Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfer Costs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the shooters at our local clubs 3-4 clubs make it a point to use local shooters that do transfers for $20 AND will not use anyone who charges more than $20 one of the local gun shops can't seem to figure out why no one uses his service anymore he charges $50. They also charge 36.00 1K --for Fed/S/Pistol primers. I just purchased same Fed/S/Pistol in February for $23.00 and I had never done any business with this store before, but I'm sure they made money. Think there is a possibility we are getting gougedblink.gif

I think there's a higher likelihood that they're not good businessmen....

One of the local shops recently relocated, and I wandered into their new location. Spotted some Federal small pistol primers (this was back when prices were coming down from crazy), and thought the tag said $4.95/100 (tells you how small the shop is). I asked about getting a price on 2,000, and the answer came at $70/K. I knew that without shopping around I could get primers delivered for less than $50/k, hazmat and shipping included.....

I don't need to buy primers locally from someone who clearly buys them from the same sources I can find by cruising the web....

• 2 weeks later...

I found a pistol I wanted on gunbroker and the dealer was located about an hour from me. I emailed him before I bid, just to make sure that he was good with a local sale/pickup. I got the following response.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do local pickups on an appointment basis only. You have to pay 8.3125% sales tax, a $25.00 convenience fee for background check and appointment, and 3.5% if using a credit card. You must be 21 years or older and be a New Mexico resident.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I'm stuck on the sales tax, but what the heck is a $25 convenience fee? By the way the auction was advertised as "free shipping" also. I have to drive an hour and he doesn't have to worry about shipping the pistol and I get charged an extra 25 bucks. I would be better off, having him ship it down here and paying my FFL the 25 dollar transfer. At least I will save the gas in my pickup.

Back in Dallas, where I'm originally from, many dealers charged 10-15 dollars with a CHL. I moved here to south Florida for school, and when I asked, most places were charging 35-45 dollars. Oh well, I guess they have the right to charge what they see fit.

Some of the "Dallas discount" may stem from the use of a CHL as the background check equivalent. The person I use charges about $10 less for a transfer if you have a CHL. Last time I used him he charged around $25 for non-CHL and $15 for CHL transfers.

I'm still curious how they know what the item costs....

Some years back I bought a .22 pistol from an online acquaintance (and FFL) in Texas and had it shipped to a local shop in NY. The shop owner wanted to charge me sale on the gun, not just the transfer. Figuring it would be easier to pay and go I gave him a price (the truth). Apparently he didn't believe me, so with me standing there waiting, he called the FFL in Texas to find out the "real" price.

I was a regular customer at that point, had spent a lot of money there and haven't been back since. The joke was on him, the phone call probably cost him 1/3 or more of what the tax was... the tax that I have no doubt went in his pocket rather than to the state.

I'm still curious how they know what the item costs....

My local shop, who I do not use for transfers anymore, Will not do a transfer unless the firearm is recieved with a invoice from the sender that reflects the sale price, and the purchasers and sellers name(s). He also required the shipping FFL to fax a copy of their FFL before he would send a copy of his, which probably contained a cover letter explaining their policy on the matter. He used to charge $25.00, but now charges $50.00 (plus sales tax) and I no longer do ANY business with him.