Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfer Costs

So, over the last few weeks, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new gun to support the habit. Since I know I'm going to want some custom work on it and I can't find anybody in the area that stocks competition gear, I started calling around to figure out how much a FFL Transfer would cost me. To my chagrin, I'm being quoted costs of $60 or more (which is about 10% of an M&P Pro or a stock CZ SP-01). At first I was peeved, but that faded to confusion. There has to be a reason for this.

So, to all the dealers here or anybody that knows, what is causing this fee to be so high? What costs are incurred to provide the service? It seems like the fee is to just receive the package because there's a separate one for the background check. Is there a ton of paperwork that goes with it? I'm not trying to rant and don't want this to turn into such. I'd just really just like to understand. Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not so much the cost incurred as it is that they lost their profit on a sale of one of their guns. They figure if you want to shop on line and find the lowest price, they will make it up in the FFL transfer. The local shop here charges $60 a pop also.

I use a fellow who sells guns at shows. He charges $20.00 for a transfer. Check out some of the online gun auction sites. They offer the names of shops and individuals who can do transfers. Call first to verify the cost. There is almost always an alternative to dealing with shops.

CYa,

Pat

Two years ago the shop down the street charged $35.00/transfer.

Now up to sixty- when I asked why-they respond-we have the same

item here for $100.00 more-so if you buy it else where-we need to

make up the diff. in the transfer! But I saved $100.00 in making

the purchase online, so OK I guess I still make out. :angry2:

It is not so much the cost incurred as it is that they lost their profit on a sale of one of their guns. They figure if you want to shop on line and find the lowest price, they will make it up in the FFL transfer. The local shop here charges $60 a pop also.

I can understand that logic as well to a degree. I'd be happy to buy locally, but they don't stock anything I want. I did notice that one place has one charge for a transfer on a new gun and a lower fee for a used gun, which makes better sense I suppose.

They have a Monopoly. Plus they'd probably rather you buy the gun from them. So, by the time you pay for shipping and FFL fee, they could be hoping that you could see the cost being close to what you would pay them for the same gun and buy from them. Im lucky in that I have a local dealer that only charges $10. (although Ive seen his dealer cost on some guns and acc., and he cant even get them for what I pay sometimes. Some of these distributors must be a ripoff.)

Other dealers just may not want to deal with it unless its really worth their time. They have to log it in, spend time working on the background check and other restrictions/waits/paperwork that some states may require. It all adds up, and may not be the ripoff we all assume.

The FFL's I use charge $20 to $25.

Others in the area range from $50 to $75.

It pays to shop around. I also try not to transfer in anything that dealer carries in stock. Last fall I bought a Glock 34 through GunBroker and had it delivered to a dealer that I thought did not sell Glocks. He added them to his inventory about a month earlier. He kinda joked about it but did the transfer for the usual $25. And he continues to get my business.

Bill

OK, not sure why anyone would charge that much unless they aren't thinking. We charge $30 friend or foe, stranger or relative, and we are glad to do them. When I was the sales manager at a high-end retail gun store, we charged $25, and were happy to do them. In todays environment I would rather do the transfer on a Glock or M&P than sell it, because the profit is the same as the transfer with no investment. Further, if you have the transferee in your store, and you sell ammo, holsters, accessories, and he just got a new gun, that is an opportunity. It also involves a good deal of goodwill and that never hurt anyone either. SO, if the dealer won't do it for $25-$35, then find one who will.

Back in Dallas, where I'm originally from, many dealers charged 10-15 dollars with a CHL. I moved here to south Florida for school, and when I asked, most places were charging 35-45 dollars. Oh well, I guess they have the right to charge what they see fit.

Before we retired in '06, I charged $25 for a transfer, new or used. Most of my transfers were used , since I tried to keep my prices competitive enough that when the buyer factored in transfer fees AND shipping costs on a new gun, it came out pretty close. I did pick up a lot of loyal customers for guns and accessories with that policy. :)

Back in Dallas, where I'm originally from, many dealers charged 10-15 dollars with a CHL. I moved here to south Florida for school, and when I asked, most places were charging 35-45 dollars. Oh well, I guess they have the right to charge what they see fit.

I charge $10. Its not really that much work to transfer a gun.

Check out some of the online gun auction sites. They offer the names of shops and individuals who can do transfers. There is almost always an alternative to dealing with shops.

CYa,

Pat

Big +1 I usually buy from Buds police supply. Their website has a place to look up FFL'S they have on file. I found a motorcycle shop right down the street that the owner is a gun guy and has an FFL. $25 cash gets the job done every time. :cheers:

Edited by Sarge

The local gunshop charges $90. They claim they got burned by the ATF on some transfer and they charge due to the effort needed to make sure the transfer is legit. I am friends with the store manager and even I cal BS on that one.

The big gunshop in town charges $40. But usually if you go to the owner and give him the "I found X for $$$ online but would rather spend my money locally" line he can almost always match the price on current retail guns.

I pay $15 to transfer locally. The other shops charge $30 and $40. Unfortunately for them, I'm not in their shops as much as I used to be and some of the odds and ends I used to buy from them get bought on the internet now. But I always try to buy a box of ammo or some sort of gadget when I'm in the $15 shop.

The nearest gun shop to me charges $85. I found a guy in Elgin who does them for $20.

Elgin transfer LLC

It's a bit of a drive to make twice (thanks to Illinois waiting period), but it may be worth your time to not have to fork over so much money for a transfer.

Edited by entropic

It's pretty much the same here. The one I dealt with for a stripped AR-15 receiver bought on-line wanted $50 for them to accept it and do the transfer. So I just bought a decent one from their stock instead at a price that was about $20 less than the price + shipping + transfer I would have paid otherwise and had it that day in 30 min.

Basically, they won't handle something that they could sell you. I can appreciate that. That's their business after all. Unless it's something that they don't sell and can't order for you (like a used gun third party transfer), the incentive just isn't there.

Most shops around here are $65. When you try to talk to them they tell you there is nothing you want they can't order.

One shop charges $50 plus SALES TAX of 7%. Doesn't matter if you are buying a $3,800 used open gun from an individual. They still charge sales tax.

Fortunately my good friend and gunsmith also happens to do transfers cheap.

The nearest gun shop to me charges $85. I found a guy in Elgin who does them for $20.

Elgin transfer LLC

It's a bit of a drive to make twice (thanks to Illinois waiting period), but it may be worth your time to not have to fork over so much money for a transfer.

Well, it is a hike from me (up near Gurnee), but it might be worth it on principle. Thanks for the tip.

I see it as a way for them to boost their bottom line. Exactly how much does it cost them to do a transfer? Usually, less than 5 minutes of their time. So, if they charge even $25, they are making $300 an hour. Easy money! Just think of their employees standing around all day, not making but one or two sales, with a small profit margin, then you'll understand why they charge so much. We (competition shooters) are a very small percentage of their business, so they are sticking it to the one time buyer, and we get caught in the crossfire.