Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 6

Has anyone else noticed that the order the weapons and challenges are in seem to be where the person who should be strong in the NEXT challenge is given a weapon that they should not do well with? It looks like they have the order of the stages set up to try and eliminate a person right before they get to a weapon that they should do very well with.

The best example is the Bow and arrow one with Jay. The previous challenge was with Pistols and Jay was thought to not be as good shot as the others and the very next challenge was with a bow. The bow stage was right before a pistol stage that Maggie would have done well on. Then we get to Tomahawks and the next challenge is trick shots that Chris T probably would have done well on.

I may be wrong but in looking back on things, after the first challenge it seems to be set up that way. This is a contest to see who the person is that can use pretty much any weapon and not who can do something we already know they are good at and designing the stages in a way to test them BEFORE they get to something they are known to be good at is a very smart idea. To be honest, if I were running it and really wanted to determine who the best "shot" was, that is how I would lay things out.

Some of that is just blind luck. They have no idea who is going to get voted into the challenge or who is going to win it and can't plan for anything.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed that the order the weapons and challenges are in seem to be where the person who should be strong in the NEXT challenge is given a weapon that they should not do well with? It looks like they have the order of the stages set up to try and eliminate a person right before they get to a weapon that they should do very well with.

The best example is the Bow and arrow one with Jay. The previous challenge was with Pistols and Jay was thought to not be as good shot as the others and the very next challenge was with a bow. The bow stage was right before a pistol stage that Maggie would have done well on. Then we get to Tomahawks and the next challenge is trick shots that Chris T probably would have done well on.

I may be wrong but in looking back on things, after the first challenge it seems to be set up that way. This is a contest to see who the person is that can use pretty much any weapon and not who can do something we already know they are good at and designing the stages in a way to test them BEFORE they get to something they are known to be good at is a very smart idea. To be honest, if I were running it and really wanted to determine who the best "shot" was, that is how I would lay things out.

Some of that is just blind luck. They have no idea who is going to get voted into the challenge or who is going to win it and can't plan for anything.

Agreed that some of it is luck and politics, no doubt there at all! But, you have to admit that IF that is what the plan is in the order of the challenges, the chances of a person going to elimination who will do well in the next challenge is a good deal higher. Again, I may be totally wrong but it is as good a guess as any, it makes sense to do things that way, and it raises the drama/stress level of things as well. I will be curious to see what the challenge is after the trick shot show to see if my theory still holds water or not, who knows my theory/guess could go down in flames. ;)

Side note, I bet that they are going to be missing Chris T the second they see the trick shots challenge :)

Edited by Classic_jon

Here is something else that just struck me. In some cases this year, the elimination challenge has been with the same weapon as the team challenge and in other cases it has been different. I'm not sure if one is preferable to the other. I cannot recall if there were any cases last year where the weapon was the same both times but I seem to recall that it was always something different.

I continue to be baffled at the respective selection processes for the challenges. Last season Denny never really pulled his weight, but he skated later in the competition because the team seemed intent on getting rid of the young guy that just kept winning the challenges.

While Kyle has been good in the last few team challenges and his one elimination challenge, he has been weaker than either Daryl or Chris T overall. Jay has performed when he had to do so, but he is probably the next weakest link on the blue team.

Edit to add:

I know a lot of the folks here are USPSA folks and where pulling for Chris T, but I had to pull for the Deputy Sheriff.

Edited by jlweems

Something I noticed is that it appeared that Chris had no (or very little) interest

Wasn't this pointed out in the first episode? I don't know the guy just like I am sure millions don't. But he sure does a very good job of looking like he has no interest.

I would love to meet him and have a long talk about the show and find out that I am wrong.:cheers:

Chris is so not interested he has won so many matches and Nationals I can't remember them. I've shot with Chris. That's his face. Believe me, he is real interested. If you see him shoot, you'll know he's interested. His demeanor and attitude is one that all good shooters have. Calm. Inscrutable. It's an admirable quality. The filming and editing of Top Shot bothers me, because it seems so surviviorish and I didn't watch that show after Rudi got kicked off in the first season. Top Shot is a misnomer. I want straight shooting and they want drama.

