Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how many people here are sponsered poll

cali shot doc

I wasn't able to edit my original post to add this:

I realize that some (many) people reading this thread may question my ability to pick up brass for the other members of my Team. You are probably right, because the other Team Infinity guys are awesome. Many of them are Champions and I realize that.

Even though that might be the case, I can say that SV Infinity has been extremely generous with their time and resources to help me with my firearm needs and reloading components. I am very proud to be associated with them.

I was a big fan of their products before I owned one. Without question, I will be a loyal Infinity owner for the rest of my shooting and law enforcement career :cheers:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I readily admit it is a very minor sponsorship- jersey, free club membership. I bet that I work more hours for it than would equal minimum wage.

Since 99.999999% of my shooting is paid for my me, does that mean I am sponsored by AT&T?

Edited by Steven Cline

as was asked earlier is this something that you proposed to the companys or them to u? do you have to be a master shooter or grandmaster? i have seen people wearing this fancy shirts with names all over them and still come in below top 5 and sometimes top 10??

Fancy shirts are sometimes part of the game. If you are going to buy one from Techwear for $120 anyway, why not wear one from Techwear that you can get for $60, or even free, that has a company's logo on it. Especially if you buy the vast majority of your stuff from them and really like the company. If you shoot enough bigger matches you will see shirts with real estate companies, etc on them. They probably buy the guys shirts for them and maybe pay a match fee just to get their name out there.

As for guys wearing fancy shirts and not placing near the top in a match. It is my experience that teams consist of shooters who are of good character, who promote the sport, who promote their products, who represent the team well, both on and off the range, etc.

One of the bigger teams out there has two distinct parts, a shooting team which is made up of the ass kickers and another team that is made up of lower echelon troops such as B and C class who are simply getting the product represented at as many local matches as is practical. If that gets them good deals on their supplies, gun work, etc then that seems like a win win for everybody.

as was asked earlier is this something that you proposed to the companys or them to u? do you have to be a master shooter or grandmaster? i have seen people wearing this fancy shirts with names all over them and still come in below top 5 and sometimes top 10??

Every company is going to be different, and as with being employed with every company, everyone's roles are different. With the companies that our team represents, a majority of us are exactly that, representatives for the company. We definitely have some world class athlete's on our team, but most of us, we are folks you will most likely see at matches, local and major, not just shooting through with the RO's and skipping awards only to be seen in the results. Every sponsorship program will be different, and ours is definitely different than the traditional. It's obviously done really well, because there are many teams like it now.

Simply wearing a shirt does not ensure you will win the match, other people may put folks like that on the pedastal, but that's definitely not the case. Don't get too wrapped up in what "fancy" things other people wear or shoot.

I am in the process of filling out and vetting shooters for a National IDPA team for our sponsors, and I can tell you that the winning aspect is just one of many things I look for in a shooter. I have bypassed winning shooters, for shooters I know that will represent our companies with integrity and respect. Simply being a winning shooter is like simply being a fast shooter. If you don't have the "rest of the package", you become useless.

As for How, most folks, you will have to contact them, and pitch yourself, and everyone's criteria will be different for what they are looking for. But when you become Robbie, Doug, Jessie or Dave, they will come looking for you.

that makes good sense i guess lol.

Being "sponsored" today has a different meaning than it did 10 years ago (5 years ago even).

When a top-level athlete ENDORSES a product, people take notice. The company, in turn, compensates that shooter. Forming a herd of average shooters into a tribe of walking-talking billboards isn't the same thing. :cheers:

Being "sponsored" today has a different meaning than it did 10 years ago (5 years ago even).

When a top-level athlete ENDORSES a product, people take notice. The company, in turn, compensates that shooter. Forming a herd of average shooters into a tribe of walking-talking billboards isn't the same thing. :cheers:

Yes and no. I do agree that sponsorship is different but I think it is more just a matter of potential audience. On a personal note, I don't trust the claims of a person who uses a product because they are paid too as much as the claims of a person who gets a little help from a company whose product they choose to use.

Just my $.025

J-Ho

Times have changed, and any company that do not wish to adapt those changes usually lose out. Our economic climate has also changed in the 5 years as well. From a business owners stand point, it's much easier for most of them to support a larger group, of lesser accomplished shooters than to cater just to one. I don't know a single company that wouldn't benefit from a larger footprint, shooting companies are no different. As a consumer I would benefit much more from having folks available to me to answer my questions, because most of time I know what I want to buy, I just need a little help.

Ask anyone outside of the shooting community who Jessie Abbatte or Doug Koenig is and they'll probably look at you with deer in headlights look.

And really, how often are peoples decisions dictated solely on the person sponsoring said product. My last TV purchase had much more to do with what "I" needed, and what was available to "me". Dave Sevigney and Max Michel are two shooters I would love to emulate and view as my shooting idols, yet I don't own a Sig, nor a Glock. In the end I appreciate the companies that assist these shooters to being all they can be, and for the support to our sport.

