Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Heatsink on Barrels

Smokin

How necessary is the JP heatsink on their rifles? Coming from a long range shooting background, I have never liked to attach objects to my barrels as they tend to affect the harmonics of the barrel. Granted, the barrel remains free floated, but I would have to assume that both stainless steel and the aluminum heat sinks expand at different rates (aluminum and steel have vastly different thermal coefficients of expansion). ALso, M4's, M16's, etc undergo far heavier rates of fire than any of our competition rifles would ever see in a match. Do most shooters opt to have the heat sink? For those that dont, have you noticed any adverse conditions?

Please don't read this sober - it will make sense if you don't thing about it

If you are sober hit your head on the floor twice.

I was told by some-one that said , they had talked to a guy that talked to John Paul. and this guy said that that guy said that J.P said , the heat sink really was not much use to 3 guns as we don't shoot continuously like a varminter might.

Or a Zombieiter :mellow: I made up the last part

Edited by AlamoShooter

I had one installed in my CTR-02 and LRP-07 before I knew better. :roflol: I've decided to leave them on for the CDI factor and the fact I really don't want to take off my hand guard.

I had one installed in my CTR-02 and LRP-07 before I knew better. :roflol: I've decided to leave them on for the CDI factor and the fact I really don't want to take off my hand guard.

Same here. Wish I knew... wish I knew.

Im glad this thread was started, couple local guys had been debating this same thing. We had all come to the same conclusion that there wasn't much point in it. Most of us shoot long range also along with 3 gun comp and always thought that the heat sink would change the harmonics of the barrel. Also couldn't see that it would cool the barrel that much quicker. It Doesn't really matter if it does or doesn't if it doesn't doesn't make a tremendous difference especially for 3 gun, we didn't really see the point in it. It does look cool though.

The heat sink works really good, but you have to blow on it between strings. Shoot these targets over here, while you are running over there, start blowing on your hand guard. Blow all the way until you hit your next shooting position. Shoot like a mad man, and start running and blowing again...repeat...I actually have one on my rifle. I put it on when I did a build about a year ago. It is under a PRI carbon fiber forend, and it looks pretty cool through the holes. Does it really do anything? I don't know, but I think it looks cool, so that has to help with the positive vibes and voodoo and stuff, right?

I'm getting ready to order a JP rifle as well, and I've been having the same debate about whether or not to order it with a heatsink. It seems like out of the responses above, the consensus on them is about 50/50.

I'm getting ready to order a JP rifle as well, and I've been having the same debate about whether or not to order it with a heatsink. It seems like out of the responses above, the consensus on them is about 50/50.

While I tend to think it unnecessary, why ask smucks like us. If you will call them, John Paul will be glad to talk to you and give you his opionion on the issue shich is the real reason to buy a JP anyway: The designer is glad to help you.

I think they work, I just don't think they are needed for 3-gun but neither is a B.A.D. lever and it seems everyone but me has one of them so get the heatsink if you want to, its your gun.

A BAD lever can come in very handy on those stages when you do have to reload unexpectedly. Reloading with a bad lever is nearly as fast as reloading with the bolt closed on a hot round. So since the BAD lever does have a use maybe the heatsink does too.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

In all seriousness, I spoke with a maker of handguards a while back, and asked about the introduction of some vent holes because of my heatsink. He responded, that during the test phase this was considered, and data was collected with and without holes, and with and without heatsink.

His results showed a lower temp (think 20-30 degrees). with heatsink, and only 2-3 degrees lower with the vent holes. So the increased surface area made a larger difference than did airflow.

He offered to send me the test data, and I declined, but I do believe him.

As far as accuracy, I can attest that my ctr-02 shoots 1/3 moa in optimal conditions with heatsink, and handloads. I can't imagine it being more accurate without it.

Hope this helps in more of a BE way ;)

I've had JPs with and without the heatsink. When you get above 6x or so, they do reduce mirage. Regardless of ambiant conditions, they will drop the peak temperatures reached of the barrel. Lower temperature "might" mean longer barrel life. However, anything you can do to reduce heat build-up at the receiver to barrel nut interface will help with accuracy. I have found that the heat droop of the receiver to barrel nut interface is reduced with the addition of the JP heatsinks thereby making the cold bore and hot bore POI closer together. Are they necessary? No. Are they beneficial? Yes. Surface area is much more beneficial to heat rejection than airflow.

Everyone who owns a JP rifle or has JP components in their rifles knows of the quality of JP's products and the dedication and commitment JP himself put into them. So I know that if JP did not believe that the heatsink works, he would have put so much time into researching and producing it. I have it on my JP LRP-07 rifle. I don't pretend to know how it works but I know that it does as I have have not seen the mirage effect on my JP rifle like I have on my other 308 caliber rifles when shooting hoser-type stages.

The heat sink is one of the least expensive upgrade products you can get for your rifle at 75 dollars. Again, as many others stated I am not an expert and may be wrong here. I recall something that the full stainless steel barrels cool less efficiently than chrome-molly. I believe that is one of the benefits of combining a JP stainless barrel and sink together.

Quote from JP WEBSITE

"Tests show that most heat resulting from sustained fire is developed in a 2- to 3-inch area in front of the chamber causing throat erosion and reduced accuracy over time, not to mention the problem of heat buildup in the hand guard itself that makes handling of the rifle difficult or impossible."

I have seen several comments about a heatsink changing the harmonics of the barrel. Is that necessarily bad? There are devices on the market designed to 'tune' the harmonics to improve accuracy. Anything you add or take away from a barrel will probably change the harmonics, but is that always bad? I could certainly understand if you added a heat sink and accuracy suffered that you might want to remove it, but could it not also improve accuracy? Just because a barrel is in the same state it was when it was first manufactured, does that mean the harmonics are optimal for a particular load?

I am by no means an expert, and I have no interest in stirring things up. I am simply seeking information.

Arnie