Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you take back-up guns to matches?

I know Trapr hates polls and I figured he could use some cheering up. :roflol:

The cautious side of me says the travel, hotel, and match fee is worth lugging around spare rifle, handgun, and shotgun.

How much confidence do you have in your equipment?

Edit to clarify: I'm only talking about complete firearms. For polling purposes complete uppers or parts do not count.

:sight:

Edited by Bryan 45

I think this is a good question to have a poll attached.

If it is "doable" and I have the space and I have a proper back up gun, then yes, I do.

If I have to fly etc, then no. But if I drive, then I usually have a back up/spare parts handgun and AR-15.

Edited by cold

If I had back up guns I still wouldn't take them. I think a few cold ones will convince somebody to let me borrow their Glock, Benelli, or JP rifles at the match.

Why? Jesse, I thought you bought a new gun when yours needed to be cleaned :D

I sometimes take a backup. I about always take one when I'm shooting a 1911/2011. I rarely do when I'm shooting production.

I'd probably bring a backup rifle to large 3-gun matches.

Edited by paul0731

Since I usually fly to the out of state matches, three guns is more than enough to lug around the airports.

If any of my guns break, I'm banking on BerKim, or some other nice guy from our club, to share his ;)

If you have never needed a back-up gun.... you don't get out much. Its never a mater of {if} something is going to break / fail ----Its a mater of 'when'

The more you train and learn the better and luckier you get at fixing it early.

Years ago in a team event a broken firring pin on a team mates gun cost us first place a difference in prize payout of $6,000 The dam thing broke during our last timed event , that was our strongest event.

But I let that go years ago ..no really it does not haunt me .

Quand la Merde frappe le Fan

Just yesterday a squad mate's Benelli M1 broke the hammer spring, causing the plunger cap to wedge itself semi permanently in the bottom of the trigger group housing.

No one has ever heard of this happening . . . ever

But . . . squad mate #2 had a backup M1 and soon we were on our way again.

I currently do not have any back up's for Rifle pistol or shotgun . . . but I do have an extensive parts kit I will travel with on Thursday to AZ.

I shoot with too many people who have the same equipment to haul around all that gear . . . . But it is this year’s resolution to start a secondary arsenal "Just in case"

Voted yes, but let me clarify some... If its for RM3G, SMM3G, BRM3G, Larue, FNH,... ect big matches that I'm driving a fair ways for and paying a good sized entry fee, then yes. local 3 gun, no.

Exactly the match fee hotel cost travel expense and the cost of a lost week of work could pay for a new gun. and the exspence of match preperation. that said I am going to the SMM3g event with just 4 guns. But I am a newbey to 3gun

Voted yes, but let me clarify some... If its for RM3G, SMM3G, BRM3G, Larue, FNH,... ect big matches that I'm driving a fair ways for and paying a good sized entry fee, then yes. local 3 gun, no.

Exactly the match fee hotel cost travel expense and the cost of a lost week of work could pay for a new gun. and the exspence of match preperation. that said I am going to the SMM3g event with just 4 guns. But I am a newbey to 3gun

Mine are yours Jamie. You'll have spares there.

I always carry backups. It is the best way to ensure that nothing breaks B)

Not all of my backups are identical, so it would be completely up to the MD as to whether I was finishing for points or for fun, but I would like to think I would at least be able to finish...

If it is a major match, I bring all of my tools and back-up parts, pretty much everything that I could ever dream might come in handy (including my workmate portable bench). I am a stubborn SOB and will not let a tool force me to quit if I can help it.. I figure even if I can't figure out how to fix something, someone at the match will always lend a hand. And, if someone else has an issue, maybe my tools will make a positive difference in his / her weekend.

I used to, but do not any longer bring a back-up of any sort. I do carry a spare parts kit. I learned that when you have a gun failure its while shooting a stage, at which point it wouldn,t do any good to have a back-up in a bag at your car. Game over. There is usually plenty of time and resources at a match to fix the issue before the next stage or at the very least a squad mate will step up and offer theirs.