There seems to be 4 types of folks with regards to this subject:

1. Bravo, good for you.

2. Meh, that should be me.

3. I don't care for it, but I don't think anyone else should also have it.

4. I don't really care.

Whenever I am compelled to ask "why", my rational thinking brings me back to the fact that it's just human nature.

Your right it is different. Now you don't have one guy to look at and never talk to. You have a bunch of guys that you can actually talk to at a match about the product they are using.

Last time I checked I was loosely sponsored by She Who Holds The Checkbook, otherwise know as WIFE, Inc. Keep trying to get Little Debbie Snackcakes and the Pillsbury Doughboy as sponsors but not having any luck yet!

BTW, those who work hard enough to get the attention on sponsors deserve what few perks they can get from them.

Who is going to sponsor a 62 year old guy that can't run, can't see, is hard of hearing and whatever. I enjoy shooting and will continue to do so. I have accepted a free tee shirt from a shooting related company, if that counts. When will the devoted shooters get their just reward? Bshooter.

I got me a fancy shirt from a guy for free, plus I'm pretty sure he'd help me out in anyway he could. I also think that after some shoots, he shakes his head and wonders about the decision. :surprise::surprise: I got news for him, he ain't getting the shirt back, he's stuck with me! He wouldn't know who to pick on if he didn't have me!!!! Well, maybe it would make Joe's life harder, he's got a shirt from him too and Joe's easy to pick on.

Who is going to sponsor a 62 year old guy that can't run, can't see, is hard of hearing and whatever. I enjoy shooting and will continue to do so. I have accepted a free tee shirt from a shooting related company, if that counts. When will the devoted shooters get their just reward? Bshooter.

You might actually be surprised. I have seen shirts with all kinds of sponsors on them. Medical clinics, Real estate companies, financial advisors, etc..

I'm not sponsored but I would like to be. Not the full time job type of sponsorship, just the discounts kind.

I do have a serious question to those who are doing the sponsoring though - Are you just wanting to have your name on the shirt of good shooters or are you looking for a salesman for your product?

I can honestly tell you that I have only had one guy slow down and talk to me about the benefits of the product and the company that he was sponsored by. That was a Rudy Project sponsored shooter. He told me how they are scratch resistant, about the warranty, and about how they helped him see better. He even went so far as to pull out an extra pair from his bag and insist that I wear them the rest of the match. Rudy Project got their money's worth out of that guy that day. So many times the shooters at the highest level, the ones sponsored by S&W, Glock, Sig, etc show up, shoot a match, collect their winnings and hit the door.

I am a salesman for a living and I can tell you that if I was sponsoring a shooter at that level (giving him guns, paying entry fees, etc) he/she would have a booth set up and would be doing meet and greets and actually talking about the benefits of my product. That is the point, is it not? I mean, we have all bought some product just because we saw _______ shooting/using it, but how many more products would we buy if we had a chance to talk to that SPONSORED shooter and he/she told us why and how it helped them shoot better.

I would rather have a "C" shooter who could AND WOULD SELL my product than a "GM" wearing the product and not taking the time to talk to anyone or even try to sell the product. I don't have a product or service and I'm not sponsoring anyone so I guess it doesn't really matter what I think.

I did buy my own techwear shirt, and if anybody wants to buy me my next one, I will certainly do my best to promote your product or service.

Edited by latech15

I would rather have a "C" shooter who could AND WOULD SELL my product than a "GM" who just looks like a spoiled brat wearing the product and not taking the time to talk to anyone or even try to sell the product. I don't have a product or service and I'm not sponsoring anyone so I guess it doesn't really matter what I think.

Don't take this the wrong way, but comments such as that will go a long way in NOT getting you sponsored. I myself was a Rudy shooter at one time. They put a LOT of stock in the kind of person you are, not just how well you shoot. I'm a C class shooter but they were interested in me because I was a promoter of their products. My interview even mentioned that I was very positive in my interaction with others on these forums. They liked that I did not bad mouth people, vendors or products.

This is in no way intended to upset you. I am meerly pointing out that potential sponsors are always on the lookout for good, positive salespeople. Somebody said it best the other day. This is a very small community. A potential sponsor could be reading this thread as we speak.:)

So many times the shooters at the highest level, the ones sponsored by S&W, Glock, Sig, etc show up, shoot a match, collect their winnings and hit the door.

I don't believe that is true at all. Most of the shooters that I am aware of that shoot for the companies you mentioned are willing, and do, go the extra mile.

So many times the shooters at the highest level, the ones sponsored by S&W, Glock, Sig, etc show up, shoot a match, collect their winnings and hit the door.

I don't believe that is true at all. Most of the shooters that I am aware of that shoot for the companies you mentioned are willing, and do, go the extra mile.

