Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Crosstraining Has Helped The Most?

Jeeper

I am curious what people do for cross training for shooting. Working out, cardio, martial arts, video games? What do you feel has helped you and in what way? I am curious because a while ago Mink and others stated that they felt martial arts helped a lot. Just trying to get ideas. Please post what aspects of your shooting it has helped(ie eye speed, movement.....)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah! My video game playing is "cross training" hahahahahaha! :lol: I wish.

These days I go for general fitness stuff--walking and running. I used to fence in college, and noticed the similarity between the lunge and techniques for "leaving" in IPSC, so fencing is good.

DD

1) Basketball. Funny thing BTW. Not the jumping/moving/running etc. has helped me there, but gripping the ball did. Once you can reliably grip a size 7 ball, the control over that little gun grip becomes amazingly solid.

2) Badminton

3) Weights

4) Fencing

Semi-competitive training, eg. for triathlons, marathons, whatever. I swam with a bunch of triathletes-in-training for a while, and if that doesn't whip your ass into shape nothing will. You're constantly pushing yourself right up against the wall. That kind of intensity also forces you toward efficiency of motion - since it's the only way you can even come close to keeping up with the pack.

I came away from that with a little epiphany. Under it all, everything is really the same. It's all about efficiency. Only doing exactly what it necessary to accomplish the task an no more.

Also, I think it's difficult to impossible for most to reach a truly outstanding level of performance on your own on the stairmaster. There's something about the positive energy of mutually pushing one another to be better and faster that makes training in groups so cool....and so necessary.

You nailed it.

I am in the process of getting back into the swing of things after a 6 month hiatus away from the gym, running and Shotokan because my daughter was born. I am finding out now just how out of shape I had become. My focus now is to get back to where I was, because lugging around less fat with more muscle seems like a good idea. And staying active in Martial Arts keeps the flexibility up, among other things. When one puts on muscle mass in the gym, one tends to become tight and inflexible, and that translates into slower. So if you could balance out losing fat, gaining muscle, and staying loose, that can only make you faster while shooting. And the focus gained while training is incredible. So in short, I believe some sort of good martial art is the most beneficial, but couple that with running and weight training to get well rounded.

Oh, yeah! My video game playing is "cross training" hahahahahaha!  I wish.

I taped a cheapy tasco dot sight on my Playstation 2 Namco Gun. It's almost like cheating really. Those monsters don't stand a chance with me shooting Open! Seriously though, I use it to train my eyes to focus on the target and not on the dot. It sure beats staring at a post-it note stuck on the wall.

:blink:
I regularly beat my head against a wall...that seems to carry over pretty well to practical shooting.

Kyle

Beat someone else's head against the wall. Builds upper body. B)

I like weights with a little cardio

That works...until the wall breaks. :(

used to do some aikido awhile back, after getting my second dan, i went to body building. I got big and slow so I just maintain my 180 pound frame with weights and running swimming etc.

I dont think it matters since most GM's is sporting a gut and still they win :D

Here's the exercise program I am using to stay in shape this year. You might want to take it easy at first, then do it faster as you become more proficient. It may be too strenuous for some.

ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE

STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAM.

NOW SCROLL DOWN...

NOW SCROLL UP...

That's enough for the first day

The cross training I like the best is:

Soccer or Basketball for cardiovascular fitness

Upper body weight lifting for recoil mangement

Badminton and racquetball for vision exercise

It may sound silly but I think Badminton and racquetball are the best sports for crosstraining for IPSC. Unlike tennis, both require you to take your eye off the ball see the place to shoot at and then return you eye to the ball or birdie(that is if your going to be competitive at the game). If you you buy quality badminton racquets it is still a very inexpensive sport with skill being gender nuetral. Racquetball is the best because you get the cardiovascular workout in addition to developing quickness and eye speed.