Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Desired 3-Gun Shotgun Brand

Blackfin2

Good evening to all,

Which 3-gun shotgun do you all prefer, Benelli M4, M2, FN or maybe one not listed. I want a fast shotgun, I have been shooting Benelli's for years. I m selling a camo M1 Super 90 duck gun so I can fund a new 3-gun special. WHich seems to be the most popular and why?

Thanks

Wayne

Good evening to all,

Which 3-gun shotgun do you all prefer, Benelli M4, M2, FN or maybe one not listed. I want a fast shotgun, I have been shooting Benelli's for years. I m selling a camo M1 Super 90 duck gun so I can fund a new 3-gun special. WHich seems to be the most popular and why?

Thanks

Wayne

Of what you listed if I had nothing I would buy an FN. Since you already have a M-1, I would buy a shorter barrel and use it rather than sell it and have to come up with about $400 or $500 difference to buy any of those you list. The M2 is the fastest of what you list but not faster than the M1 in a manner you can notice. The M2 and FN are softer than the M1 but who notices recoil in a match?

I just read some of the older posts, seems like a great number of competitors actually like the M1S90 over the M2. what do you all think the percentages are, M1 over M2 or M2 over M4?

Yeh , I know this could get crazy with opinions, but I would like to get a feel for it.. Either one, once I purchase , I will have the forcing cone lengthened and barrel back bored to improve shot density and recoil mitigation. Not sure if any of you have done this but it makes one hell of a difference in both, especially recoil reduction. I know that I get more than double the number of shot in a 24" circle at 20 yds with back bored barrel and nearly perfect shot coverage. it awesome. Birds have no chance out to 60 yds with my Black Eagle and Kent steel. WHich brings up another point, Kent is with out a doubt the cleanest shot shell you will ever shoot. Try it, its great, and also fantastic pricing on all load types from Macks Prairie WIngs (lead or steel).

Wayne

Which brings up a counter point:

Although I do admire the Plug for Kent, I had one of their shells have the brass part come off and left the rest of the plastic hull in the gun 3 rounds into a LARGE shotgun stage, which I effectivly zeroed, which in the end cost me a Championship. In England and Italy I saw this same failure from Kent on the English Standard Semi-Auto team....Guess it is clean because you can't shoot many; which I don't anymore due to this particular failure :roflol:

As for which is the most popular: Benelli, by a pretty fair margin, thought the FN is slowly catching up, and if Mossberg comes out with a 3-gun ready 930 for cheap (as is rumored), who knows.

As for which one performs the best: Hell, if there was a straight answer to that, then gun stores would only have to stock one brand. Seriously, there are too many shooter variables for a simple answer to that one.

Since you have so much time on the M1, I would have to think the M2 would make the most sense for you.

DanO

Travis Gibson gave someone this advise a while back and I think its pretty sound .

"Here's how you pick a shotgun. Find a make and model you like...buy three of them....keep the one that shoots and send the other two back."

I have shot 1100's for a long time but I don't put near as many rounds through them as some folks do . I like the way mine have shot and with the addition of a speed feed gate thinger wicker they are easy to reload . I have a couple friends with the FN's and they are very nice but the opening for feeding shells in seems really tiny width wise and I have noted most of the top guys have taken a dremel to the opening to make it easier to reload . I haven't got to try out a Benelli yet but know a few folks that have them and Love them , Travis being one of them .

Good evening to all,

Thanks

Wayne

My 3 gun shotgun is a camo M1 Super 90 duck gun with a 26 inch barrel.

Jay

I am happy with my 1100. I was happier with my old 1100 until someone stole it (from a match). I know that the Remington doesn't get too much love around here, but I have never had any problems with mine. I don't shoot it enough for that to happen, I suppose.

The FN/Winchester gets a lot of love, though.

I wouldn't want an imported shotgun of any kind, however, because I'd want the option of installing a pistol grip without dealing with 922r.

I concur with J. Schmitt and spd522, I believe my best option which turns out to be the least expensive is to run my dick gun as well. Mine is just like yours J.S., I "think" that is would like even more a little shorter than the 26:.I may even take the barrel back to the first rib stanchion and have it re-tubed at seminole gun works. t the very least I'll end up with a smokin' quail gun it it does not perform as expected. Then at some point get a back up M2. From reading 100's of posts the M2 is liked better than the M4. As well as I may be over planning, get back to the basics of having fun and shooting the hell out of the stages. Thats truly what its about. Thanks for the vetting guys.

