check out my shotgun ammo (why didn't I think of that). I was using Federal 7.5, 1 1/8, 3 dram, 2 3/4" from Wally World. Well, below is a picture of one of the shells found in the box I was using. This is not the only messed up shell I found in the box but it was the worst. That is the last time that I ever use the cheap stuff in a match again. Lesson learned.

0ee1e8b8.jpg

5640cc66.jpg

I have put over 1000 rounds of the Federal from Wal-Mart thru my M2 Salient without a problem. But for the Multi Gun Nationals I am using Winchester AA. Thanks for posting this, I will look at my Federal shells a lot closer.

Edited by Trail3

I shot sporting clays at a high level for many years. Never, would any serious shooter use low quality ammo in a major match. You spend thousands on equipment and want to save $2.00 on shells? Doesn't make sense. Winchester AA Super Handicap or Remington Nitro.

for a little while longer now, you can get back 2 bucks per box of Winchester AA shells:

http://www.winchester.com/library/special-offers/Pages/2011-AA-Promotion.aspx

naturally there are all sorts of stipulations like you gotta cut the UPC barcodes from the box, you have to send in the original receipt, the deadline is Nov 15th, and it is only good for up to 50 boxes of shells per household.

I buy my AA shells from Wally World. They are running $7.57 per box for the 12 gauge. So with the $2 rebate it knocks it down to $5.57, which is either less or right around the same prices as the el cheapo bulk Federal packs.

Same feeding problems for me & my M2 with the Federal bulk pack. I ran 6 boxes in practice without any problems. First match, I had 3 failures to feed. I switched to AA's and havn't had a problem since.

I had similar problems with bulk pack ammo at the Pro-Am, altho Im not 100% whether it was ammo or lifter related (lifter has been fixed). Either way, I'm not taking chances and from now on, cheap stuff for practice and maybe local matches, AAs for majors.

I've actually had great luck so far with the Remington bulk pack from Wally World out of my FN....not so good of luck with it running the Winchester bulk though for some reason. If you can find a place that sells Estate stuff (ie. Cabelas) I'd go that route though as they seem to be a much better option and run about the same price per case.

I've actually had great luck so far with the Remington bulk pack from Wally World out of my FN....

Same here with the M2. The Remington WM stuff seems a little better quality (amazingly enough) than the Fed or Win. The crimps seem more consistent and better formed for good feeding.

I'm assuming that your lifter has been welded up?

I was having the exact same problem after mine was welded. I put a 10* bend on the tip of the lifter per a thread by KurtM. Runs 100% now. The welded lifter is longer and was pushing the nose of the shells too high.

Never had any problem with the 100 round value packs from federal. Alot of times I will use the $4.77 1oz loads without issue. Winchester seems to be the worst of the value pack. Gun is a remington 1100.

I have seen bad batches of ammo in every single one of the major ammo companies premium or not from time to time. I had some AA 410 shells that had plastic flashing over the primer which caused duds.

Easy fix on the hull problems is examine the shells before you use them

Edited by EkuJustice

I have a Winchester SX3 and my shotgun choked on the Winchester bulk pack. Runs great on Federal and Remington. If I had to feed it AA for it to work I would have sent it back. If I shot big matches ya throw down for the good stuff. Just make sure the gun will work with it before its too late.

ETA you should always check the ammo before loading it. I have had some crimps so loose the bb's were falling out.

Edited by ziebart