Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 6

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see chris go home.....I agreed with the other guy's comment about how foolish it was to send christ to the elimination challenge.

I assume that's a typo huh.gif

Oops! Freudian slip I guess.....that's what happens when you post from a cell phone. Haha

Sometimes Top Shot amazes me how the directors/producers selects weapons. Obviously, there's a lot of 'sponsors' on the show, its being shown at prime time, tonight's episode, what, they expect viewers to go try/buy/experiment throwing tomahawks?

It was a little boring. Maybe its just me. Sad to see Chris T go. They could've used sling while they're at it.

Some comments:

1) I didn't really like the comment the expert said about Ashley. That because he looked most like a lumberjack he should throw the Tommy-Hawk the best? Huh? So if there was a samurai sword on Jay should be the best because he looks the most Asian? :ph34r:

2) Although the Tomahawk can be argued for it's use (it is a weapon, but it's Top SHOT, not Top-Master-of-all-things-lethal), I liked the challenge. It required some strategy and was definitely a team event to strategize, not just a who could shoot all the targets, or who can miss fast enough.

3) I DVR all the shows, this one no exception, but watched the intro. Looks like they showed contestants using a 50 Cal (looked like an M107 maybe?), Shooting clays from the back of a moving truck and shooting targets while free-falling/on a zip line. Looks to be some awfully interesting shows.

4) Joe had a great quote, echoed by many here and by people on the show, that just because you can't throw a tomahawk you are being eliminated, even if you are a good shooter. It's a competition over a wide array of disciplines. There are plenty of guns/weapons systems they can use, I think the bow is somewhat of a stretch. Keep it to guns, please. I really don't want to get to the point seeing who can throw a rock the best to knock over a target, or swing a stick.

5) Jay coaching about being the "outcast" I actually kind of liked. It's funny to see how he went from the bad guy to a good guy.

6) The gun for the Elimination Challenge is a 1911 style. I'm guessing .45 because of the target's reaction. It has an extended magazine on it that sticks out a good inch below the frame, I'm guessing to hold 8 or 10, even when they only need 5 shots. Jay still used a cup-and-saucer grip, even with the ext. magazine.

7) Pretty sure Chris T. was close to losing a few toes when he didn't release the Tomahawk up close to the target and it landed right at his feet.

8) Again, none of the competitors were wearing eyes and ears for any of the challenges?!

The blue team never should have started blocking when they had the advantage in the team challenge. If instead of blocking, they had chosen the right square, they would have put themselves in a position where the red team had to block 2 or 3 different directions.

I've never thrown a tomahawk or "fired" a blow gun, but I can't see where eye or ear protection is needed. Do you work for OSHA?

Some comments:

1) I didn't really like the comment the expert said about Ashley. That because he looked most like a lumberjack he should throw the Tommy-Hawk the best? Huh? So if there was a samurai sword on Jay should be the best because he looks the most Asian? :ph34r:

2) Although the Tomahawk can be argued for it's use (it is a weapon, but it's Top SHOT, not Top-Master-of-all-things-lethal), I liked the challenge. It required some strategy and was definitely a team event to strategize, not just a who could shoot all the targets, or who can miss fast enough.

3) I DVR all the shows, this one no exception, but watched the intro. Looks like they showed contestants using a 50 Cal (looked like an M107 maybe?), Shooting clays from the back of a moving truck and shooting targets while free-falling/on a zip line. Looks to be some awfully interesting shows.

4) Joe had a great quote, echoed by many here and by people on the show, that just because you can't throw a tomahawk you are being eliminated, even if you are a good shooter. It's a competition over a wide array of disciplines. There are plenty of guns/weapons systems they can use, I think the bow is somewhat of a stretch. Keep it to guns, please. I really don't want to get to the point seeing who can throw a rock the best to knock over a target, or swing a stick.

5) Jay coaching about being the "outcast" I actually kind of liked. It's funny to see how he went from the bad guy to a good guy.

6) The gun for the Elimination Challenge is a 1911 style. I'm guessing .45 because of the target's reaction. It has an extended magazine on it that sticks out a good inch below the frame, I'm guessing to hold 8 or 10, even when they only need 5 shots. Jay still used a cup-and-saucer grip, even with the ext. magazine.

