Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case lube removal

I usually just load them up and tumble the live rounds till its off

Two quick questions:

1. how long do you tumble to get the lube off?

2. after you've lubed the brass, how long can

you wait and still have the brasss lubed?

That is, if I lube up a 1,000 cases today,

will they still be lubed tomorrow?

Thanks, just starting to lube for the first time

Jack

I usually just load them up and tumble the live rounds till its off

Two quick questions:

1. how long do you tumble to get the lube off?

2. after you've lubed the brass, how long can

you wait and still have the brasss lubed?

That is, if I lube up a 1,000 cases today,

will they still be lubed tomorrow?

Thanks, just starting to lube for the first time

Jack

Depends on the lube you use. I use One Shot and it is still slick a couple of weeks later. Not quite as slick but in no way gummy from sitting. My experience with lubes that are comprised of lanolin thinned with alcohol is when the alcohol dries off the lanolin gets gummy.

I tumble loaded rounds for 10 minutes or so. Don't need to tumble any longer as they come out shiny and slick.

Pat

I just leave it on. It never seemed like a good idea to me to tumble live rounds. And if you load hollow points the media gets in the center, just don't see the benefit, you don't need that much lube anyways.

I use One Shot and I just leave it on. No problems...

Later,

Chuck

Same here. I also use ACE hardware brand pure silicone spray. Either one if used properly(i.e. not too much)leaves little to no residue on my ammo.

As posted in other threads one of the best ways to use one shot, silicone, whatever, is spray a small blast into a gallon ziploc bag, dump in a few hundred cases(9mm) and shake or knead until well mixed. The cases should not be anywhere near "wet" when they come out of the bag. If they do you are wasting lube.

FWIW, in my experience the silicone spray is as good as one shot for about a 4th of the cost. I have noticed one shot slightly beats out silicone if using a U-die. But they are both still easy on the arm.

I just leave it on. It never seemed like a good idea to me to tumble live rounds. And if you load hollow points the media gets in the center, just don't see the benefit, you don't need that much lube anyways.

I tumble mine in corn cob media. The 5 gallon bucket that Sportsman's Warehouse sells is a small enough diameter that it doesn't get stuck in hollow points.:cheers:

Pat

After loading I tumble in corn media + a little polish + 2tsb of mineral spirits. I buy very fine media from Grainger that doesn't stick in the hollow points. 20 minutes gets the lube off and 45 or so can puts a nice polish on the case.

I've tumbled thousands of rounds w/o any issues.

Just a quick question for those out there that are smarter than me (and that means pretty much everyone.....)

Does tumbling loaded rounds do anything to the powder coating (like break it down)? And more importantly, if it does, does that change the properties of the powder (burn rate)? If you are loading right up to pressure limits, could that change cause bad juju?

Not stating an opinion (or representing anything above as a fact), just asking a question. I honestly don't know.

Just a quick question for those out there that are smarter than me (and that means pretty much everyone.....)

Does tumbling loaded rounds do anything to the powder coating (like break it down)? And more importantly, if it does, does that change the properties of the powder (burn rate)? If you are loading right up to pressure limits, could that change cause bad juju?

Not stating an opinion (or representing anything above as a fact), just asking a question. I honestly don't know.

That's how the factories do it.

If you leave them in long enough, that could be true.

Later,

Chuck

Same here. I also use ACE hardware brand pure silicone spray. Either one if used properly(i.e. not too much)leaves little to no residue on my ammo.

As posted in other threads one of the best ways to use one shot, silicone, whatever, is spray a small blast into a gallon ziploc bag, dump in a few hundred cases(9mm) and shake or knead until well mixed. The cases should not be anywhere near "wet" when they come out of the bag. If they do you are wasting lube.

FWIW, in my experience the silicone spray is as good as one shot for about a 4th of the cost. I have noticed one shot slightly beats out silicone if using a U-die. But they are both still easy on the arm.

Damn Sarge, you been looking over my shoulder? I use a pure silicone spray from Lowe's, spray on a rag or paper towel, put it in a ziplock bag with the brass, give a good shake for 5 minutes, then load. No tumbling...I thought I was the only one doing this, and didn't want to raise any flags.....

Case lube residue does not need to be removed in my experience...........so why would I go to the extra time and effort?

The only downside is it sticks to finger tips after loading a bunch of rounds into mags......but it wipes off with a little effort.

Silicone spray: I used to use this to lube up 22LR rounds so they would feed smoothly in my "ultimate cliploader."

But.......soon I was experiencing a lot of dud 22lLR rounds. Seems the silicone wasted no time squeezing between the bullet and case, and "neutralizing" the cartridge powder.

But I have never applied silicone to center-fire rounds.

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

Case lube residue does not need to be removed in my experience...........so why would I go to the extra time and effort?

The only downside is it sticks to finger tips after loading a bunch of rounds into mags......but it wipes off with a little effort.

Silicone spray: I used to use this to lube up 22LR rounds so they would feed smoothly in my "ultimate cliploader."

But.......soon I was experiencing a lot of dud 22lLR rounds. Seems the silicone wasted no time squeezing between the bullet and case, and "neutralizing" the cartridge powder.

But I have never applied silicone to center-fire rounds.

BB

I use silicone spray as a case lube and for lubing 22lr for use in my UCL and have never had any problems, maybe you just had a bunch of bad 22 rounds?

I don't remove the lube from my loaded rounds either.

That's how the factories do it.

If you leave them in long enough, that could be true.

On my N320 (an extruded stick powder) major 40 loads, I noticed a slight increase in SD on chrono'ing loads that were tumbled, but the average velocities really didn't vary much with versus without tumbling. No pressure signs, but, the load wasn't that extreme to start off with.

Now I used Benos's towel method instead of tumbling loaded rounds - it's a lot faster, and doesn't get me the occasional hassle of media jammed in the hollowpoint. My solvent of choice is denatured alcohol.

Later,

Chuck

Damn Sarge, you been looking over my shoulder? I use a pure silicone spray from Lowe's, spray on a rag or paper towel, put it in a ziplock bag with the brass, give a good shake for 5 minutes, then load. No tumbling...I thought I was the only one doing this, and didn't want to raise any flags.....

Do you guys use silicone spray on both rifle and pistol brass?

I currently only load pistol. But I have used silicone on several thousand of those with no ill effects.

I may give this a shot. I use a silicon rag on my competition reloads anyway to help with feeding - per Max Michel's suggestion- so in this case I can just leave it on without tumbling it off like I would Oneshot. I would imagine it would work just as well for rifle but who knows....Grumpy any experience with silicone spray on rifle brass?