Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini 14

Dan Hefta

A good shooting buddy of mine is selling his Mini 14 and I have allways wanted a .223 carbine. He claims that is runs flawless and I believe him, is there any thing negitive about the Mini 14 that I should know? If I buy it, I am planning on getting a Tapco Fusion stock for it.

Hey I shot one the was very accurate. I could usually hit 12" plates at 50 yards with it. :devil:

Seriously, If you have always wanter a mini-14 and you are just gonna have a fun gun, I'd say go for it. If you have always wanted a .223 carbine, get an AR. Spend just a little more and get a heck of a lot more gun. And the AR in damn near infinitely upgradable.

I have an accurized one..I keep looking for another factory used one. I always liked them. They'll eat any ammo you have. The chambers must be really generous. It seems it'll shoot stuff that no AR could begin to chamber

You do need to get Factory magazines for them, or older PMI mags

If you get it for the right price...

I really tried with my ranch rifle, I needed a, well ranch rifle, glass bedded aftermarket stock, scope, different ammo, gun was totally worthless for its intended purpose, I couldnt hit anything outside shotgun range smaller than 18 inches or so, not so good for predator control. I now have a 15 dollar 12 gauge and a stevens 22 magnum..

I had a buddy who bought one & couldn't hit anything with it. Then he completely stripped it down & detail cleaned it & afterwards started ringing 10-inch plates at 200 yards. Evidentially Ruger coated everything with cosmoline & after it was cleaned out it shot fine.

Definitely shoot it before you buy it. Take it apart and see how its been taken care of.

For all information about the mini, go to www.perfectunion.com, the forum section has over

150,000 postings about the Mini, all your questions will be answered.

Dan is right about the mags, Ruger, or PMI only.

I have a early model mini 30 (7.62x39) if you think the mini 14 accuracy is bad, well the 30 makes it look like a sniper rifle.

Trigger job, accustrut, quality ammo made no real difference.

Ruger has supposedly fixed the accuracy issues with barrel redesign to remove some unwanted harmonics.

I put a $30 5 MOA red dot on mine to compliment its fine accuracy.

David E.

You’re not looking for a good deal on a barely used mini-30 with a Hogue stock are you?

I've got one of the new Mini-30 Tacticals. It's about a 3moa rifle with irons.

Ruger's been making their own hammer forged barrels since 2005 or so. The change to barrels made in-house has supposedly changed the Mini- series from MOB to MOO (minute of outhouse).

:roflol:

The only person I've seen who could hit things with one was Cheryl (a member here) and she has since switched to an AR.

I've always wanted one for shiggles but I can't justify paying even $500 for one since a $500 AR15 is at least 3MOA capable.

They are neat little guns, but it wouldn't be my choice for a. 223 carbine for all the reasons listed above. They can be made to shoot, some years ago I got a chance to shoot one that Clark Custom had done. It had a nice trigger job and either a heavy barrel or some sort of barrel sleve. It would put 5 rounds of good ammo into about 1.5"at 100 yards. Having said that, my bet is that for what it cost to get it to that point you could buy a good ar and have some money left over.

I seem to recall ruger making some changes at some point in the last 5 or 6 years to try to improve the accuracy but I don't have any experience with that.

The only person I've seen who could hit things with one was Cheryl (a member here) and she has since switched to an AR.

I've always wanted one for shiggles but I can't justify paying even $500 for one since a $500 AR15 is at least 3MOA capable.

I thought I felt a great disturbance in the force. I bet Michael makes her keep the AR in the garage though- instead of the house.

I've watched hundreds of people shoot them, most like you see above.

I've only shot two of them, both MOA accurate, one 3/4 MOA.

But.. they had good scopes, in good mounts, fed handloads tailored to the gun and shot very very slowly.

If you're going to blast and bang away you sure won't get a tack driver or anything even close. lol

So like others said, it depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're looking to shoot rifle/3 gun with it I don't think you'll be very happy. (I do plan on shooting a club match with mine one of these days though)

Edited by cas

I had the perfect setup to keep on my boat.

Stainless Mini-14 with the factory folding stainless stock. Had the barrel cut to 14", crowned, and silver soldered the M-14/M1A style front sight/flash hider unit.

Saturday took it to the range for some 100 yard groups.

Sunday took it to the gun show and traded for a shorty AR.

A very sad day indeed.