Absolutely true for the majority. I can't count the number of times I've had one of the "big names" go out of their way to say hi to me, a nobody, while walking stages, or seen them answer questions about their guns, equipment, ammo etc, during a match. Sure, that's not going to be everybody, but the overwhelming majority seem to be decent, outgoing people who just happen to be incredibly talented shooters. R,

I have to say the few top end shooters I have had the chance to meet have been friendly and willing to help me shoot better. At a recent 3-gun match I watched a shooter who took first place in his division actually pass up the big prize on the table and left it for someone else. That really left an impression on me. The more people I meet in this sport (especially sponsored ones) the more I realize they are usually looking more to better the sport and help people out than anything else. Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't run into any of the "I'm too good to acknowledge you" type. I see it all the time in other sports.

Edited by Mattog22

I would very much agree with Flex. The problem at times is one guy only has so much time or exposure at a match, whereas 20-30 people can send that message much more effectively by not only being available but spreading out regionally/across squad schedules/matches etc.

Edited by smokshwn

I can only speak from experience. I was sitting right behind two (major company) sponsored shooters at a match a month ago and watched them do exactly that. Walk back from the stage with their checks and after their picture was taken, gather their stuff, and leave at the beginning of the awards ceremony. It was right up front and was very obvious that they weren't interested in staying after they had their checks. Maybe they had to catch a flight, maybe they had a 10 hour drive ahead of them, maybe there is a logical explanation. The scene just left an impression on me.

Sarge, I wasn't offended by your comments in the least. Thank you for them. I do however, stand behind my comment. I think that your comments simply reiterated the point that I was trying to make. "C" class SELLERS are better than "GM"'s who don't sell. I will retract my statement about calling them brats. Point taken, but the sentiment is still the same. I do believe that there are some shooters out there who will see Joe Blow shooting with a JoeBlowCo holster and go buy it just because they saw him use it. I do also believe that if that shooter had a booth or a table set up on the day that they weren't shooting, and stood around and talked to shooters and told them why his JoeBlowCo holster made him faster, the JoeBlowCo holster company would sell more holsters. Max Michel almost had me convinced that I needed to buy a Sig at the Tulsa Pro AM, one of the Rudy guys DID convince me that I needed a pair of their glasses.

As for the other guys and their positive experiences, I have had them too. Manny Bragg, Mike Seeklander, Jerry Miculek, Kay Miculek, Max Michel, Blake Miguez, Phil Strader, and Randi Rogers, and I am sure there are more, have all taken the time to talk to me and were very pleasant. I guess it is just a case of one or two bad experiences tainting my opinion.

I can only speak from experience. I was sitting right behind two (major company) sponsored shooters at a match a month ago and watched them do exactly that. Walk back from the stage with their checks and after their picture was taken, gather their stuff, and leave at the beginning of the awards ceremony. It was right up front and was very obvious that they weren't interested in staying after they had their checks. Maybe they had to catch a flight, maybe they had a 10 hour drive ahead of them, maybe there is a logical explanation. The scene just left an impression on me.

Sarge, I wasn't offended by your comments in the least. Thank you for them. I do however, stand behind my comment. I think that your comments simply reiterated the point that I was trying to make. "C" class SELLERS are better than "GM"'s who don't sell. I will retract my statement about calling them brats. Point taken, but the sentiment is still the same. I do believe that there are some shooters out there who will see Joe Blow shooting with a JoeBlowCo holster and go buy it just because they saw him use it. I do also believe that if that shooter had a booth or a table set up on the day that they weren't shooting, and stood around and talked to shooters and told them why his JoeBlowCo holster made him faster, the JoeBlowCo holster company would sell more holsters. Max Michel almost had me convinced that I needed to buy a Sig at the Tulsa Pro AM, one of the Rudy guys DID convince me that I needed a pair of their glasses.

As for the other guys and their positive experiences, I have had them too. Manny Bragg, Mike Seeklander, Jerry Miculek, Kay Miculek, Max Michel, Blake Miguez, Phil Strader, and Randi Rogers, and I am sure there are more, have all taken the time to talk to me and were very pleasant. I guess it is just a case of one or two bad experiences tainting my opinion.

Also realize that there is only a handful that actually shoot/promote as their job, I would say around 10-15 shooters IF THAT. The rest of us have day jobs to get back to. Most of these matches that your talking about are far away from home and we have to get back to our homes to get ready for work the next day. So yeah once we get what ever it is we earned we have to scoot to get home on time to things taken care of for the other side of our lives. Sure during the match or while I'm there I'll talk to whom ever about what ever it is you have questions about but when the match is done....well I've got to get back to the world that pays the bills.

C class sellers better than GM sellers???

I guess it depends on the product. I think someone like Rudy will be well served with a C class shooter or whatever. We all have eyes and we all know if the glasses are sturdy and the lenses are great, and I or anyone else would give a C shooters opinion as much weight as a GM.

However when it comes to gun builders and or some equipment, you can't expect a C or even a B class shooter to see what a GM does and therefore I believe a manufacture like that should think twice about sponsoring a shooter of that skill level.