Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold and USPS

So, considering the popularity of Montana Gold bullets, and the vast experience here, I thought I'd ask about this...

I don't know if it really requires a signature (since it is insured). I don't think they even tried to bring it to the door. Did they just punt, and leave it at the post office for pickup? Anyone work at the post office, or know their procedures? I wouldn't mind, but going to the post office is an extreme hassle for me, since I work 40 minutes in the opposite direction, and my work hours are not compatible with the post office. If I have to go pick them up every time, I'm going to start ordering 10k at a time, instead of 1k !!

We have a group neighborhood mailbox, with package lock boxes that are plenty big enough for the bullets.

Thanks!

post-985-019370500 1291788348_thumb.jpg

I have had same problem if it is insured it needs a signature. Manny USA is supposed to have very good prices on bullets. He is a vendor on the forums. His site say 6000 rnd order but have been told to call and can get smaller quantities, that will be my next purchase. Maybe call them and see if they will send it uninsured and driver should leave it at door. I do not know if post office workers have a maximum weight hey can hand carry or not. I think ups is max package weight is 50#. Good luck.

I am guessing maybe on the back it says your designated agent can pickup so someone could pickup for you. Again only guessing.

How did you get the sender and receiver names blocked out like that? May need to someday. Really neat.

The problem is this, it weighs 68 lbs. Even if you are at the house they will leave a note in your mail box claiming they tried to deliver it. When in fact my wife was at home and they did not want to deal with picking it up. When I went to the post office the next day I inquired as to why they did not knock on the door, they told me there was no one home at least that is what was in the notes.

That could also be the reason they do not leave it at the door. Ups has no problem leaving my starline brass

I had a similar issue the last time I ordered a case of MGs.

I knew when they were due to arrive, so I put a note in the mailbox for the delivery person saying to please bring the package to the door because I was home to sign for it.

She came to the door with the brown slip instead, saying the box was too heavy for her to put on the truck.

Make friends with your postal carrier. Mine is a slight woman and I don't expect her to muscle around a 70# box... its probably 2/3 her body weight.... but since making friends with her, she leaves her cell number in my mailbox and meets me on route when she has bullets and I'm not home. It took nothing more than a nice conversation to get her to be helpful.

Not sure if you are looking to see If the post office has a policy on this? My experience has been the same as listed previous and they have never attempted to deliver it. On a side note there was a case from MG that I picked up and I am not sure how it was still holding the bullets inside. That was my first impression that the PO does not appear to have any care or desire for heavy flat rate boxes!

The problem is this, it weighs 68 lbs. Even if you are at the house they will leave a note in your mail box claiming they tried to deliver it. When in fact my wife was at home and they did not want to deal with picking it up. When I went to the post office the next day I inquired as to why they did not knock on the door, they told me there was no one home at least that is what was in the notes.

That could also be the reason they do not leave it at the door. Ups has no problem leaving my starline brass

+1

Everytime I have recieved an order from MG, I have been home and my mail carrier never even stops at the house. I do not even think she puts the package in the car at the post office. I have complained, with no results. "If it fits it ships" does not neccessarily mean it makes it to your door. :blink:

The sad fact is that the carriers are human. Two different Post Offices around here do it completely different. I too would like them to deliver to my door like they are supposed to, but the fact is the carriers are either small women, or older men out of shape with bad backs. I gave them my cell phone and politely asked them to call me, as I would be happy to go get them. They really liked that and we get along famously now. When I am on days off, I need the bullets so I can be loading. A twenty minute trip is better than not having them at all....

DougC

Geez, what's wrong with you guys?? You actually EXPECT service?? A rare commodity indeed these days. However, the mail carrier on my route in Superior WI never failed to deliver my BBI orders to my door. Doubt they took much pleasure in it, tho as it was a struggle for me to get the package inside & down to the basement.

Call the postmaster at that post office and complain. They get paid to deliver the mail, not to have you come pick it up. I had the same problem. They left a note saying signature required, but when I got to the post office no signature was required, they just didn't want to deliver it.

I have my bullets shipped to work now, so it isn't a problem (plus it saves me $5 on the shipping charges.)

Call the postmaster at that post office and complain. They get paid to deliver the mail, not to have you come pick it up. I had the same problem. They left a note saying signature required, but when I got to the post office no signature was required, they just didn't want to deliver it.

I have my bullets shipped to work now, so it isn't a problem (plus it saves me $5 on the shipping charges.)

+1 on this. One would think they get paid to actually, you know, deliver the mail, but the reality is they don't want to deal with the package weight. If you don't get any results complaining at the local post office, move up the chain...it's a pain but it often gets results.

I have been ordering directly from MG for last 5 years, placed my last order with Manny (cheaper prices same bullet)via e-mail...only one case....he ALSO ships USPS but does NOT require a signature as I do not believe he has them insured.....for the first time in 5 years the mail carrier left them by the door.....for this reason I do not believe it is the postal service but rather the signature deal that prevents them from leaving...NOW, if someone is at home to sign for them they should leave at the house....

Randal

PS...my mail carrier is female, mid 40's and of slim build....she left them in one of the USPS baskets with handles which I returned to the post office when I was headed that way.

Edited by DrawandDuck

Over the past year the post office has always delivered to my house EXCEPT for my last order. The woman at the post office said it was insured and therefore required a signature so they couldn't leave if at my house. I wonder if MG has gotten burned by USPS lately and started insuring all of their packages.

On a side note, MG never charges me the $5 for shipping to my house (and I do mark the residential box).

I tried to pick it up this morning. They couldn't find it at first... had to wait 15 minutes.

Funny thing was, it wasn't very heavy (only 1k of 9mm). I could carry it in one hand.

They did make me sign, so it must have been the 'insurance' thing.

In my town,

I have watched the Pman stop & put the "pick slip" in my rural mailbox.

(and just last week for signature required!)

he never came to the door, I thought he was just sorting his mail, before he delivered!

for bullets, it is automatic, I will be picking them up...

I had to go to the PO the next day p/u.

It is the way it is...

for the cheaper cost, I think it is worth it.

I tried to pick it up this morning. They couldn't find it at first... had to wait 15 minutes.

Funny thing was, it wasn't very heavy (only 1k of 9mm). I could carry it in one hand.

They did make me sign, so it must have been the 'insurance' thing.

I think it was because of address confusion, the customer NAME/ADDRESS section looks like the Orange County Chopper emblem,

probably thought it should go to New York state.

I have to go sign for them.  My mail carrier isn't screwing me, it was insured and required a signature. The post office is close, so that's not a big deal. However, I won't say it went smoothly as the counter help seemed to be unable or unwilling to pick up the boxes from the floor in the storage area.

If my postal carrier is feeling spry, he has no problem delivering the MG package. If not, or if I ordered more than one box, he puts the slip in my box and doesn't even try. It's not a big deal to me... the post office is handy enough.

One time I suggested he just leave it on the curb next to the mailbox, if that's easier. He said wistfully that he wasn't allowed to do that. Either in the mailbox (which is small) or on my porch - nothing else.

Should they deliver them to the address on the label ? Yup, you betcha. Do they ? Obviously not. the last 3 cases I got from BBI, I actually went into the back of the P/O and got them myself at the request of the counter lady.

They will usually deliver them to my apartment, but the office ladies get nosy, so I ship them to a friend or relatives house, but then get them from the post office because the mail carrier there is an older lady who wont/cant load the boxes into the vehicle. Its fine.. I just order more than 1 case to make the trip worth it.