Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far away is your range?

BhmJeep

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes to my practice range if there's no traffic. They also run USPSA and IDPA once a month.

15 minutes to the monthly indoor IDPA match.

35 minutes to one monthly USPSA match

About an hour to another few USPSA and IDPA clubs

A few more within 90 minutes.

I shot six matches this month and the further I drove was about 85 miles.

20 minutes to Desert Sportsman where there is a match every weekend USPSA/IDPA/Steel

15 minutes to American Shooters (indoor) weekly USPSA/Pistol+Carbine

20 minutes to the practice range in Boulder with monthly 3 gun matches

• 2 weeks later...

My indoor range is 10min by foot.

And the outdoor one about the same by car :)

Matches on the other hand are pretty spread out.

I'm a new shooter and have yet to shoot a match, but the closest ones will be (exept those my club arrange)about 125-200miles.

I find it strange, yet somewhat understandable. The more gun friendly a state in many instances the fewer official ranges and the less competitions. Obviously there are exceptions. Where there are more people and more restrictions we need to be more organized in order to have a place to shoot. As an example, here in the PR of NJ, we have between USPSA, IDPA and Steel at least 12 matches a month! Add in eastern PA and the number reaches a point where you have to select where you will and won't be shooting on any given weekend. As for ranges, I belong to 3 clubs in NJ and one in PA. From near to far 20 minutes from home or about 5 from work (I really need to practice on my lunch break!), about 30-45 minutes depending on what time and what day you are traveling, about one hour and about 1-1/2 hours.

Matches range from 20 minutes for IDPA up to about 2 hours for the furthest regular non-special circumstances match. There are an additional half dozen matches that can be reached in 3-5 hours.

As for ranges. it boggles my mind just how many ranges there are within say 2 hours for Central NJ. Eastern PA, much more friendly than NJ you can give directions that sound like this. Drive down XX Road, pass two gun clubs and make a right, go three gun clubs, hand a left and enter the second gun club on the left!.

NJ isn't that good, but we have probably a couple dozen clubs with ranges. Some are strictly Bullseye type, some are strictly Shotgun, others are more multi-purpose and hold a considerable number of different matches every month.

Local Club Matches Are about 25 miles away. But others I travel 2-3 hours one way for (IN)

Practice I currently make the journey all the way to IN to my dads practice range and then fit in a local match on the Sunday before leaving. (See Above)

Me and my dauther will travel 200 miles one way saturday for USPSA. It's a little easer going that far when two of us are getting something out of all that gas being burned

Edited by kellymc