Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HI,

I'll most likely be in the market for a vehicle in the near future. The Mini Cooper always has my attention when I see one :wub:

I know they're pricy & small (which can be good & bad). We test drove one today in both automatic & 6-speed turbo charged. I really liked it.

I want to ask:

Does anyone here either own one, or know someone who does that can make honest recommendations/opinions on it?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs Cheely,

My boss drives one. He loves it and recommended to anyone wanting one to get the more powerful one. His is an S. He did get sticker shock recently when he bought tires for it. The mini does not have a spare tire so it uses run flats. They were, GULP, $350 each! I think as far as small cars go they are about as cool as you can get. Good luck.

Mr Sanders :P

Hello: We had a 2005 Mini Copper S that was supercharged. It was a great car and did great on fuel. very tight car even after 60,000 miles. I drove it at some Porsche Club track DE's and it was great. The brakes held up all day and I even drove it 3 hours home. I did modify the exhaust and airbox to give it a little more power. I would not bother with the non S model at all. There are other brands of run flats that are alot cheaper. Look at Tire Rack and Discount tire online. The reason we sold it was our boys are getting bigger and I will soon need a Dodge Mega Cab :roflol: Thanks, Eric

The reason we sold it was our boys are getting bigger and I will soon need a Dodge Mega Cab :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Talk about a swing of the pendulum!! :surprise:

Can't you fit a mini cooper inside a mega cab? I think the mega's come with their own zip code. or that may be an option.. :P

Gloria, I've had a bunch of them in the shop, but only for general maintenence. Everyone seems to love them. There are plenty of less expensive run flat tire options although they're still not 89 dollars.

Drivetrain seems pretty stout and the brake wear is better than average. I do think they are cool little cars, they just don't fit me.

I think if you're someone who enjoys driving, a Mini is a great car. A good friend had one, and I got to drive it a fair bit. I actually ordered one a few years back, but at the last minute the dealer tried to screw me over and the deal fell through. I got my deposit back, but since they were the only Mini dealer within a 2 hour drive I had to give up that dream - even if I bought one somewhere else, I'd probably be going there for service and I won't give those crooks a dime. In all, I think they're great cars. They get good mileage, they handle great, and they're really not crazy expensive (as European cars go, anyway).

Cool chic car. Emphases on chic. ;)

Test drove the S model years back. Tremendous fun.

But when I climbed out of the car back at the dealership,

I had an irresistible urge to "go get my nails done".

Bolted across the street and bought our Ford pick up. We love

our truck...but I still hate my nails.

My wife had a 2003 Cooper S and loved every minute of it. She just said to me that she thinks of buying another one every day. We ended up selling it because she got into showing dogs and our three big guys just didn't fit. We were surprised at how much we were able to sell it for when the time came. A guy from Chicago drove over to Detroit and was happy because he couldn't find any in Chicago in our price range. I'm 6'1" and had head room to spare in it. The seats were comfortable for sports seats. My wife took it out on the track a couple of times and I'm happy to report she never passed me in my BMW and I never passed her so there were no hurt feelings. Never had any mechanical issues. Maintenance was included for the first 3 years which was awesome.

If you are at all concerned about performance then don't even consider not getting an S. We got a non S auto for a loaner once and it was a total dog. Blech! If you are buying new in Michigan, buying from Motor City Mini was a good experience. I don't know how it is now but back then the Mini was still pretty new and they were always sending us cool stuff in the mail and giving freebies out. We got free movie tickets to see The Italian Job because of the heavy Mini use in the movie. The parking lot that night was filled with Minis and when the movie let out they were all driving like crazy people. Very funny.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Wow...I didn't think I'd get so many positive comments. Looking at the reviews, it seems like a pretty good buy.

We did notice quite a difference in the regular model & the S model, & am leaning towards the S.

wurm: we did go to Motor City Mini...they had a great selection!

I spent a weekend taking turns driving an s with a friend of mine. It's his wife's car. We drove that thing hard, and it was a really fun car to drive. I don't see, really the chick factor where cars are concerned. Around here, the lifted, supercharged, 4x4s you see are just as likely to be driven by a pant wearing , hat wearing, short haired LADY with a dip in her mouth. Or her girlfriend. ;) We spent some of our time that weekend on some great mountain roads in-between San Diego and Laguna. (74, 371,133, etc) and on PCH between shorebreak spots. If it was just the wife and I , we'd probably own one of them and a full-size pick up. I'm 6'4" aand I can fit behind the wheel comfortably in a Mini. I enjoyed the passing power, and I never felt that I was beyond the cars ability even taking banked turns that were pretty tight at 50 to 60 mph. You could almost drive that car with the windows down just listening to the tires on the road. Fun, fun, fun to drive!

When we got married, I had a 78 K20 GMC, and She had a Civic EX. This car is like the Civic but five times better!

Now, two of his sisters-in-law have purchased the same cars. They are all happy too. This car is very popular here in our area. Versatile, and stylish. The company had one breifly before we went to the Prius. I only drove that car, a non S manual trans, around the block and accross town. It was okay, but not as gutsy as the S.

So that is my experience with the cars. YMMV.

A friend of mine has a 03 six speed S model. I have driven it. It is comfortable, has smooth power and is just fun to drive. I don't know of it having any major problems. I would buy one to drive back and forth to work, but am afraid of the tickets that I would get playing with it.

I had one pass me on the A45 Aotobahn between Siegen and Dillenburg one night, I had my rental Baby Benz on the floor and these lights were comming up behind me, I moved over and a Cooper S went by. Fun cars.

Hurley