Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far away is your range?

BhmJeep

Practice range is right out the back door.

5 ranges with IDPA and/or USPSA and/or 3-gun monthly matches within an hour from me.

I have choices for every Saturday...and yes, I consider myself lucky.

Edited by WellArmedSheep

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Local range that hosts USPSA/IDPA once each per month (sometimes twice) is about 25min away from my house. That is also my practice range and has all the rifle distances I need. If I feel like a little solitude, I can set up my own stage at a shooting spot I know out in the desert that's about 20min away but can only shoot out to 100 yards, so no good for rifle. Nice and flat for run and gun pistol stuff, though.

Additional range about 1hr away in a neighboring city that has USPSA/IDAP also once or twice a month but haven't been to those matches yet. Their range is really nice since it's a Rod and Gun club. My local range is just a public, free range, but a nice one for being free.

I also consider myself lucky as many others have said.

My "home range" = 10 mins

My secondary range = 20 mins

My "If I really really need a range and the others are closed" range = 30, 45, and 90 mins, indoor and outdoor.

I can shoot USPSA matches every weekend if I wanted to at 5 different clubs within 90 mins of home.

Closest is 10 mins, twice a month

Next is 20 mins away, once a month

Next is 30 mins away, twice a month, different days than the first club (sat as opposed to sun)

Next is 45 mins away, once a month

Next is 90 mins away, once a month USPSA, once a month Steel challenge

I tend to stick to the closest one and occasionally visit the others :)

You'd think there wouldn't be that many where I live... the bummer is, there used to be more..

Indoor is about 5 minutes, 10 with heavy traffic. Outdoor is about 15 minutes. We hold matches at both, but unless we are shooting some form of a match at the indoor range we are not allowed to draw from a holster, shoot cross lane, or shoot while in front of the shooting benches.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215676497836113693119.00049deb74ce7f881730f&t=h&z=10

These are the ranges I use, but I only shoot USPSA at the outdoor ones. Up to six matches a month outdoors, which means I spend more days shooting than visiting my girlfriend in California :mellow: (just realized this).

Outdoor ranges:

RSSC - 33 miles, 45 minutes (each way)

Ben Avery - 33 miles, 45 minutes

PRGC - 28 miles, 50 minutes

Occasional indoor ranges:

SGG - 6 miles, 15 minutes (USPSA starts too early to make it there after work on week days so I just shoot informally with some friends)

SW - 30 miles, 40 minutes (doesn't have a USPSA league, but I go every other month with the same friends)

Indoor/no draw/static/stay in lane range is about 30 minutes and kind of pricey. I don't go there.

Outdoor range that let's me do what I want is about 80 minutes away. I'd shoot a lot more if I had a similar range that was closer.

Edited by Leozinho