Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't more people shoot single stack?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be shooting Single Stack in a heartbeat if that dang rail length rule wasn't stopping me! I got one of the old SA TRP Operators with the full length rail. I love the gun and would give about anything to shoot it in SS.

Im sure a gunsmith could "eliminate" the problem for you? :ph34r:

I think when I finally get decent classification in other divisions, I'll have a .38 super single stack gun built. I know it's minor, but I really like the feel of a 1911 .38super. It seems like the perfect combo of cartridge to gun, at least the few I have shot. Then I could shoot L-10 minor with it too!

Hmmmm.......

• 9 months later...

Yesterday and today were my first two matches shooting single stack and I have to say, I really like it.

Yesterday it was me and one other shooter. Today, I was the only single stack shooter.

It certainly takes away from the fun a bit not having others to shoot against. Care to discuss why there are such low turnouts for single stack?

I shoot SS and only SS but it is somewhat masochistic. I have to really take time with my pre shoot stage work and get it mapped out in my head. Once I have it down it takes so little to throw off your round count and force you into a standing re load. I had a great stage going today and had a very rare failure to feed, my hits were great but that standing reload felt like forever! I refuse to quit until I get to A class in SS but it seems like a steep hill sometimes. Practice, practice, practice. I wish more people would shoot it localy here as well but we get anywhere from 5-15 SS shooters at an avg club match.

Yesterday and today were my first two matches shooting single stack and I have to say, I really like it.

Yesterday it was me and one other shooter. Today, I was the only single stack shooter.

It certainly takes away from the fun a bit not having others to shoot against. Care to discuss why there are such low turnouts for single stack?

I shoot SS and only SS but it is somewhat masochistic. I have to really take time with my pre shoot stage work and get it mapped out in my head. Once I have it down it takes so little to throw off your round count and force you into a standing re load. I had a great stage going today and had a very rare failure to feed, my hits were great but that standing reload felt like forever! I refuse to quit until I get to A class in SS but it seems like a steep hill sometimes. Practice, practice, practice. I wish more people would shoot it localy here as well but we get anywhere from 5-15 SS shooters at an avg club match.

5-15 SS shooters???surprise.gif

That's a SS dream!!! Our local matches usually have 60 to 80+ shooters and we're lucky to have 5 in SS. To get anywhere near 15, it has to be a big State or Area match.

Can't wait for the WSSSC in Az again. Now that is a SS dream come true. Stages set up like regular stages but everybody shooting 1911s. Some with real high rd counts too!! Very nice biggrin.gif

Al

• 1 month later...

Shooting SS requires more discipline and work then any other class/ division. Probably why not many shoot SS.

That's funny. Don't tell the revolver shooters.......

Huh?

Revo shooters are hi-cap players in disguise. They shoot 3 of 4 targets and then reload. After engaging the 4th target they have 4 makeup shots available!

I enjoy shooting single stack occasionally. But the prevelence of stages composed solely or largely of 8 round arrays tends to turn all stages into Virginia count and after a while that gets annoying. On occasion that'll cause me to toss the 9mm skinny gun in my bag and shoot that which helps with my enjoyment (though not necessarily with my score ;) ). More often it encourages me to dig my open or limited gun out of the safe and shoot that instead. I realise that everyone is shooting the same stage in their chosen division so it is a fair/equal challenge. I realise that revolver guys have it tougher. But the topic of discussion was, "why don't more people shoot single stack" and for me that is one of the reasons I don't shoot more singlestack.

I shoot SS because I love 1911's and that's what I want to shoot. I don't like polymer guns, but I would say MOST people do, and they like the high capacity. And like everyone else said, stage design plays a large role and IMO, it's probably a bit more challenging because you have to reload more often and be more methodical.

I'm still very new to the sport, but cleaning mags is BS IMO. I've cleaned my magazines 1 time and I have over 2k rounds through my gun. While not a lot, the magazines weren't dirty, and are not hard to clean at ALL. Picking up mags? Most of the other members pick up mags for you while you listen to your score. I really challenge myself because I shoot what I carry, a 3" 1911 in 9mm. And man is it fun!

But, there are only ~1-5 SSD shooters in my area.

It's not uncommon around here to have SS'ers make up 20-25% of the match participants.

I think most people don't shoot it for the reasons mentioned. They want to go very fast and unless you are at a M or GM, going very fast in SS is a recipe for a lot of D's and Mikes since you don't have any makeup shots. A little thing like a steel or star in your 8 rd array really makes one focus on the sights.

Standing reloads suck and most everyone in SS will be doing one sooner or later.

I shoot SS exclusively and enjoy the challenge.

I shoot SS for a year before a found a deal on a STI limited gun. That year of mag changes with a SS made the double stack mag changes a cake walk, and I learned about breaking down stages 8+1. Ammo management. Still shoot at least one match I month with my SS.

I shoot SS because I love 1911's and that's what I want to shoot. I don't like polymer guns, but I would say MOST people do, and they like the high capacity. And like everyone else said, stage design plays a large role and IMO, it's probably a bit more challenging because you have to reload more often and be more methodical.

I'm still very new to the sport, but cleaning mags is BS IMO. I've cleaned my magazines 1 time and I have over 2k rounds through my gun. While not a lot, the magazines weren't dirty, and are not hard to clean at ALL. Picking up mags? Most of the other members pick up mags for you while you listen to your score. I really challenge myself because I shoot what I carry, a 3" 1911 in 9mm. And man is it fun!

But, there are only ~1-5 SSD shooters in my area.

I've had a piece of sand lock my gun up tight in the middle of a stage at the Missouri Fall classic last year. It got there from a mag that hit the ground the stage before. It may not happen often, but it will happen eventually and it cost me dearly.

I shot limited minor for a while with my CZ-75 and it was fun. Minor scoring really had me slowing down and looking at my sights to try to get all "A"s, though. Eventually, my shooting ability progressed enough to where I didn't have to devote so much mental capacity to the shooting part and I could devote more mental capacity towards stage breakdown.

At that point I figured why not try SS major for a real test of my newfound spare mental capacity. It has been a blast so far and I haven't had to do any standing reloads yet. It sure is nice to not have to concentrate so hard on the "A" zones as much as I was when shooting minor. After a few matches of SS major, lo and behold, my overall match percentages are about the same as they were when I was shooting limited minor. Apparently, scoring major mixed with double the mag changes seems to be pretty much equal to my minor scoring in limited with half the mag changes. Go figure!

I'm having so much fun in SS now that my CZ will probably just be my steel challenge gun.

Edited by gigamortis

Shooting SS requires more discipline and work then any other class/ division. Probably why not many shoot SS.

That's funny. Don't tell the revolver shooters.......

Huh?

Revo shooters are hi-cap players in disguise. They shoot 3 of 4 targets and then reload. After engaging the 4th target they have 4 makeup shots available!

which if you take begets another reload