...Chris appears to have followed the instructions about the use of eyes with the blowgun but was struggling with it. This may have been a case where he would have been better off pulling a Jay and trying it his own way. Of course, he may have in practice and it just wasn't in the final cut. It's clear that while their expert may have known how to use a blow gun, it didn't understand how pistols are shot. Right from the start, he was saying that you have to use two eyes with a blow gun rather than just one eye with a pistol. Chris doesn't use one eye, he uses both but has learned to focus on the right eye only. Trying to now switch to using both in a co-dominant matter had to be very difficult...

I imagine it'd be pretty tough to go from years of training to deliberately suppress the image in the nondominant eye (so you can use the image from the eye in line with the bore axis of a firearm, IOW, the sights) to having to deliberately use both images to adjust to the fact that the bore axis of the blowgun is exactly between each eye.

If blowgunning becomes a competitive sport like IPSC, I predict an Open Division arms race where the latest kink will be literally that, a blowgun lined up with the aiming eye that has an offset mouthpiece. Holy unfair advantage, Batman! :lol:

Edited by kevin c

Lets face it, we make up a very small percentage of the viewing community. We have our favorites, and we know who can shoot in our crowd. But from what I can see, the producers want to have an interesting show....and from what I can tell so far they have. No doubt in my mind someone like Jerry Miculek would dominate this thing, but make him shoot a slingshot or skip stones across a pond at targets, there is going to be someone better/luckier. Thats what makes this show good in my opinion. It takes phenomenal shooters and puts them on the spot in situations that they are uncomfortable in. It's how a person performs in an unfamiliar situation that makes them special.

One last thought, if the higher seed always won in the March Madness bracket, how many of us would seriously still watch? Isn't that the reason we seem to watch Top Shot week after week?

Edited by KyroWebs

No doubt in my mind someone like Jerry Miculek would dominate this thing, but make him shoot a slingshot or skip stones across a pond at targets, there is going to be someone better/luckier.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Jerry was a GM at skipping rocks.

No doubt in my mind someone like Jerry Miculek would dominate this thing, but make him shoot a slingshot or skip stones across a pond at targets, there is going to be someone better/luckier.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Jerry was a GM at skipping rocks.

LOL, I actually had a hard time thinking of something that might be hard for JM :D

Edited by KyroWebs

This episode blew. :angry2:

Why tomahawks and blow guns? It's Top Shot, that means things you shoot, you don't shoot a tomahawk or a blow gun. You don't call the world champion tomahawk thrower a marksman. Come on Top Shot keep the show on subject, there are plenty of guns to pick from to keep it interesting. I'd be ok with muzzle loaders and air guns if you have to but not blow guns. If you want to have a "Top master with whatever you could use for a weapon any time in history" show start one.

I'm starting to think the producers don't want a top rated competitor to win this thing. I also know that being a top USPSA shooter only will not give you much of an edge in a well rounded shoot all kinds of guns situation.

I agree with every one about Jerry M, he would be awesome on this show, they could throw in alligator wrestling too and he'd win. The one guy who would be the absolute best is John Shaw, he can shoot anything extremely well and I guarantee they would be all the drama they could handle on the show. :roflol:

Taran would be my write in candidate, especially if they let him rant about the selection of movies available in the house.

Begs the question: would they bring in a competitor who has been on the show as an "expert" for an episode? I wonder if being selected as an expert for a given weapon/show puts you out of the running to compete on a later season? This thought is only here b/c it looks like he'll be on the show next week as an expert.

We all know that competitors can become experts in later seasons, but how bout the other way around? :sight:

Does anybody know if those tomahawks were making major or minor power factor?

Like many I'd like to see them stick to weapons that fire shots........old, older, oldest and NEW!

Taran would be my write in candidate, especially if they let him rant about the selection of movies available in the house.

I'm pretty sure Taran was on the short list for season one. I don't know if they didn't pick him or if he decided not to go.

Given the experience of some pretty high level IPSC shooters on Top Shot,and considering the risk of elimination that does not depend on shooting skill, the risk to professional and personal reputation, and the hugh time commitment, I have to applaud those who are willing to take this on, and don't at all blame those that don't.

The blue team's strategy was stupid. Go first hit the middle target so you can go either direction if you get blocked. Chris T. did screw the pooch with his one miss. If he hits that Jay is blowing darts. Oh well.

The blue team's strategy was stupid. Go first hit the middle target so you can go either direction if you get blocked. Chris T. did screw the pooch with his one miss. If he hits that Jay is blowing darts. Oh well.

yep against Kyle