Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Crosstraining Has Helped The Most?

Jeeper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my cardio pacing around waiting 30 or more minutes to shoot a 15 second stage. :blink:

I've found paintball to be the best cross training for shooting. After shooting paint at multiple moving targets that shoot back, shooting at stationary non threatening paper seems slow. One would be supprised how hard it is to lean out from cover, snap shoot a quick round or two(if you can), and getting back behind cover as fast as one can. Think what skills like this will do for regular shooting.

If you have stairs in your house, RUN up them every single time. Do it for months & years and you'll find it helps tremendously to build a strong stance that doesn't wobble your gun around in the middle of a physical stage of fire.

Check out Travis in Matt's DVD4 to see a REALLY solid shooting stance. 10x better than mine. His legs let him do things most of us cannot do.

I'm not a natural athlete type. I find that building skills in other activities just builds skill in the other activities. My time dry-firing helps the most for our sport. If I didn't work 40-50 hours a week then I'd do other stuff, just for the enjoyment.

No matter what I'd say do at least 2 hours a week strength training. Calves, hamstrings, quads, front of shoulders, hands, and forearms - they all help. I feel the most sore 36hours after a workout so my last workout in a week is at least 48 hours before a match. Usually Thursday.

$.02

• 3 weeks later...

Law Dawg - I would argue that BE is relating golf to ipsec based upon visualizaton of the shot and not concentration. Then the (pro) golfer, having visualized what he sees and what he wants the ball to do, positions him or her self and then....applies the necessary swing based upon the the sub-conscious. Plus...he or she blocks out ALL other influences such as crowd and such before they make the shot. But what do I know! I am a Newbie. Good & Safe Shooting -JC :)

Looking back - two things, one physical and one mental - "wrenching" and Yoga.

I had no idea how much working as a mechanic helped my grip, until I quit. Then one day I worked on a friend's car all day, and later realized how much stronger my grip felt. From that point on, grip and forearm exercises became a part of my regular training.

And Yoga, for me, was the same. Because I was just doing it on my own - I didn't start doing it to "improve" my shooting.

be

I'm in a lot better shape now than I was last year because I've been walking and doing the ol' weight training thing. I have no idea how it will affect my shooting, but it certainly can't hurt me on the field courses any.

Last summer I did a little walking outside to acclimated myself for pistol and rifle classes in August and I know it helped. I doubt if I would have survived all three days of each had I not done even that little bit.

This year will be better. We shall see.

rhino - Take from me. A guy who is diabetic with permant kidney damage because of the diabetes not being diagnosed for over 5 years. Any effort you make towards physical fitness is a plus. I was heavily involved with the martial arts for years then faded away. I gained weight etc. What I had to unlearn (after being caught up in the pace of the business world) was to set small goals reach them and then expand on them. The key is to start and not to "listen" to the inner voice that says not to do anything. No one can guarentee that such activity will enhance their shooting but it will certainly enhance the body & mind. I know I shoot better when I feel better, in fact I do everything better when I feel better. Now,a little over 4 months from becoming 59, I have been back into "floor work" for over 5 years, plus tread mill & Bow Flex. BE's comment about "grip" and working on a car really grabbed me as I have been working on my grip as it has weakened with age. Although, I still think a rubber ball would serve me better than the Bow Flex. I just want to encourage you to to keep it up, set goals, meet them then raise the bar. The human body is a marvleous thing at any age. It will adapt to your efforts. But...I wouldn't be responsible if I did not suggest a Doctor's opinion if you have any health related issues. BE now has me thinking about Yoga. Something I passed up in the 60's in Califorinia. I think they have Yoga classes at our local Wellness Center. I think that would help me with my breathing too. Although I do excercise a pretty good breathing dicipline because of meditation & "floor work". You just keep on keeping on and before you know there will be changes and benefits that you just suddenly realize. I do hope that I didn't go "over the top" with this.

Good & Safe Shooting- JC :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Sherlock!

Forcing myself to walk is the hardest part. The weight lifting is more natural for me, even though I am a mere shadow of my former self. A ten year layoff is how one becomes veal! I am well marbled and quite tender! :lol:

Not wanting to be veal, plus being "saved" by a couple of fourteen year old girls (who spotted me during a benchpressing dilemma a couple of months ago) have been my primary inspirations. The latter was particularly embarrassing, and my progress since than has been acceptable.

I hope that in a few months I'll be able to move some numbers big enough that I can go to the gym without a disguise. ;)

rhino- Glad that you found some encouragement in what I posted. You never know, sometimes people take offense. Please consider the aerobic aspect of your new found training. I used free weights for a long time but having a cholesterol problem, all that I was accomplishing was raising my HDL, which is the good stuff but I bulked up. Even though I "looked" better, I didn't realize that my heart still had to operate with the bulk. Therefore the aerobic aspect.

What is really neat is that one does not have to get into "advertised" aerobics to start. ANY continous movment of arms, hands & feet will have a positive affect. Using music was the method I used to "get back". Any baisc 4x4 beat can be used because as you keep conditioning, you can double the basic beat or even triple it. One of the keys is the time element. 30 minutes minimum. Establish what your maximum heart rate is for your age. 220 - age = Max Heart Rate, (there is another & better formula but this works) then try to get to first 65 % of Max, then 70 %, then 80 %. Once you have reached 80% and maintain it for 30 minutes, you are really improving your entire cardiovascular system. Plus there is a bonus. You improve your immune system. ( I won't go into diet) LOL. Now...here is something that I choose to believe. If...one is using a lot of arm & had movement plus strengthing them, it helps one's eye to hand coordination. I have no proff of this but it just seems to make common sense. I should have addresssed this 1st but please do not be hard on yourself. Take small baby steps at first then progress. This is a process and a behavioural modification. Things like this take time so understanding this, set those short term goals and feel good about yourself. Good & Safe Shooting -JC

:)

Yea, I figured that. Just wanted to emphasize the need to get the aerobic thing down. Walking "fast" will put you there. i.e. Power Walking. I just think that it is great that someone is willing to talk about the realities of their current physical condition and their plans to improve it. Kudos to you. Good/Safe Shooting - JC :)

Hey guy. You will get there. Just keep it up. Small steps and the commitment to longer range goals gives me the incentive. Man, I remember when i just used to say to myself, "I will do this thing for so long and I will be fit. "NOT. Age has demanded that I address each portion of my routine whithin my limitations. rino - it really gives me great pleasure sharing things like this with someone who really wants to improve themselves physically. (the mental/emotional) just happen in the process. Thanks - Good/Safe Shooting - Jerry :)

I can't figure out if the racing is helping my shooting or the shooting is helping my racing. I do know in racing I achieve a level of total awareness and sensitivity to visual and other inputs that I have never come close to in shooting.

Since good shooting is like good anything there are a lot of parallels to ponder such as the meaning of fast, smoothness, time compression, etc.