Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX M&P Competition Spring Kit

fiddler

I wanted to revisit this since my opinion has changed. I don't know if there has been a change in the sears since I first tested them but the complete kits I've worked with recently have been very good. Still takes some work, to get it right and to function but the parts are good. I haven't tried the RAM yet, I just tweak a little to get a positive reset feel. I will try one eventually.

I did 3 last week and after I was done all three were just over 2lbs. I wouldn't call them drop in parts, but they are good parts for the job. Like EGW trigger parts. Good parts to do a good trigger job, just not drop in.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to revisit this since my opinion has changed. I don't know if there has been a change in the sears since I first tested them but the complete kits I've worked with recently have been very good. Still takes some work, to get it right and to function but the parts are good. I haven't tried the RAM yet, I just tweak a little to get a positive reset feel. I will try one eventually.

I did 3 last week and after I was done all three were just over 2lbs. I wouldn't call them drop in parts, but they are good parts for the job. Like EGW trigger parts. Good parts to do a good trigger job, just not drop in.

I've now had the Competition AEK in my M&P9 for a couple of months. I had just bought the gun prior to the installation so the whole thing has been a huge adjustment for me. Nevertheless, using Randy's videos made the installation straight-forward, if not easy. Actually I can't blame Apex for me not listening to the warnings about the small parts. I am certainly no armorer but had I not dropped a few of the parts it would have been an easy installation.

As it stands now, the gun is amazing. I shot the best match of my short USPSA career a few weeks ago and I am simply delighted with the pistol. Everyone who shoots it is very impressed. For $99 it was one hell of a deal.

William

Really? I pulled out the parts and put the replacements back in...that's the idea of a drop-in kit. I did no honing, polishing, finishing, etc. My trigger weight dropped more than half (from 4.8 to 2.3 lbs with the USB installed) and smoothness is remarkable.

What did you have to do for your install to say it is not a "drop-in kit"? Thanks

Just dropping the parts in, the sear would not drop enough to release the striker. The lobe on the trigger bar isn't tall enough. Just opening it up causes other issues, like the trigger not stopping on the over-travel (inside trigger guard). Then there is the reset, although not related to Apex parts but I tweak in just enough tension for a solid reset feel. Too much causes trigger return issues with the lighter trigger spring. I love working on these though.

I ordered a FRE too, but ended up just reshaping the stock one. Couldn't wait for the part to come in. No more FTE's.

Just dropping the parts in, the sear would not drop enough to release the striker. The lobe on the trigger bar isn't tall enough. Just opening it up causes other issues, like the trigger not stopping on the over-travel (inside trigger guard). Then there is the reset, although not related to Apex parts but I tweak in just enough tension for a solid reset feel. Too much causes trigger return issues with the lighter trigger spring. I love working on these though.

I ordered a FRE too, but ended up just reshaping the stock one. Couldn't wait for the part to come in. No more FTE's.

Sounds like your trigger loop was either crushed down or you have a gun that's a bit off. Were you using a 45 model or a standard model (9,40,357)? If you had called us in the shop about that, I'd have sent you a 45 sear to give you enough over travel to make it work properly.

Scott

Sounds like your trigger loop was either crushed down or you have a gun that's a bit off. Were you using a 45 model or a standard model (9,40,357)? If you had called us in the shop about that, I'd have sent you a 45 sear to give you enough over travel to make it work properly.

Scott

...And this is why I love these guys :)

Well I've had my kit installed for a little while now and though I haven't shot a match with it yet (winter in Montana) I can definitely say it has taken my shooting up a notch. I noticed a big difference with the very first shot I fired with the new springs. The break was a complete surprise and I hit the target dead on. My shot calling has become much more consistent.

It is well worth the price and the small amount of work to get it installed.

Edited by fiddler

My wife and I each have an M&P and I have done the complete kit, Sear, Striker, Springs and RAM and give them all a thumbs up.

The Sear reduced the trigger pull but it takes the Striker Block to smooth out all the grittiness in the pull. The springs took the trigger even lighter and the RAM gives a loud click when the trigger resets.

I found the parts to be drop in, and rather easy to install, just watch out for dropping any small parts. My rear sight required a pusher to get it to move (to install the Striker Block) but my wife's did not.

Money well spent, no downtime and a dramatically improved trigger,

Mike

My wife and I each have an M&P and I have done the complete kit, Sear, Striker, Springs and RAM and give them all a thumbs up.

The Sear reduced the trigger pull but it takes the Striker Block to smooth out all the grittiness in the pull. The springs took the trigger even lighter and the RAM gives a loud click when the trigger resets.

I found the parts to be drop in, and rather easy to install, just watch out for dropping any small parts. My rear sight required a pusher to get it to move (to install the Striker Block) but my wife's did not.

Money well spent, no downtime and a dramatically improved trigger,

Mike

Thank You Mike.

Scott

The loops did look shorter than usual. It was fairly easy to rectify for a good trigger pull. Thanks for the support.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Got some great info from you guys. I've been shooting limited since I started shooting IPSC and yesterday was my second time shooting in a local match as production. I didn't really had a heck of a time since with all the gazzilions of light strikes. Figured it was the SR primers because once I switched to factory ammo it ran 100%. Ill give the apex a try and with extra power firing pin spring. Thanks.

I realize I sound like a broken record on this but I just can't say enough good about the Comp AEK. I shot it the last two months at an area match and came in second then first. My accuracy is now better than ever and I am having a ball. I outlined the current status of the pistol here: http://firearms4u.net/?p=566 Since that post I shot the December match, which is the one I won.

Apex: thank you guys, from the bottom of my...mag!

William Daugherty

This is my first post on this forum. I got my M&P pro on Thursday, and on Friday my Apex Comp AEK and RAM came in the mail. I installed 1/2 of it on Friday night and then the rest this afternoon after a cold match in the morning (shooting CDP with another gun, not SSP with my M&P). The installation was not "easy," but it wasn't too difficult either. The Apex videos are crucial since the parts come with no instructions. The trigger pull and reset are enormously improved with this kit. Really amazing. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. I'm out at the range on Tuesday to test it and will give a report after that.

• 2 months later...

The new trigger and Sear were unveiled at Shot Show, you can see the reaction videos on youtube.

The parts are not available yet, we're working on getting the triggers made. Mid spring is our best guess for release at this time.

Scott

I just came across this thread. I pickec up an M&P9L as a back up for 3 Gun and also to host a Silencer Co 9mm Osprey suppressor.

I installed the Comp AEK and RAM (no gunsmithing experience except for a couple AR lowers and one upper I've built)

I watched the youtube videos and if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Once of the things that I noticed compared to my Glock 34 is that there is more forward travel of the trigger before it resets compared to the glock. Is there any way to shorten this reset distance safely?

I'm having Springer Precision put my slide on a diet and I can't wait to see how it shoots when I get it back.