Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber optic sight users Green our Red?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run green. I see it faster than red.

Some people are going from green to red because of the foliage on the berms, but I think flourescent green is a differnt green than foliage.

The sun has a lot of iron and sodium in it. At atomic temperatures, those elements emit strong yellow (sodium) and green (iron) light. the photopic vision curve ( the sensitivity curve of the human retina in daylight) peaks it's sensitivity at the highest level of output of the solar luminosity curve or more correctly, emission curve. (Interesting correlation) Humans do generally see best in the boundary area between those two colors, given that the lens system in your eye is not far or near sighted. Also, as we age, there is a protective yellowing of the crystalline lens in the eye and there can be clouding also for a variety of reasons. These effects may effect the preference you show as regards color. Tinted lenses can interfere with the sharpness of your vision, especially very dark lenses, due to aperture effect. This is huge for older shooters that are afflicted with presbyopia and experience compressed depth of field anyway. More light = smaller pupil = sharper sights. Lenses that block wavelengths from 400nm to about 410nm or 420nm (near blue range) will give sharper vision also. Blue photons have very high energy and will overstimulate photo receptors of all kinds. Think of it as optical noise. It is VERY important that you be certain whatever lenses you wear, ESPECIALLY if tinted darkly, absorb or reject UV range wavelengths. (below 400nm) If anyone would like an explanation in greater detail of the optical physics of this, I'd be happy to stupefy you with boredom as regards why all the above is true. If you must wear tinted lenses, a light grey or neutral density will give you the best color rendition. If you can get a fiber for the front sight, in any color that has UV sensitive phosphors added to it, it will fluoresce in daylight and especially in cloudy or early morning/late evening light conditions. (lots of UV around) So the sights will be VERY visible in comparison to materials that do not have this "doping". It's easy to see on a cloudy day or under a "black light". These are the physics and of course they do not account for "human preference". If you test it though, you'll find that equipment which matches these criteria, allows you to get on your front sight faster. Brian mentioned in his book, that he didn't like yellow so much as it seems too bright, as I recall. There are variables as regards individual retinal sensitivity, when you introduce the fact that 78% or so of males have a red green color deficiency. Your results may vary. Call now our operators are standing by this offer is not available in stores!

I've tried both. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. Ended up with red, works fine.

If you don't pay attention to the front sight consistently, that's a software issue, not one best solved by switching out colors every other match.

Bright red fibers tend to "bloom" on me and look like a fuzzy blob to the point I have trouble making out the top of the sight. I have to darken the fiber with a sharpie to allow less light and dim the dot almost to the point that I'd be just as well off without a fiber at all.

A bright green fiber on the other hand is a perfectly crisp and clear, draws my eye quickly to the front sight and allows me to still see the top of the sight crisp and clear.

Must be something with my eyes. Have been using fibers on pistol sights for less than a year but I noticed the same thing almost 20 years ago when I started shooting fibers on my bow sight. Green and yellow were perfect, red was fuzzyshrug.gif

Green. But for a different reason than most. After shooting OPEN for years, I tend to treat a Red FO Front Sight like a dot and completely ignore the rear sight.

Yep, same here....

I prefer red. Green is too bright to my eyes. I guess it transfers too much light. A green fiber rod turns into a huge glowing star of light that washes out everything around it including the target and the rear sight notch. However, the red fiber optic is just bright enough to provide heightened awareness of the front sight. Red remains a crisp dot, while the green glows like a star shaped reflection.

I took red green yellow and gold fibers out in the sun and put them in my hand arms lenght out closed my eyes then opened them and whichever one stood out thats what I used, for me it was red.

The Brightest color is not always the best. You need just enough attention to your front sight so you don't forget its there, but not enough to flare and blur your front sight picture. Green (and sometimes pale yellow) work best for ME in that regard, red just "blooms" to much. Each to his own.

Green for me, I am moderately color blind with reds and they don't show up well.

A fiber optic front sight with no fiber optic in it works better for me than red. They might as well not be there because I can't see it.

My fiber optics are yellow. At least I thought they were till someone told me they were green. They could be lying. I wouldn't know. :D

• 1 month later...

I run green for sports centered around shooting cardboard and red when shooting steel challenge. Those combos seem to stand out the best for my eyes.

A few weeks ago, I had problems focusing on my red fiber optic while shooting red pepper poppers. Thought the green might be better in those situations B)

Edited by Dwain C. Baer