Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber optic sight users Green our Red?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ran both, and I use green. I think I read somewhere that green is easier for the human eye to pick up in most cases. And green means go!...lol

Edited by sdm74

I had always heard that red was easier for the eye to pick up, which was why they made tail light/brake lights and stop signs/stop lights red. I think that initially gave me a mental boost that i was shooting the "easier" to pick up color. Of course i have no evidence of that and a google search gave me nothing.

What color are your shooting glasses? That will have a lot to do with which color will be most visible.

When I tried the Racing Red lenses, I could not see any color sight well. When I used a light or medium purple lens (either from Sunbuster or Rudy), green shows better. Heck, green shows better for me without any glasses on. Must be my old eyes.

I'm running small red fiber .040". I tried green for a short time.

Blonde or Brunette? Only way to really know is look and see what works best for you and your eyes

Spot on. What we do doesn't matter. You have to try it both ways for yourself.

As others have said, much of this depends on *your* eyes and what colors they pick up easier. Everyone's eyes are different and for men especially, if you take a color blindness test you may find that some shades of red and/or green are harder for you to see well. Basically, If you do have issues with one color shade, pick a different color or shade to use in your sight that you can see well and "pops" for you.

For me, the Red stands out more against the background and so that is what I use on my competition guns. For me this is true with clear, red, and yellow lenses.

I have a green fiber on my Buckmark and to me, when I shoot it outdoors the green fiber seems to be harder to find rapidly when you are shooting against a green background like trees, shrubs, grass etc.

Green. Decot Target Orange lenses make green stand out from everything, and the fiber is no exception.

But the main reason is that if I have a red fiber, I tend to treat it like a dot, and that doesn't work.

I read something on here once where the poster had the idea of switching the colors up frequently. Using one color for a significant period of time allowed the shooter's eyes to get used to the color and get lazy with tracking the sight. By switching the colors regularly it quickly drew the shooter's eye to the sight. I don't do this, but I thought it was an interesting idea. I use a red FO on my front sight and it works well enough.

I use red. I recently switched to green to give it a try. I switched back pretty quick. I shoot a weekly indoor match where the lighting isn't all that great in some areas & I couldn't see the green fiber at all in there. I melted a big old blob so I could see it, but it just didn't work for me.