Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm

LLDJR

Well, the Trojan and the Kimber Target II is what I a trying to decide between,, I want to shoot 4", 6" and 8" Steel at 25 yards... nothing fancy

I have a Kimber Custom II that I love and is very accurate for Steel Matches with 200 grain SWC.

Brazo says the Trojan, but I wonder if this is because they primarily sell the STI?

Any recomendations,, looks like I will spend a $1k either way.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who shoots the Kimber 9mm. I love my Kimber TLE .45, it's my favorite 1911 and also my least expensive, it's become my primary match gun. However the 9mm 1911 can be a finiky lady, and for some, a filthy who-er. So while I can't comment on the Kimber, I know a lot of guys with the Trojans, and they all run great. I think most of the guys are using either Dawson or Tripp mags. No direct experience, just my observation of others.

Just picked up a Trojan 9mm recently and so far I'm really impressed, runs great and is crazy accurate and well built. IMHO an STI is an upper echelon piece when compared to any Kimber I've ever seen or shot. Plus, no unnecessary FPB/Swartz nonsense. I really think that $1K buys you a lot more with the STI, fairer to compare a Trojan more to one of Kimber's upper teir guns, not a lower rung Target II anyways.

I'd say the biggest thing is you can just tell that someone cared and knew what they were doing when they put it together, it's fit oozes quality, runs like a clock out of the box, no BS break-in excuses.

Like was said, don't ignore the Spartan either...

Thanks guys, after reading about how finicky the 1911 9mm can be, I have really struggled on deciding which model to buy.

I will try to find a Trojan or Spartan here locally and fondle them some.

The plus to a 9mm Kimber is you can fit a .40 barrel. Kimber uses the same breech face for both. That being said I got a Spartan 9mm a couple of weeks ago. It has fed every bullet I have run through it. The feature I like best is the non-ramped barrel.

I bought a Trojan 9mm for my wife last year for single stack division, and for the money, I think its hard to beat. Very accurate, has been absolutely reliable, and great build-quality. And a full sized, steel frame 9mm 1911 is stupid fun to shoot.

I wouldn't steer you away from a Kimber, but the few that I have owned or been issued have not instilled me with too much confidence. But that's a very small sample size.

Don't forget the Springfield Loaded Target (Stainless). I has a ramped barrel and only costs a little more than the Spartan.

I don't like the Trojan frontstrap.

I have the Spartan 9mm myself. If I don't sell it to my ex-gf, I'm sending it to EGW to get checkered.

Brazo has some Trojan's, I will try to find one locally to get the feel and then order one.

I really don't want a Stainless gun, I don't know why, I guess it just looks heavy :roflol:

Just to have another 1911 that is not .45 and for my son to shoot, he is 13 years old

Interesting load! What is your bullet i.e SWC etc and how much powder grams?

Edited by LLDJR

Don't forget the Springfield Loaded Target (Stainless). I has a ramped barrel and only costs a little more than the Spartan.

That is what I was going to suggest. I have one - dropped it off at Clark's Custom Guns about a month ago and had it bead blasted and the front strap checkered at 25 LPI. I am very happy with it.

DSC_00395.JPG

You might want to look at Dawson Precision for the Trojan. Brazos no longer offers a reliability package. Brazos will do one hell of a trigger job.

Opt for the Aftec extractor, a 10lb recoil spring and either Wilson or Tripp mags and you should be good to go. The Wilson mags should really be labeled as 9rm mags instead of 10 since the window on the side of the mag shows full at 9rnds and you need to trim a coil or two off the spring to get them to seat reliably with 10rnds. The Wilsons are reliable and easy to find but my preference is for the Tripps. Ohh yah, and the finish on the Trojan sucks and will show holster wear with only a few draws.

Edit: Damn you Gman. This is the second post I've replied to where you've beaten me to the punch by a minute or two. :)

Edited by blind bat

Opt for the Aftec extractor, a 10lb recoil spring and either Wilson or Tripp mags and you should be good to go. The Wilson mags should really be labeled as 9rm mags instead of 10 since the window on the side of the mag shows full at 9rnds and you need to trim a coil or two off the spring to get them to seat reliably with 10rnds. The Wilsons are reliable and easy to find but my preference is for the Tripps. Ohh yah, and the finish on the Trojan sucks and will show holster wear with only a few draws.

I'm having no issue with using 10rds in my Wilson ETM mags with my Trojan, using a 9lb ISMI for 125-130pf stuff, and bought the Aftec too but haven't installed it (may not need to either as the gun runs great as is).

+1 on the finish though, I think it's kind of funny actually, everybody's blued Trojans end up looking like they've seen a few tours after only a couple months of use.

The only thing that really bothered me about the Trojan out-of-the-box was the weird-shaped cut-in-cornered beavertail-grip safety, had to change it to an Ed Brown as it was pretty uncomfortable for me (FYI the EB was almost a perfect drop-in fit) .

I'm not a Kimber fan in general, but my wife's 9mm Target II has run like a top with everything I've fed it. The only issue was with Wilson ETM mags hitting (and eventually snapping) the ejector, but otherwise I've been pleasantly surprised...