Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you spend a year on shooting?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reloading about a grand for lead powder primers and stuff twice a year.

Spent 4-500 on holsters, mag pouches, mags for me and the son. Will be doing some uspsa stuff this year.

Do guns count? Didn't think so!

I'm looking at right at a grand out of pocket for just this weekend, not including the time spent reloading or actually driving (i.e. time that could have been spent making money), 2 classes, 3 days, 2 nights in a hotel, 2k rounds, 10 hours of windshield time, meals, snacks, etc...

The first year of competing was more expensive than subsequent years are going to be. During this first year, I bought the reloading press and accessories plus a few thousand rounds of factory ammo before I started reloading. I spent a few hundred on final touches to the competition gun and a backup gun configured in a very similar way. I had 3 breakages during matches and had to spend money on repairs.

With about two years' worth of powder and primers in the reloading room, which I acquired during year one, a quick calculation comes up with roughly $2,500 per year for the next two years of competing. This covers match fees for 6 matches per month, 1,000 bullets per month, gas to and from the matches. It does not cover any gun repairs nor expenditures resulting from the probable "need that new gun" itch. It does not cover donut shop stops before Sunday USPSA and Steel Challenge matches.

Shooting is my retirement activity. I don't golf, own a motorhome, take ocean cruises, or go to Europe for sightseeing. The way I look at it, I'm already money ahead so I don't keep track of the cost. I'll quit when I die or run out of money.

Shooting is my retirement activity. I don't golf, own a motorhome, take ocean cruises, or go to Europe for sightseeing. The way I look at it, I'm already money ahead so I don't keep track of the cost. I'll quit when I die or run out of money.

Exactly the way I feel about it.

I'm way over $2k so far this year. Instead of buying a new gun to save money I'd have been much further ahead to just keep shooting Single Stack. Of course there were other reasons.

I have too many hobbies. and too many types of shooting. I always have to have the best of the best and want to be at the top of my game so with that being said I spend too much. and I tend to buy too many guns I never shoot. probably time to clean the closet

Spent last few months putting together a 3 gun setup while shooting mini uspsa matches locally with glocks shooting limited minor.

New to sport shooting in general...

Just bought a fully loaded d650 w/ tax return to reload 9mm...

Can't decide whether to save up for a limited major gun or an open gun in 9mm... I already load for 9 and a limited gun (although initially cheaper) could cost as much, or more, than an open gun if I have to buy .40 cal conversion parts for my Dillon, haha.

(Interested in open because I like to go fast and don't have much practice with major of recoil)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bigbob21

I figure it's cheaper than owning a hunting lease or being in $1500/yr club w/ everything else that goes with it. Living by the water it's a whole lot cheaper than having a boat too.

In all honesty though I really don't keep up with it too much. I may start to feel bad...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by jdublineman

I save a ton by shooting used guns.

if only it were reasonable to drink used wine........ :surprise:

Seriously, it seems to me that unless you are doing it wrong, the guns aren't that expensive anyway. I spend more in ammo every year than the cost of a gun, and that's before gas, entry fees, and various other travel expenses.