Wayne

It may also be closed the fastest

So which is worse.. A newbie asking the same question that has been answered 50 times in previous threads or a Forum member pointing out this fact with a YouTube vid that he knows has clearly inappropriate content and violates the Forum rules.... :mellow:

Which brings up a counter point:

Although I do admire the Plug for Kent, I had one of their shells have the brass part come off and left the rest of the plastic hull in the gun 3 rounds into a LARGE shotgun stage, which I effectivly zeroed, which in the end cost me a Championship. In England and Italy I saw this same failure from Kent on the English Standard Semi-Auto team....Guess it is clean because you can't shoot many; which I don't anymore due to this particular failure :roflol:

And this is not uncommon. I've seen this occur 3 times in my professional work, as well as two hang fires, one of which the bolt was manually opened (yes too soon) by the shooter resulting in the shell going off with the bolt open and a lot of damage to the shooters face. Kent refused to acknowledge the defect.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a shotgun guy, they are my biggest shooting weakness, so grab some salt...

I used Remingtons for years, I really like Remington and that had a lot to do with my choices. I ran an 11-87, then an 11-87P then 2 different 1100s. I've shot (and loaded) all of the other models over the past year as I decided I really need to improve my shotgun skills. If we are just talking shooting, and nothing else, I still prefer the 1100. There are lots of aftermarket stocks, one of which fits me really well, and that helps a lot, especially with aerials. However, they do need maintenance, and I've tried running them "wet" and "dry" and have some ideas, but both have their issues. Plus, they basically lock open on every shot and that too creates some "wear" and "fragile" issues. I've run the 870 bolt and trigger group conversions and they DO help with the loading, but the gun becomes even more sensitive to fouling and VERY finicky about loads. I was essentially restricted to one load. I did run 3000 rounds through my main 1100 in 2010, and it never went down. I've also tried DMW, custom spoons, extended buttons, etc. and I just CAN NOT load any configuration of a Remington as fast, or with as much reliability, as the other shotguns. I had to increase my hand precision loading them which robs time. So, IMHO, the Auto-loading Remingtons are great for Open class.

The Benellis, for me, shooting on the clock were the slowest. They do load fast though. When I compared the Benelli to the Mossy 930, I did not see much of a difference, for shoot 8 and load 8 on the clock. There are definately some quality differences. Also, one of these companies is a US company and one is not. I used the Benelli for comparison sake, but personally, I would not buy one. The 930 needs too much done to them in "today's" available trim. If they get a quality, ready to roll 3 gun shotgun produced at a decent price point, I'll buy one just to support their effort.

For me, on the clock, I could load and shoot the FN SLP the fastest of any of the shotguns. It weighs about the same as the 1100 and the recoil is about the same, but I do think it cycles faster. The fit is not great for me, so I will have to work on the stock. But add a Nordic follower and bolt handle and you are pretty much done. The 3" gun offers a longer loading port which helps me with loading. The width issue does not seem to affect me, at least on the clock. As I get more rounds and practice, it might help. My weak hand load 4 from a shell caddie on the belt beat every other platfom by at least a second, and my bobble factor was greatly reduced. The quality is frankly better than anything else. They may, or may not, have a slight issue with pistons breaking, and they should have made a more durable piston, but my understanding is that they are working on something. That is all I can ask.

Shotguns seem to be a bit more "personal" choice than rifles, but we have less options and versions to choose from. I'm not sure there will ever again be the dominance in 3 gun that Benelli enjoyed for so long. A large majority of 3 gunners 5 years ago would have said Benelli, that does not seem to be the case anymore.

I hope we aren't becoming the ar15.com of practical shooting. A new guy asks some questions, if you don't want to help, move on. That was probably the most rude thing I've ever seen on this board. Blackfin2, please accept an appology on behalf of the rest of us that know better.

I hope we aren't becoming the ar15.com of practical shooting. A new guy asks some questions, if you don't want to help, move on. That was probably the most rude thing I've ever seen on this board. Blackfin2, please accept an appology on behalf of the rest of us that know better.

I tried to help and I don't think I was rude either.