APEX M&P Competition Spring Kit

fiddler

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just installed the sear spring & trigger return spring last night, decided not to fiddle with the striker spring.

It definitely lightens the pull significantly, but on the downside also lightens the return/reset which is weak to begin with IMO. I dry fired it quite a bit between last night and this morning and really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on it. I'm hoping to get out for some live fire Wed or Thu so I'll have a better feel for it then.

Installation is easy as long as you have a set of precision tweezers/pliers to manipulate and position the sear sprign and plunger.

I've had the whole package installed on mine for maybe a month now and put pretty close to 800rnds through it since. It is surprisingly a bit lighter, specially if you already had all the other APEX parts put in with just the stock springs, but after a day or 2 at the range the gun will feel normal to you. Everyone I've handed my gun too so far has loved it and surprised its not a "real" trigger job.

I have the entire kit in my M&P 9L and it is quite a bit different. The reset is not near as strong as I prefer so I will have make a few tweaks to get that more positive. The break is nice and crisp with no wiggle like you get from some glock triggers. If anyone has advice on how to get a little more positive reset back into the trigger Iwould appreciate the help.

I got to try a friend's gun with the whole Apex kit in it and side-by-side with my Pro that just has the Apex sear, modified FPB and spring, it's definitely better. I'm ordering the spring kit...it's worth it. R,

Very interesting.....I have the sear and USB installed and am 100% satisfied. I didn't go digging to see if Randy has made a video on the install of these parts. I'm guessing it's a bit more tedious than the sear and USB install?

I went back to the stock trigger spring with everything else from the Apex kit installed. It is much better now. I feel a little more considtency in the pull with a "pull your finger back" reset. It is not quit like a Vanek Glock reset but better

Very interesting.....I have the sear and USB installed and am 100% satisfied. I didn't go digging to see if Randy has made a video on the install of these parts. I'm guessing it's a bit more tedious than the sear and USB install?

I don't see how it could be all that hard. The trigger return spring can be a bit of a pain, but even that isn't bad. R,

Jim Shepherd did a write up about it in his Shooting Wire email this last week. He claims to be mechanically disinclined but went slow and had NO issues. He was absolutely up beat about the unit...

(BTW Shooting Wire is one of a set of emails that list different headlines and press releases in the shooting industry every week.... definately worth the FREE cost :closedeyes: sign up today...)

Anyone get any light strikes with this spring kit with factory ammo?

I've only maybe run one mag full of factory ammo through mine, but, it ran that fine.

I've been tempted to order one of these for my M&P. What would be your recommendation: Sear, spring kit, or the whole action enhancement kit?

I would say to get the whole kit and be done with it, :cheers:

I purchased all the components and have, over time, installed each starting with the sear, then USB, and lastly the spring kit. It's been a really interesting progression. With respect to what I liked the most, it was the USB. The trigger just smoothed out tremendously and it was a night and day difference. The sear made the trigger pull easier. The spring kit really reduced the pull needed but the jury's still out concerning whether I like it or not. Going to try shooting with it for 500 rounds or so before I decide its fate. I like a more positive reset and there's something that just irks me. Not sure what it is yet since I've only dry fired the gun (until tomorrow).

Great upgrades in my opinion. Last thing lacking is something to reduce the initial take-up that feels longer than a foot compared to my Glock 34

Only reservation I have, I can sent MP to S&W performance center for an action package for $105. Seems to me for about the same price it would be better to let manufacturer do it?

Granted I don't know anyone who has had an of this performance center work done?

Only reservation I have, I can sent MP to S&W performance center for an action package for $105. Seems to me for about the same price it would be better to let manufacturer do it?

Granted I don't know anyone who has had an of this performance center work done?

I had the performance center do their action package on my M&P45 and have the apex sear in my M&P 9. I think the apex sear is better than the performance center package. The feel is about the same for both, but the apex sear gives a lighter pull. Also you will have to pay to ship your M&P both to and from smith so the price will be closer to $175.

Edited by hockeyfighter25

• 2 weeks later...

I have the entire kit in my M&P 9L and it is quite a bit different. The reset is not near as strong as I prefer so I will have make a few tweaks to get that more positive. The break is nice and crisp with no wiggle like you get from some glock triggers. If anyone has advice on how to get a little more positive reset back into the trigger Iwould appreciate the help.

I don't know if this has been dealt with here, but you can give the M&P a more positive reset by gently (very gently) bending the trigger bar towards the sear. Keep in mind we're talking millimeters here, but the change is noticeable.

Anyone get any light strikes with this spring kit with factory ammo?

Before I put the Apex parts in I have had light primer strikes with most of my M&Ps. They usually didn't start showing up until after 5K+ rounds (one went over 30K). I started putting the extra power striker springs in all of mine. With the Apex seer the extra power striker spring isn't noticeable.

BTW, I don't replace the trigger spring or the seer spring, just the FPB spring with the Apex (lighter) one and the striker spring with the extra power one from SSS.

I compared the Apex competition striker spring to the stock spring. Apex felt (subjective) like it was a slightly lighter weight spring, but it was a full 4 coils longer. Trigger pull was not effected either way when installing it. Clipping 4 coils to equal the length, dropped 1/4lb. No light strikes.

I also compared the modified spring to a light Glock striker spring. That spring was WAY lighter and dropped the trigger pull another 1/2 lb. There have been issues with light strikes and the light Glock striker springs (in Glocks) so I never planned to use it, just to compare it.

I can't get the same feel with the Apex sear that I can with a modified stock sear.