Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey---Single Stack Shooters

MichiganShootist

How do you guys get past the requirement to have them behind the hip area? Just got called on that recently, but I can't reach all of them if I start at the hip

Something to remember/figure out is exactly where the point of your hip is...iliac crest is it? It's farther forward than most people realize and almost at the top front of the front pockets on 5.11 pants.

I went with a Comp-Tac Belt Feed to save space and can get two more behind that, but #6 is pretty far into the small of my back. For my Production rig I went with Ready Tactical mag pouches and they might even take less space...I'd probably go with them if I was starting over on my SS gear. R,

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep six on the belt, one in the gun and wear cargo pants w/one in each cargo (for balance I guess), nine total, and this past January Arizona WSSSC match, I almost used em all!I came outta the gate tripped a little and one flew outta the pouch onto the ground, then I fumbled a reload, onto the ground a few seconds later, then there was this popper.....anyways it was somewhat re-assuring knowing that I still had options, so it didn't really slow me down, but I ended up slidelock on the last mag in my pouches

"Better to have it an not need it than need it an not have it," applies to guns, ammo, seatbelts, tools, first aid gear, and many other things.

But I run three or four on the belt and one to three in pockets, including the Barney, depending on what the stage looks like. I need to get some different mag pouches, something made for competition rather than my mismatched leather gear that takes up too much real estate (not to mention being sloooow). When I step up to the line at a longer field course, some Limited/Open shooter always asks if I have enough magazines. <_< I have not run short yet, but I have finished at slide lock on my very last mag once or twice. And I have comprimised by reloading at less than optimal positions because it was the only way to finish the stage without running out of ammo--doing a standing reload rather than reload on the move because I couldn't afford to dump those last two rounds left in that mag when I was moving. (That's rare, but it has happened.)

I carry 6 on the belt, 1 in the gun, and 1 for a barney. Total of 8. If you find yourself on a big stage and fumble a reload, have to make up shots to get back on your plan, or fail to fully insert a mag all the way you will be glad you had all those mags.

• 2 months later...

I usually run six on the belt and one in the back pocket to top off with. If it were a big stage or had a lot of targets I knew I might have trouble with I might bring another to start off with in the gun, but usually, I start with the last mag (hardest to reach) in the gun.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a 34" waist, and at a match, I always have 7 Wilson ETM's loaded. 5 on the belt, 1 in the gun and 1 that I top load from and keep in a forward pocket in case a texas star gets the best of me. :rolleyes:

Don't laugh, it's come in handy once! You can never have too much ammo.

Better put it in a back pocket. Forward pocket is not Singlestack legal and bump you to Open if you retrieve and use it.

I carry 6 on the belt, 1 in the gun, and 1 for a barney. Total of 8. If you find yourself on a big stage and fumble a reload, have to make up shots to get back on your plan, or fail to fully insert a mag all the way you will be glad you had all those mags.

Same here. Use the Spring Loaded Magazine Carrier (SLMC) by Garrett Holsters. Great product, great guys to deal with. Call and ask for Ron.

Not affiliated with this company, only a very satisfied customer.

Edited by Lewiston

Unless you use a quad mag. holder.... how do you guys fit 5 or 6 mags. on your belt????
How do you guys get past the requirement to have them behind the hip area? Just got called on that recently, but I can't reach all of them if I start at the hip

http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

Ready Tactical mag pouches take up very little room. I fit 6 on my belt fairly comfortably for a 32" waist.

I still need to add some velcro to them though. They slide around a little because they're so linearly dense along the belt that the two halves don't touch for a good 8 inches.

I usually carry one more than the number of reloads.

That is it. No more than what is necessary.

I have no reason to put 49 rounds on me for a 16 round stage.

Safariland 771 all the way on a Safariland ELS belt, with a Safariland holster. Wait did I mention it was Safariland :roflol: I have seen the light and become a zealot. :bow:

I have a 34" waist, and at a match, I always have 7 Wilson ETM's loaded. 5 on the belt, 1 in the gun and 1 that I top load from and keep in a forward pocket in case a texas star gets the best of me. :rolleyes:

Don't laugh, it's come in handy once! You can never have too much ammo.

Just for the sake of those reading this thread

carrying ammo in your front pocket takes you out of SS and puts you into open!

carry all the ammo you want but it has to be behind the hip in prod and SS

Edited by Odawgp

For SS minor 4 on Belt 1 in gun & 3 barney one of which is for top off.

For L-10 major 4 on Belt 1 in gun 3 barney one of which is for top off.

For Open - Big stick (29+1) in gun & four 140 mm (22 rounds) on the belt. Fourth mag (furthest to the rear)is used for top off.

Like to carry a few extras in case of a dropped mag or a malfunction where you have to drop a mag.

Hello: You can reach mags behind your back. As "Merlin Orr" told me, "if you can wipe your ass you can reach the mags" :roflol: I still like the Safariland 771's for USPSA and I am liking the Comp-Tac singles for IDPA :cheers: Thanks, Eric

:roflol: I don't care whoya are that is funny. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I run 6 on the belt. I use the 5th one back as a barney mag and insert the 6th one back to start the stage. That way I have 4 full mags for the stage on my belt and a 5th -1 round incase someone nails down one of the steel plates (I swear they do that sometimes) and I need some extra rounds or if I fumble a mag. There is an extra in my bag if I need it on one of thoes cruel non single stack friendly stages where you're reloading after a couple of shots to make sence of the thing.