Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competition holster do you use and why?

GrumpyOne

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Limited - Safariland 012 in red. Bought it in 1998 when they were the state of the art. It's a very quick holster with great adjust-ability. That said, I don't think it will ever pass the "sumersault" test.

Production - Bladetech DOH. Holds my CZ Shadow securely and allows for a quick draw. I probably would have bought a Blackhawk non-serpa, but they don't make one for the CZ.

I shoot limited and use a Höppner und Schumann Speedsec 5. I can't imagine the gun being any easier to draw. In the beginning it jammed, but I think I was the problem. After having to teach a newbie to draw I noticed how she had problems because she tilted the gun sideways when drawing. I must have made the same mistake myself....

• 1 month later...

Back when I first began shooting and competing 1986 - 1990 I wore Ernie Hill Speed Leather and I had a couple of extra Safariland mag pouches. Now here it is 21 years later and I am beginning to compete again. First thing I did was look to see what was out there...OMG...all this stripped down plastic every where!!! So, I dug out some old Ernie Hill leather speed holsters, mag pouches, etc.

Most of the guys on here have never seen leather speed gear in competition. I'll dazzle 'em and confuse 'em with all of my leather! LOL

Yeah, I might be old school but tried and true is ALWAYS in fashion! :)

GONZO!!!

Edited by GONZO!!!

• 1 year later...

I was using a Uncle Mikes paddle holster on a belt that I put over my pants belt. It was okay until I ordered a "Ready Tactical" 3 gun holster. WOW, what a BIG difference. It holds the gun in securely but it comes out SO easily when I am drawing. Extremely fast and a durable design. Plus, Chris at CPWSA is awesome at customer service. :cheers:

recently picked up a race master for a recently aquired CZ tactical sport.

prior to the RM, i had a bladetech DOH and a blackhawk serpa.

definite a major upgrade though possibly too many adjustments. :)

Just picked up a DAA Racer holster, functions the same as the Racemaster but it's cheaper and offers a wider adjustment range while only giving up the aluminum body and ability to swap inserts.

Great if your limited/open rig are the same weapons platform.

• 2 months later...

I have been using a Bladetech DHO w/o the DHO in production. In limited I am going to try the same set up. Seems right to me to use the same thing. Muscle memory or whatever you want to call it. The limited may change later but for now I will use the same set up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last month got a Safariland 014 and an ELS belt - haven't used it a whole lot yet only one match, one live fire practice, and some dry firing...but so far I like it.

Here are my observations so far, time will tell if they are correct: It is definitely made well with the main parts being aluminum, it uses a simple lock mechanism and when locked the gun is one with the holster, unlocked it is still pretty secure as the gun needs to go "up" before it will be released and there is a knob tension adjustment if you want more draw resistance, the initial set up was pretty simple, and the angle adjustment ball and elevation track lock in super tight. What sold me on the 014 is that it can handle several different gun types without buying any extra inserts or difficult adjustments. Not that it matters these days but it would definitely pass the old holster retention tests in the locked position, and it might pass in the unlocked mode with the tension adjustment knob tightened up some - it wouldn't pass without the tension adjustment being tightened.