Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which state to move to?

I've decided I'm done dealing with winter and it's impact on shooting, driving, etc. Looking for ideas on where to move.

My criteria:

1. No snow, or very very little snow.

2. Shooting year round

3. Lots of USPSA and 3 gun clubs

4. Friendly gun laws.

So far I'm considering Georgia, Arizona, New Mexico, and Florida.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about North Carolina? Usually we get very little snow (this year has been a bit different). We shoot all year around. From Charlotte, I have USPSA shoots on the 1st Sat, 2nd Sat, 3rd Sat, 3rd Sunday, and 4th Sat within 45 minutes, another startup being discussed, and additional matches in the 90min to 3 hour range. Robbie Wheaton's 3-Gun in Greenville and the 3-Gun match at Walnut Grove are both about an hour away. Plus IDPA, SC, and ICORE. Raleigh also has a variety of matches surrounding it. Easy travel to SC, GA, FL, TN, and VA.

Gun laws are friendly in all but Cary. You apply for Handgun Permits form the Sheriff. I get 3 at a time with usually a 3 day turnaround. These are basically pre-approved background checks. Then you buy what you want. Rifles are through Instant Check. Supplies are openly purchased or mail-ordered. I just bought powder and primers today at the Hardware Store. CCW acts as a Handgun Permit. CCW is a 1 day class (NC rules are ... ... ...) and a simple shooting challenge, then $90 to the sheriff to have it processed again no problem. Class III is allowed in most counties (is in mine). Charlotte has 2 guns clubs and another 30 mins north.

The real trick is finding a job!

James

Georgia's cool because in addition to everything you listed, we have easy access to many neighboring states that expand our choices by a large margin. And when it's an event requiring air travel, we have a large airport nearby.

Washington state. Temperate weather. Excellent gun laws: we've had a shall-issue concealed carry permit since 1965. And we are a very rich area for action pistol shooting, with at least one match pretty much any weekend. I have been told the Renton, Washington club is actually one of the oldest "IPSC" clubs in the world.

I grew up in Tucson AZ. Was born and lived in New England for many years (Mass,Ct, and New Hampshire) and currently reside in Central Florida. I will always have a soft spot for, and would move back to Az in a heartbeat. This part of florida does offer a lot though and has many shooting opportunities as well as very pro-gun. There is something shooting related going on in Tampa, Orlando, or Hernando on any given weekend, from steel shooting to 3-gun. Pick a spot on the map in the middle of those areas and you will be good to go.

Really.. just for shooting?

Arizona.. as close to Mesa as you can (or can stand - lol) - 3 Gun and many big pistol matches, close to Vegas.. and now.. cheap housing. Summers can be brutal

The humidity in Florida June-> August would knock it off my list. Probably anything east of New Mexico for that matter.

If you fish (doesn't everyone?) - Washington would be compelling. Although they're not known for 3 Gun.

What about North Carolina? ...James

From my very limited experience, I would put the area I live down the list.

Phoenix would probably be #1, but I've never shot there. I've heard you could shoot two matches a weekend and never drive more than an hour to any one match.

Lots of good matches at Frostproof, but I'm not sure what other clubs there are in Central Florida.

Mark mentioned all of the good points about the Atlanta area.

Really.. just for shooting?

Arizona.. as close to Mesa as you can (or can stand - lol) - 3 Gun and many big pistol matches, close to Vegas.. and now.. cheap housing. Summers can be brutal

The humidity in Florida June-> August would knock it off my list. Probably anything east of New Mexico for that matter.

If you fish (doesn't everyone?) - Washington would be compelling. Although they're not known for 3 Gun.

Yep, mainly just for shooting. I enjoy shooting MUCH more than any hobby I've ever had, and it really sucks basically doing none for 3 months a year.

What about North Carolina? Usually we get very little snow (this year has been a bit different). We shoot all year around. From Charlotte, I have USPSA shoots on the 1st Sat, 2nd Sat, 3rd Sat, 3rd Sunday, and 4th Sat within 45 minutes, another startup being discussed, and additional matches in the 90min to 3 hour range. Robbie Wheaton's 3-Gun in Greenville and the 3-Gun match at Walnut Grove are both about an hour away. Plus IDPA, SC, and ICORE. Raleigh also has a variety of matches surrounding it. Easy travel to SC, GA, FL, TN, and VA.

Gun laws are friendly in all but Cary. You apply for Handgun Permits form the Sheriff. I get 3 at a time with usually a 3 day turnaround. These are basically pre-approved background checks. Then you buy what you want. Rifles are through Instant Check. Supplies are openly purchased or mail-ordered. I just bought powder and primers today at the Hardware Store. CCW acts as a Handgun Permit. CCW is a 1 day class (NC rules are ... ... ...) and a simple shooting challenge, then $90 to the sheriff to have it processed again no problem. Class III is allowed in most counties (is in mine). Charlotte has 2 guns clubs and another 30 mins north.

James

Whats up with Cary, I didn't know about gun restrictions?

Edited by KPIC24

James

What do you mean by "Class III is allowed in most counties"?

If a state doesn't have a full preemption statute, like Indiana, it's not even worth adding onto the list. Any state that allows local governments to restrict firearms is a potential problem.

If you're saying that your Sheriff won't sign off, that's not an issue because you can bypass that by using a trust.