7) Pretty sure Chris T. was close to losing a few toes when he didn't release the Tomahawk up close to the target and it landed right at his feet.

8) Again, none of the competitors were wearing eyes and ears for any of the challenges?!

Ummm... eyes and ears? For throwing and blowing? My interest is almost gone for this show. Every week there's about 10 minutes of shooting, but this week had about 10 seconds of shooting (for elimination voting). Next episode does look good, but I'm sure they won't show enough. Watching it on DVR, it seems like the show is only 25 minutes or so.

A few observations:

Putting up the two people who did bad in a challenge is going to end up hurting Blue real fast. If they were smart, it would be about the overall contribution to the team. Chris and Brian Daryl may have messed up with the 'hawks, but they have both proven their worth to the team in the past - more so than others who have just squeaked by repeatedly. Even Red acknowledges this.

Chris appears to have followed the instructions about the use of eyes with the blowgun but was struggling with it. This may have been a case where he would have been better off pulling a Jay and trying it his own way. Of course, he may have in practice and it just wasn't in the final cut. It's clear that while their expert may have known how to use a blow gun, it didn't understand how pistols are shot. Right from the start, he was saying that you have to use two eyes with a blow gun rather than just one eye with a pistol. Chris doesn't use one eye, he uses both but has learned to focus on the right eye only. Trying to now switch to using both in a co-dominant matter had to be very difficult.

Brian Daryl seems to have taken charge of Blue, something he criticized Jay for doing. The strategy with the 'hawks was mainly his and it depended on him making that first (more difficult) shot. Confidence is good but when it missed, it had to shake the confidence of the entire team. With leadership comes greater responsibility and as a leader he should have chosen a first move that had an extremely high degree of probability. This smacks of arrogance and has hurt Blue team, perhaps irreparably.

This brings me back to my first point. It almost seemed that Brian Daryl wanted to get Chris into an elimination challenge on something he would be weak on to get rid of him. Chris was one of his most formidable opponents down the road and the sooner he was gone, the better chance there is for Brian Daryl to stay in till the end. It's just possible that his goal is to eliminate the stronger players even at the expense of his team. As long as he can stay out of the eliminations, he can afford to see his team lose.

Edited by Graham Smith

Some comments:

@ #3: Fear factor meets Top Shot :ph34r: That would be more interesting than trying to beat the other team at Connect 4 with an ax. Right before the commercial prior to the elimination challenge, they showed a clip of a dartboard. I didn't realize then that it was in the backyard of their house and thought the challenge was going to be DARTS. I wasn't too far off :P but had me disappointed during the commercial. I could think of SOOOOO many more qualified "weapons" to be on top shot than hatchets and blowguns. I have no problem with the bow and arrow's place on this show, the blowgun is a big stretch, but lets keep aiming and trigger squeeze a part of every challenge.

Insults and taunts at 30 paces!

:roflol: Now that's funny!

Edited by Erik S.

Maybe they should change the name of the show to "Top Throw" or maybe "Top Blow".

I am sick of seeing good shooters like Chris T getting eliminated by a lame ass challenge like tomahawks and blow guns. Seriously...I don't care that they were weapons of Ancient times. Could I do it? Probably not. But then again I am more interested in Firearms, at least that is what I am hoping for when I tune to a show like this.

I'll keep watching, especially after watching the previews for next week, but if I see a preview in the future that has anything like pugil sticks, slings, sharp objects being thrown by hand....basically anything without gunpowder/smokeless powder....I may just stop watching.

A few observations:

Putting up the two people who did bad in a challenge is going to end up hurting Blue real fast. If they were smart, it would be about the overall contribution to the team. Chris and Brian may have messed up with the 'hawks, but they have both proven their worth to the team in the past - more so than others who have just squeaked by repeatedly. Even Red acknowledges this.

