Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who would you get build a limited?

matt t

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can wait 10-12 months then have SV build you one. If you don't want to wait that long then have one of the great gunsmiths on this sight help you. I personally build my own guns,my recent build I got some help from Freedom Gunworks on some slide lightning and a new finish and I must say they did a great job.

Good luck on your build :cheers:

5" or 6"? It matters as some of the top gunsmiths aren't making 6" guns.

Like I said in a similar thread on Open guns, I've owned, handled or shot guns from many/most of the top smiths out there now, and there isn't much difference in quality at that level...they're all pretty amazing. A lot of it comes down to whether they build the kind of gun you want/think you want, or cosmetics that appeal to you the most. For example, Virgil Tripp (hey, his name is in the middle of STI) builds outstanding guns, but he tends to be more conservative when it comes to cosmetics. Some folks like that approach, others like guns that have more angles and flash...just sort of what appeals to you. R,

If you're not worried about cost you're a lucky man! It shouldn't take too much research to see that there are a half dozen to a dozen names that pop up here with regularity and if you make it to many major matches, you'll hear the same names mixed in with local/regional smiths. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'd add Jim Anglin and Matt Cheely to the names already mentioned (my favorite guns are made by Jim Anglin, but a Cheely is on my want list), but you need to talk to a few of them and see whose ideas mesh best with your own. Like the G-man said they each take a different approach to excellence.

Bedell, Brazos, Benny or Tripp.

Pick one.

Yep, I'll add that I also have a Dawson gun from awhile back when he was building more "ground up" guns and it's awesome too. My Bedell Open blaster never fails to satisfy me in both looks and function....

Dan Bedell built my limited gun, which now has thousands of rounds through it. It still runs great. Many of my shooting buddies shoot Dan's guns and would tell you the same story. Check out his work on Velocityshooter.com. You wouldn't be disappointed with one of Dan's pistols. Hope this helps.

Dan Bedell built my limited gun, which now has thousands of rounds through it. It still runs great. Many of my shooting buddies shoot Dan's guns and would tell you the same story. Check out his work on Velocityshooter.com. You wouldn't be disappointed with one of Dan's pistols. Hope this helps.

+1 on a Bedell limited gun. Mine just flat out runs.

Jim Anglin built me and my dad guns last year. Dads is a 9mm major open, things runs awesome and is extremely accurate. My limited gun has been great, feeds everything is extremely accurate. It was going to be a back up to my Brazos but I have been shooting it as my main gun.