Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 2 Championships Nov 9 - 13, 2011

I think perhaps if you got bumped out of Open, the scoring system allowed their scores to be recorded. It is not a new division, just a way to enter the scores into the computer. This pretty a subjective observation and no way meant to speak for the MD.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think perhaps if you got bumped out of Open, the scoring system allowed their scores to be recorded. It is not a new division, just a way to enter the scores into the computer. This pretty a subjective observation and no way meant to speak for the MD.

Nope, it's fixed...

That is excately what I did. I did that so the shooters could see how they would have finished.

My son and I shot the match for the first time. We had a blast. Great stages, great squad, great prize table and the weather cooperated!! This will be a "MUST ATTEND" for us from now on! Good job guys!! :cheers:

Same here first ever major match for the both of us and it was great

This was my first match at Rio Salado and I've got to say, what a nice range. Plenty of room for the 12 stages, a dedicated Chrono room (not just bay, but room), friendly ROs and great stages. I'm starting to travel more for matches and get outside of my local area (SF Bay Area) and this range is going to be one I'll watch closely for upcoming matches and I'll definitly be coming back for Area 2 next year.

I don't have one single complaint or criticism about the match... well, I didn't get squadded with all my friends who I asked to be with, but the squad was full, I submitted kinda late and now I understand that happens sometimes. It actually worked out well. I was on Squad 10 and we had an early start the first day and later start the second two days, which I much prefer. That first day's 5:30am wakeup and 6:50am first shots were a little rough on me, I don't do mornings. But the second two days start at 1pm and 8:50am were great :D We started with only 10 shooters and on the last day had only 7 (1 DQ and two finished early), so we got through the stages fast enough to see the last few shooters of the squad ahead of us shoot. We had a couple of longer waits, but only after the chrono or on fast stages, which is kindof to be expected since we were a small squad. I didn't mind any of it at all.

When I looked at the stages online I saw a lot of paper, few poppers, few swingers and stage 12's double drop turner/clam shell combo deal and thought that match would be kinda boring. I usually like steel and texas stars, polish racks, things that move, things I havn't seen. BUT, now after shooting the match and not having to reset a ton of steel, paint, set the star, rack or any funky carnival contraptions I've got to say that I'm starting to prefer paper. It's a ton easier and faster to set, you really have to call your shots with all the hard cover (there were a lot of open targets, but you had to get angles on them), and they all seemed to be (for me) at that magical distance where you want to hose them, but really have to watch your sights to get your hits, but still not far enough away to really slow you down. Along with the wider target transitions and being able to use side berms, it was a lot diffrent match than I've ever shot before. Challenging for me, but still fun and definitly not over complicated.

Daggar10k and I traveled together for this trip. We had some travel snaffus with being separated from the rest of the people we knew (and were going to share rides with...) but it worked out, and he eventually got his sight fixed and caught up to us on day 1. But for me at least the match went very well, I was a little slower than I would have liked but shot conservativly, got my hits, had only one miss for the whole match and that was on a swinger that I rushed the shot on and didn't make up. I finished 27th Limited, 4th B and the prize table rewarded me well.

I got video of my shooting for the match and I'll be putting together a youtube video that I'll probably post here eventually :D

I thanked every RO in person after I shot the stages, but any reading this I'd like to extend a thank you once again. I'd also like to thank any other match or stats staff and stage builders who read this because I really do appreciate all the work that went into the match, it really showed.

first area 2 for me. weather didn't melt this one from the great northwet, staff was great and i had FUN!

thanks to all and i will do everything i can to make every year from now on.

Edited by dr2e

I have RO'ed a few of the Area 2's now and this was the best group of shooters yet. In years past there were always a couple of squads that don't help much, but I found this every squad helped. If we had not had the help we would have never been able to get all the shooter through. Our stage was a medium size stage and without help we would have definitely had squads waiting. At the post match RO meeting we were told we had a record number of shooters this year.

Next year is the 25th anniversary and every one working the match wants it to be special so I would recommend not trying to register at the last minute.

I think this was the smoothest-run Area 2 I can recall! The RO's were great, stages challenging, timing was spot-on. No backups at all.

Thank yous to all involved, and looking forward to the 25th anniversary next year!

Wow - that's way cool!

I think this was the smoothest-run Area 2 I can recall! The RO's were great, stages challenging, timing was spot-on. No backups at all.

Thank yous to all involved, and looking forward to the 25th anniversary next year!

Wow - that's way cool!

Thinking about coming out or retirement next year Brian ?

Wow - that's way cool!

Thinking about coming out or retirement next year Brian ?

Brian, one more time, just for what it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Great match, great ROs, and Polle was perfect as always. For me at least the stages were deceptively hard. Lots of open targets that weren't hard to line up on at 80% speed, but turn the wick up and barrels rapidly turned them into quickly disappearing partials. Squad 26 was da' bomb other than the fact that they made you sprint out if you were going to get to a target to tape before others had claimed them all. LOL

Edited by Neomet

Great match, great ROs, and Polle was perfect as always. For me at least the stages were deceptively hard. Lots of open targets that weren't hard to line up on at 80% speed, but turn the wick up and barrels rapidly turned them into quickly disappearing partials. Squad 26 was da' bomb other than the fact that they made you sprint out if you were going to get to a target to tape before others had claimed them all. LOL

There's more than one way to compete. Maybe we should have scored stage reset times. Still waiting for my target taping GM card.

This was my first Area match, period. What a great way to get started shooting major matches! The squads were just the right size, the match moved along as planned, the stages were excellent and the range officers were extremely good at their jobs. The prize table also was impressive and it was good to me. :rolleyes: I am going to shoot Area 2 every year if at all possible.

A HUGE thank you to everyone involved in running this match!

Now, I would be interested in hearing which stage people found the most technical, the most personally challenging, etc.

I found stage 10 the most technical, but found the backing up stages to be the most challenging.

I have managed to get some of my videos of squad mates up already. The video titles tell you what stage is being shot so you can get a better idea of what the match looked like. I will add more probably on the weekend but I wanted to get my team mates' videos up right away.

Enjoy!

Edited by lawboy

Seeing him there for the 25th would be uber cool.

Thanks guys!

But since I've been out of it for eleven years now, it will be doubtful. ;)

John LaMarca shot through with our squad on Saturday morning. He was wearing a jacket from the "2nd Annual Ernie Hill Desert Classic". You would of enjoyed that. :D