Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 50 too old to start?

teamshrink

I shot for the first time at christmas and I'm hooked. I have a G17 and I go to the range twice per week. I've had two lessons that were just trigger control, stance, sight control and such. I'm hardly a good shot, but I'm getting better.

Anyway, the shooting sports look fun, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself. I don't expect to win anything, just to have some fun and get better.

What do y'all think? Is 50 too old?

No not at all. I started at the big 50 also and have enjoyed match I have shot even recognizing that I will likely always be a "C" class shooter. Even managed a couple of trips to the nationals after winning slots in "D" and later "C" classes.

I started when I was 63. Last year I had a left knee replacement and a total right shoulder replacement. I'm shooting the Ohio Sectional next week. All I can say is, 'Don't let the old man beat you'. :roflol:

A.T.

I think dead might be too old. Otherwise, no. I shoot with guys in their 70s, guys missing limbs, one guy with a bum hip, etc. They all seem to have a good time so come out, be safe and have fun.

im 30 now and started shooting seriously about 4 years ago. i consider myself better than average but i'm yet to be classified so i really have no way to rate myself accurately against other shooters. the place i shoot most often has a 72 (i think) year old shooter that i'm pretty certain said started shooting when he was 50. he mops my a** up on a regular basis. i love it and hate it at the same time. he has so much fun shooting its great. never too late. if you enjoy it, do as much of it as you can.

Fifty is probably the median age at most of the matches I've been to. Competitive shooting is expensive and I think that leads to a lot of guys in the their mid 20's - 30's, then their is a "baby gap", followed by a lot of guys 50+.

I'd make the suggestion of going a couple of matches, figure out where your weaknesses are and who the top shooters are. If you can find one of the top shooters who teaches private or semi-private lessons you'll come up really quickly. The money you spend on lessons will balance out the money you would have spent on practice ammo and equipment that didn't quite work.

The instructor I train with (Mike Briggs, Hopkinton, NH) can generally take a shooter who is comfortable with handguns but not competitive and have them finishing in the top half to top third at local matches with only a few lessons.

Also, bring a camcorder or camera phone with you when you shoot a match. Someone will always be willing to run the camera as you shoot a stage. Initially shooting competitively is more about learning not wasting time rather than learning to shoot faster. The camera and good instruction will show you where you can save lots of time while you are not shooting (movement, draws, target transitions, etc).

This board is probably the greatest resource on the net. If you post what part of the country you are in I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations on good instructors. The instructor at the local gun store or shooting range most likely won't be the guy you are looking for.

I always liked this video where Todd Jarrett explains the basics of proper grip and stance:

Matt Burkett's videos are also excellent. I think the first one ("Volume 1-3") is the best: http://www.predatortactical.com/DVDs-and-Books/Practical-Shooting-Handgun-Techniques-Volume-1-3-p25.html

Good Luck.

P.S. Don't get discouraged by the scores on your first bunch of matches. I think everyone on this board has had the experience of looking for their name at the top of the score sheet and having to scroll wayyyy wayyyy down. It's humbling but makes your future achievements that much sweeter.

Edited by blind bat

50 is not too old at all! I started competing with a handgun at 50, and 2 weeks ago won my class at a major IDPA event. (and got a bump up to SS!) I'll be 52 in a few days.

At a local match yesterday, I was the 2nd youngest in my squad. :cheers:

Have a great time! B)

Edited by BillR1

50 is not too old at all! I started competing with a handgun at 50, and 2 weeks ago won my class at a major IDPA event. (and got a bump up to SS!) I'll be 52 in a few days.

At a local match yesterday, I was the 2nd youngest in my squad. :cheers:

Have a great time! B)

I didn't start IDPA until I was 52. Why so late in life? Because they didn't organize IDPA until I was 51! I had several years in IPSC and PPC as a base to build on, though. Likewise I took up BPCR and F class rifle shooting in my 50s after getting acquainted with a major serious rifle shooter who wanted somebody to go shooting with. I had never been a competitive rifle shooter (except for a little NRA Junior many years ago) and that was definitely a new world.

So give it a whirl. If you follow safety rules and Course of Fire instructions, you will not make any more a fool of yourself than we all do at one time or another, and nobody will care.

I started when I was 50, been shooting IDPA for 8 years. Love it being able to compete in a sport and beat the young ones on

a regular basis. To be honest a lot of the top 15 shooters at our matches of 100+ shooters are 40-60.

So long as you are capable of navigating the stages in a SAFE manner, you are not too old to start. Too old to be World Junior Champion? Yes, there are some things that have hard limits.

Seriously, if your goal is to have fun, you can start as I said at any age where you are able to safely negotiate teh COF. We have shooters in their early teens and we have shooters in their 70's some of the teens have been at it longer than the old guys. Shooting is one sport where 4 generations can compete heads up. I've yet to see it, but I would be thrilled to have Great-Grand-Dad, Grand Dad, Dad and Son all on one squad. Figure a 20-25 year generational gap, it could be 12, 37, 60 and 80. Yes it can happen. Certainly three generations can be out there.

So no, 50 is not too old. I have shot since I was 4, competed starting around 10-12 and after a long break for other things got back into shooting in my mid 40's. There are things I think twice about doing now, but I still shoot all divisions in USPSA and Tac Optics in Multi-gun. I place well in all and get beat by guys both older and younger.

Have fun, be safe. No one here makes a living from matches. No one goes home with the Cadillac from a club match (unless it was already theirs and they drove it out in the morning) We do this for fun. We look forward to seeing you on the range.

So long as you are capable of navigating the stages in a SAFE manner, you are not too old to start. Too old to be World Junior Champion? Yes, there are some things that have hard limits.

Seriously, if your goal is to have fun, you can start as I said at any age where you are able to safely negotiate teh COF. We have shooters in their early teens and we have shooters in their 70's some of the teens have been at it longer than the old guys. Shooting is one sport where 4 generations can compete heads up. I've yet to see it, but I would be thrilled to have Great-Grand-Dad, Grand Dad, Dad and Son all on one squad. Figure a 20-25 year generational gap, it could be 12, 37, 60 and 80. Yes it can happen. Certainly three generations can be out there.

So no, 50 is not too old. I have shot since I was 4, competed starting around 10-12 and after a long break for other things got back into shooting in my mid 40's. There are things I think twice about doing now, but I still shoot all divisions in USPSA and Tac Optics in Multi-gun. I place well in all and get beat by guys both older and younger.

Have fun, be safe. No one here makes a living from matches. No one goes home with the Cadillac from a club match (unless it was already theirs and they drove it out in the morning) We do this for fun. We look forward to seeing you on the range.

Great answer Jim, thanks!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you have mental awareness to be safe while shooting, you are not too old. And don't think about being competitive. Concentrate on being 1) safe and 2) smooth. Let those principles guide you and set your standard for "fun." You may or may not eventually become competitive, but the people who win at IDPA matches are not necessarily the ones that have the most fun.

Seems like I was about 50 when I started shooting IDPA. I made Master four years later. I got downgraded by IDPA HQ after a near fatal motorcycle crash last August. I shot three Classifiers earlier this year and scored Marksman in SSP, ESP and CDP. That's where I started all over again. So far I have moved up to Expert in ESP and SSP at major matches. Still have a ways to go to get back to Master. I am 62 years old.