Chris appears to have followed the instructions about the use of eyes with the blowgun but was struggling with it. This may have been a case where he would have been better off pulling a Jay and trying it his own way. Of course, he may have in practice and it just wasn't in the final cut. It's clear that while their expert may have known how to use a blow gun, it didn't understand how pistols are shot. Right from the start, he was saying that you have to use two eyes with a blow gun rather than just one eye with a pistol. Chris doesn't use one eye, he uses both but has learned to focus on the right eye only. Trying to now switch to using both in a co-dominant matter had to be very difficult.

Brian seems to have taken charge of Blue, something he criticized Jay for doing. The strategy with the 'hawks was mainly his and it depended on him making that first (more difficult) shot. Confidence is good but when it missed, it had to shake the confidence of the entire team. With leadership comes greater responsibility and as a leader he should have chosen a first move that had an extremely high degree of probability. This smacks of arrogance and has hurt Blue team, perhaps irreparably.

This brings me back to my first point. I almost seemed that Brian wanted to get Chris into an elimination challenge on something he would be weak on to get rid of him. Chris was one of his most formidable opponents down the road and the sooner he was gone, the better chance there is for Brian to stay in till the end. It's just possible that his goal is to eliminate the stronger players even at the expense of his team. As long as he can stay out of the eliminations, he can afford to see his team lose.

Good points. A little lost in translation since you're talking about the wrong guy I think. Brian is on the Red team (Gunny Zins), Daryl, who I think you're referring to is on the Blue team.

A few observations:

This brings me back to my first point. I almost seemed that Brian wanted to get Chris into an elimination challenge on something he would be weak on to get rid of him. Chris was one of his most formidable opponents down the road and the sooner he was gone, the better chance there is for Brian to stay in till the end. It's just possible that his goal is to eliminate the stronger players even at the expense of his team. As long as he can stay out of the eliminations, he can afford to see his team lose.

I think you are talking about Darryl. And, I agree. He seemed to want to get Chris into a challenge where he could be eliminated. This may be a valid personal strategy but I think it will come to haunt the blue team for the rest of the team challenges. It may keep Darryl or anyone else from competing against Chris but may put blue into the elimination challenges more often so the strategy may offset or even hurt them.

Something I noticed is that it appeared that Chris had no (or very little) interest in the blowgun elimination either learning it or getting better at it. I fully realize that this may have been a result of creative editing which we have seen before. But, if not then the elimination could very well have come down to who wanted it more rather than just who can learn quicker.

BTW, this should not be taken as a bag on Chris. I don't know him and don't blame him for getting eliminated at "blowgunning." I probably would not have learned it well enough to win either. He could have also been in this mindset because he was pissed that he got voted into elimination when he has made up for the rest of the team up until then. I can't blame him for that.

Chris

Something I noticed is that it appeared that Chris had no (or very little) interest

Wasn't this pointed out in the first episode? I don't know the guy just like I am sure millions don't. But he sure does a very good job of looking like he has no interest.

I would love to meet him and have a long talk about the show and find out that I am wrong.:cheers:

I wanted to see chris do well. That being said, this is an individual competition not a team one in the long run. For someone trying to win, sending Chris to an elimination challenge not involving a firearm is a good decision not a bad one......Chris is a great competitor and gave the guy a run anyway, but I would much rather compete against him out of his element than in some multigun run and gun in the finals.

Has anyone else noticed that the order the weapons and challenges are in seem to be where the person who should be strong in the NEXT challenge is given a weapon that they should not do well with? It looks like they have the order of the stages set up to try and eliminate a person right before they get to a weapon that they should do very well with.

The best example is the Bow and arrow one with Jay. The previous challenge was with Pistols and Jay was thought to not be as good shot as the others and the very next challenge was with a bow. The bow stage was right before a pistol stage that Maggie would have done well on. Then we get to Tomahawks and the next challenge is trick shots that Chris T probably would have done well on.

I may be wrong but in looking back on things, after the first challenge it seems to be set up that way. This is a contest to see who the person is that can use pretty much any weapon and not who can do something we already know they are good at. Designing the stages in a way to test them BEFORE they get to something they are known to be good at is a very smart idea. To be honest, if I were running it and really wanted to determine who the best "shot" was, that is how I would lay things out.

Edited by Classic_jon