Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 17 mag capacity

jmurch

I did do a search on this and know this info is here somewhere but I sure can't find it.............

What do I need to do to 'clean up' my G17/4 mags to load more than 16 rounds. Or am I just imagining that I've read about this and 16 is all I'll get?

TIA, Jeff

You should get 17 rounds in the hi-cap mags. Your spring might be to stiff,try using the mag loader.

Also,once you get 17rnds in, leave it fully loaded for a couple days so the mag spring will take a set.

Edited by Roy Hess

• 1 month later...

You should never load your Glock Mag to full capacity. Always down load it one round.

Totally untrue. At work we've issued multiple thousands of Glocks, and require that the magazines be fully loaded....hasn't caused any problems yet. I've got some training mags that were kept loaded to full capacity for over a decade, and they still work fine on the original springs. For duty use, we'll swap them out maybe every five years, or if they're really chewed up, but that's just being conservative. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

You should never load your Glock Mag to full capacity. Always down load it one round.

I've been loading my Glock mags to 17 rounds for, oh, 20 years without a single problem. Just what sort of hideous problem is "never" loading a Glock mag to the capacity it was designed to accept supposed to avoid?

Totally untrue.

Yes! No matter what Vickers and Hackathorn say. I have 2 original NFML Glock mags with original springs that have been fully loaded for 20 years (minus about 5 minutes to shoot and reload). I shoot the mags out once a year and reload. I've worn out springs on mags that have been cycled thousands of times however. Glock magazines springs don't have any "compression" set and are creep resistant.

Edited by MarkCO

For the OP, you should be able to get 17 rounds new from the factory, but you might have to use the loader. There could be a piece of flash (plastic) in the body interior or on the follower blocking something. I have also seen badly bulged cases result in the reduction of 1 round on Glock hi-caps as well, but I'll assume that is not your case.

Edited by MarkCO

I disagree, I fill my magazine to capacity put one in the chamber and top my magazine off.

17+1 in a G17. I keep many magazines loaded to the max and never had a problem.

Many LEA's require the magazines topped off.

I first heard of this during my Southeast Asia experience with the old M-16 magazines. It was probably based on the reasoning that because the aluminum 20 round mags were orginally designed as throwaways, the springs were crappy. As was some of the ammo, and as were the most horrigle item ever foisted on our troops. I am referring Vietnam-era jungle boots.

I did do a search on this and know this info is here somewhere but I sure can't find it.............

What do I need to do to 'clean up' my G17/4 mags to load more than 16 rounds. Or am I just imagining that I've read about this and 16 is all I'll get?

TIA, Jeff

So what happened? Did you get this problem fixed?

Yes, I see that the front/bottom of the slide is considerably larger. I knew that. But the front of the dustcover has been scalloped out to contain that, so the overall size of the front of the guns when they're assembled should be the same - or so close as to make no different with most (though apparently not all, in your case) holsters. How about photos of the fronts of the two guns actually assembled?

Listen up,

Just because you have been doing something for years doesn't mean it's right. I have taken several Advanced Glock Armorer Courses and this is what they teach Police Personnel. If you think you know better, good luck with that. What's the name of Glenn Becks book?

Stay Safe

Listen up,

Just because you have been doing something for years doesn't mean it's right. I have taken several Advanced Glock Armorer Courses and this is what they teach Police Personnel. If you think you know better, good luck with that. What's the name of Glenn Becks book?

Stay Safe

In many LEO classes they teach you to top off the magazine after loading one in the chamber. :rolleyes:

Edited by JBP55

Well, I don’t consider the stuff that comes from the armorers courses to be gospel. They say very little oil on just a few parts and never grease and I find that to be bogus. Try running a gun for 1-2k rds without cleaning like a lot of us do with just those few dabs of oil. Hopefully your trigger bar doesn’t seize to the connector. I think this downloaded mag thing is a bit bogus too. Perhaps 1 out of 40 (random number) mags can’t run properly topped off so they play conservative and tell everyone to download their mags just in case. But if you have mags that you’ve validated will run with a full 17rds I don’t see why there would be any problem using them.

Maybe they teach that to leo’s because downloaded mags are easier to seat. My limited .40 mags can hold 20 but they’re difficult to reload so I only put 19 in the reload mags so I get consistent seating.

Listen up,

Stay Safe

I go with what I know, and another Glock school grad above stated to fill it up. Working in health care has made me very pessimistic of the so called "experts", I have trained some of the people who are now "educators", they don't know half of what i do based on experience, this is no different.

Listen up,

Stay Safe

There are those who go to school for an education, and those who go to the field. Shoot 10's of thosands of rounds through a glock, you will learn the do's and don'ts. I fill the mags full, even the ones with ext pads, and I practice seating them. I have found, there will be times when you need to reload to a 20 rd mag, so you better have it in your bag.