Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What were you first classified as?

Wik

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot a 6 stage classifier in March and was just barely in D class in Production. Shot 2 club matches in May and moved up to C. In IDPA started as an ESP novice, made ESP/MM, switched to SSP/MM, got a match bump to SS at Maine states last fall. My most recent classifier was about 6 seconds shy of SSP/EX.

If you place 1st (and sometimes 2nd) in class at a major match, with enough GMs in your division and shoot into the next class (based on the classifier percentage system) you may be moved up in class. For instance, if you look at Single stack, there were a few "Ms" that got moved to GM due to their placement at SS Nationals.

Example, Voight, USPSA# RD4 shot the 09 SSN at 98.4% and was moved to GM from M. However, his SS percentage never made it to the 95%. That is a match bump.

Edited by MarkCO

Shot my first classifier earlier this year and squeaked into C (Production). As an educator, I'm just glad USPSA doesn't have a plus/minus system. If they did, they would have had to put two minuses after that C. :)

I had a couple initial bad classifiers so I started as D in Limited. About the time I was was going to make C via classifiers, I got a match bump to C. That was cool. :devil:

What is a match bump?

Specifically I placed second in Limited, D class with a overall hit factor for the match of ~51% (mid "C" class). I had shot enough classifiers above 40% that on the next months classification update I would have gone "C". :rolleyes:

Started in D class and spent 2 years there. Worked very hard up to B class in Limited. lots of dryfire and practice and an excellent class from Manny!

Got my Open gun and practiced alot...mostly dryfire. After 4 classifiers I was B class. Then it took 1.5 years to actually compete in B class.

My open gun broke last week (cracked slide) so I'm back to limited for a couple of months! Have to see how that goes!

I remember starting in "C" class myself!! I finished 4th from last in my 1st area championship, awwwww, the memories!!! kewl part was I got to shoot with Jethro "da Jet" Dianesio, and watched Jerry Barnhart mow thru some plate racks, and me telling myself... I can do that... of course it actually took 10 more years before I could do it at that speed, but It seems like only yesterday!!

My first USPSA match was a classifier. Classified D in L-10. I'll start shooting Production with this weekend's match, not sure if I'll compete enough to get a classification in Production this year, but I think spreading the classifiers over several matches will give me more time to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

My first classification was a C in production, in 2006. I had been shooting pistols for about a year, maybe 10-15 range outings. Most of my "technique" lol was learned from this book: Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight by Andy Stanford (Paperback - July 1, 2001), prior to reading that book I did not know that the modern iso or thumbs forward grip existed :rolleyes:, I was bladed shooting weaver and thinking that I was doing pretty darn good :roflol: :roflol: . Then I picked up brian's book and learned ALOT more. I had been trying really hard to make it out of C over the past 4 years but until this year training and deployments have always gotten in the way of my practicing. On the upside though, when I went to local matches when I was stationed in NC there were A LOT of great shooters that were terrific about giving me pointers to improve my performance and understand the game.

This is my first full year practicing consistently with the same gun without interruptions and FINALLY all my scores are in to USPSA to move up, so I should make B once the August classifiers post. Once I am officially a B I will be very proud as I've worked hard for it :D. I had made a promise to myself to shoot my Glock 34 in production until I made M, we'll see if I can hold true to that as recently as I am learning more about the rest of the USPSA world I've been tempted to give a .40 cal Glock a try in limited / limited 10 ;).

CAZ