Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having a wife that tries to understand the sport

RUSHARP2

I have been married for just about 1 1/2 years. We started with "OH, you own a gun. and you do what with it.". We then got to it was no big deal to own a gun, but the reloading was a little funny to her. Then she got to the point where she would refill my primer tubes for me. She attended the final day of a major match I worked this summer ( and did not care for the 38sc open guns). She then decided she would like to learn to shout . Lately, she has progressed to kicking me out of the house on the weekends so I can go shoot, as she knows I really enjoy it and it relieves a lot of stress (or she is tired of me, either way I win).

The reason for the post is last night, she happen to see a spreadsheet of my breaking down reloading cost. I don't reload 223 and was trying to figure out if it was worth the cost and hassle. I analysis everything ten times before getting into it. So she started asking questions about if I would need a whole new press or just dies (thinking back I should have said yes to the new press). I tried to explain it to her, but wanted to show her. To my surprise she followed me to my press and listened to the explanation of how the press works, and the parts. She watched me make a round of 40, and kept asking questions. She was actually trying to understand what I was doing and how it worked.

At the end, she didn't see the a problem with spending a little more to just buy the loaded ammo. But she also asked why I reload anything then if there only is a few cents per round savings, and when I said I match the ammo to the gun set up, she countered with then why wouldn't you do that with your AR.

So this is just a long post about how much I love and appreciate my wife. I am a better off having her in my life. And to all those fools that like to tell you your life is over when you get married, feel free to re-read the post.

Matt

Very cool!

My wife had never held or shot a gun when we met in 2005. She now has her CCW, enjoys shooting, and has "claimed" several of my guns as her own...lol. Luckily, she has no interest in shooting competitively...that could get expensive!

She did talk me into reloading 223. Back in GA, I only shot the AR occasionally in matches and nothing really long, so 1000 rounds of 55gr. would last a long time. Now that we are in TX, there is a monthly match, so 1k rounds might only last a couple of months (4 or so) and the local matches reach out to 500yds regularly. So I was thinking about buying 55gr for 150 and closer then 69gr for long stuff. She just said why not make both and gave me the nod to order it up. Plus I already run SR primers in my limited gun, so I wont need to order different primers.

I will be ordering the dies and conversion soon. Already stocked up on brass from range days and a buddy that doesn't reload. Time to pick a powder.

Now if she would only be this cool about either the Challenger or the loaded F150! I guess I will take what I can get.

while my gf has been pretty busy lately, she's helped me reload before i had my dillon. she would use my single stage press and size/decap all of my brass for me :). i got the dillon now so she just watches sometimes. but she is wanting to get into the sport a little bit herself... :unsure: this could get pricey...and i thought the ring was bad enough :roflol:

You know this can also swing farther than you expect :lol:

Let me tell you...It can get to the point where the wife is shooting more ammo than you can imagine.

You catch her on the phone ordering custom built race pistols :blink:

One morning you find she has two or three guns to your one :goof:

Strange charges appear on your credit card for Techwear, rifle scopes, shooting glasses :blink:

The venders on the forum all know her by name....bullet manufacturers send her Christmas cards :lol:

Keep in mind...a blazing inferno, can start with a tiny spark :wub:

Jim :D

You know this can also swing farther than you expect :lol:

Let me tell you...It can get to the point where the wife is shooting more ammo than you can imagine.

You catch her on the phone ordering custom built race pistols :blink:

One morning you find she has two or three guns to your one :goof:

Strange charges appear on your credit card for Techwear, rifle scopes, shooting glasses :blink:

The venders on the forum all know her by name....bullet manufacturers send her Christmas cards :lol:

Keep in mind...a blazing inferno, can start with a tiny spark :wub:

Jim :D

Now Jim, that sounds like a love letter to your better half. Good for you! (she is a sweetheart)

Merry Christmas my friend.

Patrick

Well Matt I wrote this really smartass funny response but since I am in the holiday spirit I will just say Merry Christmas.

Feel free... it would make me feel like I never left. Merry Christmas to you and Helen.

Matt

Go to Tiffany's online and buy her something!

Do not foget to send her flowers, especially at work. Women never forget when they got flowers and her co-workers will remember also.

She is enjoying the IPAD I bought her! Home cooked meals are her preferred as well. So when I can I make her favorites.

Lucky is an understatement.

Matt

That's awesome dood,

my gf is very understanding at supportive as well, unfortunately i destroyed any chances of getting her into the sport by pushing her to hard to soon...

you're a very lucky man, take care of her (not that you wouldn't :)).

cheers,

Los.

My wife, the best thing that ever happened to me, she's put up with a lot of pistols, reloading and supply's.

She'll even help with scoring at major local matches. Brought stuff to the range when I forgot something.

Fixed the spare bedroom for shooting friends when they come to town.

Plus she's put up with me for 32 years!

I am slowing luring my wife to the dark side. After years and years of horses she announced she would like to go to the range with me. I always tell her it's a stress relief. She now comments, during wintry days, your alittle cranky, you need to get to the range. Now she thinks it may be a stress relief for herself. You see, sometimes her wonderful horse(a mare)still tries to throw her and it's a long way to the ground.

I have been married for just about 1 1/2 years. We started with "OH, you own a gun. and you do what with it.". We then got to it was no big deal to own a gun, but the reloading was a little funny to her. Then she got to the point where she would refill my primer tubes for me. She attended the final day of a major match I worked this summer ( and did not care for the 38sc open guns). She then decided she would like to learn to shout . Lately, she has progressed to kicking me out of the house on the weekends so I can go shoot, as she knows I really enjoy it and it relieves a lot of stress (or she is tired of me, either way I win).

The reason for the post is last night, she happen to see a spreadsheet of my breaking down reloading cost. I don't reload 223 and was trying to figure out if it was worth the cost and hassle. I analysis everything ten times before getting into it. So she started asking questions about if I would need a whole new press or just dies (thinking back I should have said yes to the new press). I tried to explain it to her, but wanted to show her. To my surprise she followed me to my press and listened to the explanation of how the press works, and the parts. She watched me make a round of 40, and kept asking questions. She was actually trying to understand what I was doing and how it worked.

At the end, she didn't see the a problem with spending a little more to just buy the loaded ammo. But she also asked why I reload anything then if there only is a few cents per round savings, and when I said I match the ammo to the gun set up, she countered with then why wouldn't you do that with your AR.

So this is just a long post about how much I love and appreciate my wife. I am a better off having her in my life. And to all those fools that like to tell you your life is over when you get married, feel free to re-read the post.

Matt

I thought all women knew how to shout. I believe it's a thing they are born with! :roflol: Congrats! I'm still working on getting my wife of 16 years to shoot and understand. She doesn't mind me buying the guns and shooting (most of the time, when there isn't any work around the house to do!), but she has no interest in it herself what so ever.